Traces of Alien Bacteria Found on Meteorite

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope Rockmanforte was joking, but in any event he is wrong. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that there are not aliens. By the same token, nowhere in the Bible does it say there are aliens. It says well, absolutely nothing about aliens at all unless you believe some crackpot conspiracy theory interpretations from people who have seen stargate one too many times.

I'm assuming it was meant to be a dig against ultra-conservative fundamentalists, the type of people who believe that the earth was formed 6,000 years ago in a week and hasn't changed since then. But really, those people are a small (but, unfortunately, very vocal) segment of christianity that tend to give the rest of us a bad name. You can believe in both science and the Bible at the same time, it's not that hard. What really is science? Our way of understanding the universe. Who made the universe? So really, science is just another way of understanding God's design. As Einstein put it, if the universe has a beginning, it must have a beginner. That in itself troubled Einstein and many other physicists immensely, because an infinite universe has no need for God, but one with a set beginning does.

Seriously, if God had told people in the desert 3,000 years ago how he created the universe and set up the laws of physics and quantum mechanics and everything so that life could exist, they would have had no idea what he/she was talking about. Nor would many people today. So it's related to the language of the day so they could get the overall message, which is really what was important and not the nitty gritty details. Enough of a soapbox for now....

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
I hope Rockmanforte was joking, but in any event he is wrong. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that there are not aliens. By the same token, nowhere in the Bible does it say there are aliens. It says well, absolutely nothing about aliens at all unless you believe some crackpot conspiracy theory interpretations from people who have seen stargate one too many times.

I'm assuming it was meant to be a dig against ultra-conservative fundamentalists, the type of people who believe that the earth was formed 6,000 years ago in a week and hasn't changed since then. But really, those people are a small (but, unfortunately, very vocal) segment of christianity that tend to give the rest of us a bad name. You can believe in both science and the Bible at the same time, it's not that hard. What really is science? Our way of understanding the universe. Who made the universe? So really, science is just another way of understanding God's design. As Einstein put it, if the universe has a beginning, it must have a beginner. That in itself troubled Einstein and many other physicists immensely, because an infinite universe has no need for God, but one with a set beginning does.

Seriously, if God had told people in the desert 3,000 years ago how he created the universe and set up the laws of physics and quantum mechanics and everything so that life could exist, they would have had no idea what he/she was talking about. Nor would many people today. So it's related to the language of the day so they could get the overall message, which is really what was important and not the nitty gritty details. Enough of a soapbox for now....

Unless Rockman is a troll account, every post *I'VE*, (emphasis on I've), seen him post has been about religion, or religious centric things.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's obvious that there are aliens out there. The universe is huge, probably infinite. No way our pathetic little planet is the only one with life.

Elvarg

Zyzz™
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nothing to harmful destroying the space time continuum.

To bad ill be dead till anything extraordinarily happens with this research whats beyond the Milky way.
sleep.gif

edit: also As a wise man once said: "The world doesn't revolve around pokemon".

-Zyzz

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mysticwaterfall said:

This is my problem with a lot of the ultra religious hypocrites. They love what science can do but not what it says about the universe because they can't understand it, so god mustn't be able to either. Also they can understand 100% what he wants and means. The hubris is unbelievable.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
meh, i'm not surprised about news that there are other lifeforms outside earth, but i'm glad to hear that the day that i'll meet an alien may really happen. just wish they won't colonize earth.

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
mysticwaterfall said:

That's odd, I had the impression that those who believed in the 6,000 year old earth, and made in 7 days make up the majority of Christians, and are not just the ultra-conservative fundamentalists that give Christians a bad name.
unsure.gif

But anyway, this to the rest of the post: *thumbs up*
happy.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Due to the controversial nature of this topic, it can be easy for the discussion to degenerate into an all-out flamewar about religion.

Just a friendly reminder to keep things civil. So far you guys are doing a great job.

And please stay on topic. Although no flaming has occurred, the posts are veering away from alien life and is moving towards discussion about the Bible.

*vanishes*

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
ineap09 said:
mysticwaterfall said:

*snip*
happy.gif

i agree. but i'm an apatheist, and i think the bible is a set of myths or legends that was passed for generations carefully in order for the people to group themselves and avoid individualism like tigers and monkeys living alone or in small groups in their own territories. also to set standards to avoid things such as [censored], theft, murder and such. the bible was a long term plan that was to shape humanity in the benefit of the many.

pardon me but this just an idea which i still have insufficient research. so this is just an opinion.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ineap09 said:
mysticwaterfall said:
I hope Rockmanforte was joking, but in any
*snip*
That's odd, I had the impression that those who believed in the 6,000 year old earth, and made in 7 days make up the majority of Christians, and are not just the ultra-conservative fundamentalists that give Christians a bad name.
unsure.gif

happy.gif

Really depends where you go, it varies amongst different places, for instance the southern US. But the overall average (at least, in the US, I don't claim knowledge of the rest of the world) is against biblical literalism, as shown by polls. Granted, there are still a hodgepodge of beliefs inside this majority - there are old earth people who don't believe in evolution for one, and then there are people who believe evolution happened but that God guided the process, and myraid other combinations. But, that is straying too much from the topic.

