Trails of Cold Steel series to be ported to PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Chary, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States

Prominent video game localizer, XSEED, has put out a press release detailing their future plans for the Legend of Heroes series of games. First off, Trails of Cold Steel I (originally released for PS Vita and PS3) will be coming to PC this summer. If that's not enough to sway you, the game will be getting graphical updates, and 5,000 more lines of translated dialogue, 50% more than the original release. The sequel, Trails of Cold Steel II will also be ported to PC, later down the line. XSEED also revealed that Trails in the Sky the 3rd will receive the same PC treatment, (and is apparently to be a PC exclusive) and will release in the west on May 3. You can view the video above to see the PC and PS3 visual comparisons for Cold Steel.

You can read GBAtemp's official review of the original release HERE.

:arrow: GBAtemp Press Inbox

DarthDub, Riyaz, sephurchin and 4 others like this.

2. Enteking

Enteking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    This means it is coming to PS4 and X1 as well as these consoles are basically PC's.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    No, it doesn't. Games still have to be ported to PS4 and Xbox One; they won't just "magically" work on those platforms if it runs on Windows on a PC.

4. Enteking

Enteking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    But porting them is effortless, inexpensive and easy. I bet it will be announced until the end of E3. It would be stupid and a waste of resources / sales potential not to do it so it will happen.

Last edited by Enteking, Apr 7, 2017
  5. GerbilSoft

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Porting between any modern platform isn't rocket science. The same effort would be needed to port from PS3 to PS4, Xbox One, "PC" (Windows), or Nintendo Switch. Simply having an x86 CPU doesn't automatically make it "super easy", nor does it mean it's "basically a PC". (PS4 in particular has a chipset that's definitely nowhere near what would be considered "PC" architecture.)

DarthDub likes this.
  6. Enteking

Enteking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    But it really is super easy. All modern engines and development tools support all platforms and the fact that these consoles use 100% PC hardware and fully compatible graphics APIs means 95% of the work is already done with the PC port. Just wait and see.

7. GerbilSoft

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    No, they don't use "100% PC hardware".

PS4 uses a totally nonstandard southbridge that does things differently for seemingly no reason: https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2015/console-hacking-2015-liner-notes/
    Xbox One runs everything in a hypervisor, and games don't run in a "standard" version of Windows.

if they really were "100% PC hardware", we'd be seeing people running full desktop versions of Windows on both of them. Currently, Linux has been ported to PS4, but has required a lot of changes due to it not being a standard PC. I'm not sure about Linux on Xbox One. Neither system can run standard desktop Windows.

8. Enteking

Enteking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    Of course they have copy protection but you basically just export your PC game from the IDE and fill digital distribution paperwork. There is really not that much work behind a port these days, apart from fine tuning.

9. GerbilSoft

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Honestly, it sounds like you've never actually written a program past a basic "Hello World" demo, because that's not how it works. Among other things, you don't "export" a game from an IDE. Also, compiling software is done basically the same way regardless of whether or not the target platform is "PC", "PC-like", "ARM", or something completely different. There's no secret "magic" needed for making a Wii game, for example.

Never mind the fact that there are multi-platform game engines like Unity where switching between 3DS, Switch, Xbox One, etc. is as simple as selecting a different target platform.

tl;dr: The fact that a game will be ported to "PC" does not automatically imply that it will be coming to PS4 or Xbox One, regardless of how similar they are to "PC".

Last edited by GerbilSoft, Apr 7, 2017
    Subtle Demise and DarthDub like this.
  10. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Will a collector's edition be available? I doubt it but I'd still like to see it happen (bought the CE edition on Vita but I happen to like collecting these).

The Kiseki/Trails series are excellent games for when you want to get hit hard with jrpg nostalgia. Though to be fair, I'm a huge Falcom fanboy so my bias is through the roof.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Very true. However, if you want a console version of Trails of Cold Steel 3, I believe it's coming out for the PS4 first in Japan. Not sure if that version will be localized.

11. DarkShinigami

DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Soul Society
    i believe a ps4 port is highly possible and likely. my reasoning is that these games has a carry over feature from the last game. if the 3rd comes out on ps4 then that would mean they will remove the feature or port the first 2 and keep the feature. unless they plan something evil like telling you you wanna carry over you need a vita and cross save but that won't happen.

Last edited by DarkShinigami, Apr 7, 2017
  12. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    Canada
    In front of my Computer
    Bought it on my PS3 when it was like 80% off on the PSN.
    Damn PSN sales, i bought so many games on my PS3 because of those 80% off sales :P

13. death360

death360 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Welp another game added to the backlog.

14. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    PC will be the best version as loading time is annoying in the PS3 version. I expect the PC version to load much faster. You might have as many as 5 hours fewer playtime just due to less loading.

You get 60 fps as well.

Last edited by flame1234, Apr 7, 2017
  15. SirBeethoven

SirBeethoven 3.145.... something. E=mc2

Nov 26, 2015
    United States
    It would be smart to port on Nintendo Switch

16. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Cool. Good series, though I already have it for my vita.

Spoken like a true 12 year old without an ounce of real knowledge outside of your own uneducated, ignorant opinion.

17. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    loading times are fast on rpcs3

18. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    PC has a larger userbase and is more of a set and forget scenario rather than having to fill shelves with copies

Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    A Nintendo console getting cross-platform game?

Haha, nice joke.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  20. sephurchin

sephurchin GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    United States
    Sweeeeeeet. 3rd is finally here!