Back on topic, another thing that makes me skeptical about this study is about how everybody trumpets how this guy works for NASA except NASA itself. With how much of a big deal they made about that silly arsenic thing, you'd thing they'd be all over this if they fealt it was reliable. Yet, they don't have a single mention of it on there webpage: http://www.nasa.gov/news/index.html

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Giga_Gaia said:
It's obvious that there are aliens out there. The universe is huge, probably infinite. No way our pathetic little planet is the only one with life.

The universe is not infinite, that's a common misconception. According to the "Big Bang Theory", the one which has the largest ammout of followers, the universe is finite, but it expands at a fixed, slowly increasing rate due to the increasing ambit of the "shockwave" caused by the explosion. At some point, the universe will start shrinking.

With that in mind, galaxies which are closer to the "core" of the universe have a high probability of having life on them *if* the conditions are good to support it.

As far as intelligent life is concerned, seeing how humans are devastating the planet, if there ever was intelligent life except of humans, it probably messed up its own planet and died out

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Giga_Gaia said:

The universe is not infinite, that's a common misconception. According to the "Big Bang Theory", the one which has the largest ammout of followers, the universe is finite, but it expands at a fixed, slowly increasing rate due to the increasing ambit of the "shockwave" caused by the explosion. At some point, the universe will start shrinking.
Well, there are multiple definitions of infinite. In the "never ending," or traditional sense, it's not infinite. However, looking out, we don't know what fraction of the universe we're seeing (beginning, middle, end, et cetera), and it's therefore infinite in that respect. There are no boundaries set around the universe, so it is therefore infinite. The "never-ending" use is wrong, but the universe is infinite in other definitions.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
I'm still highly skeptical of this report... like the one person said, for extraordinary claims you need extraordinary evidence. Many people have claimed to find exofossils before, and every single one of them was proven false. So I'm not really holding my breath on this one.

In response to Vash, I don't think refuting this as anything to do with government propaganda, that's just conspiracy nonsense. I think refuting this has more to do with people being overeager to see what really isn't there, which has been the case of every single one of these claims dating back hundreds of years.

Could life exist somewhere else in the universe? Possibly, there's nothing that prevents it from happening per se. The 121 factors so far identified for having life develop could certainly exist elsewhere with the sheer size of the universe. But again, that's a double edged sword - the sheer size of the universe makes it exceedingly hard to find at the same time, even if it is out there.

The government would never let nasa report they found life. it would have to be the point where we had visitors and they couldn't hide it. but micro findings like this will never be confirmed true. it may sound like conspiracy theory, but i'm sure this is the way the government operates. they tell you what you need to know, things you can find out on your own.

RiderLeangle

Trophies
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
Country
United States
OK seriously... Lets hope these aliens aren't fluent in trolling too (Wonder if anyone gets the reference I'm making)

Hop2089 said:
as long as it isn't some tentacle monster that wants to do everything under the sun to us.
Somehow reading that post and seeing your avatar seem very fitting together..

Hop2089 said:
I think most alien life are friendly and would love to interact with us. I just hope there are hot alien chicks like Lala Deviluke from To Love Ru.
Now I haven't seen that so I didn't know who that was... So I looked her up.. I agree with your statement.. Also theres the possibility these Aliens could look like Anime.. Dream come true...

QUOTE(Hop2089 @ Mar 5 2011, 02:21 PM)
Nah, I refuse to believe that, all alien life aren't like Kyubey who want to destroy us all.
kyubeyverizon.jpg

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:

Well all the evidence currently points to an ever accelerating expansion, with the "big freeze" of total heat death caused due to that expansion rather than the big crunch.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
GeekyGuy said:
This is perhaps the most important part of the article:

“Maybe life w?? seeded ?n earth — ?t developed ?n comets f?r example, ?n? ???t landed here wh?n th??? things w?r? hitting th? very early Earth,” Shostak speculated. “It w???? suggest, well, life didn’t really b???n ?n th? Earth, ?t b???n ?? th? solar system w?? forming.”
OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL ALIENS!!
ohnoes.png

tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0