Torment: Tides of Numenera Story Trailer Showcases Events Set 1 Billion Years In The Future

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by T-hug, Feb 9, 2017.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Behold the Legend of the Changing God in this Cinematic Story Trailer for Torment: Tides of Numenera, Headed to PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 28th.

This epic cinematic story trailer recounts the lore leading up to the very moment that players begin their odyssey as the Last Castoff – the flesh-and-blood by-product of a megalomaniacal deity known as the Changing God. A billion years in the future a man discovered a way to cheat death. A seeker of knowledge and wisdom, his ultimate goal was to leave an unforgettable mark on the world.
    In his quest for everlasting legacy, he discovered ancient technology – the Numenera – that allowed him to transfer his consciousness to a body of his own design. Thus he became known as the Changing God.
    In a bid to escape death, the Changing God inadvertently awakened a fearsome, ancient beast known as The Sorrow – a terrifyingly powerful guardian of balance, bent on destroying the Changing God and all of his Castoffs. It is at this point that the dramatic events of your birth unfold and your story to answer who you are, and what your legacy might be, begins..

:arrow:Torment Official Site

2. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    According to their site:

No plans for Switch support right now, but thanks for asking.

T-hug likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, Planescape was a place where all history collided, so it was not uncommon to bump into Thor on your way to the futuristic bathroom. The setting was insane, even for D&D standards. It's only apt that the successor should be equally interesting.

Last edited by Foxi4, Feb 9, 2017
    T-hug likes this.
  4. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The dev's original comment was a little more blunt, something to the tune of, "can you imagine a game with a million words on a Nintendo console? It's not the audience we're going for." Which of course is ridiculous, because who might want to play this game in 1080p on Nvidia hardware? Surely nobody, except the millions of people who will be doing that very thing regardless of Switch support.

I'll still be buying it on PC regardless, because it's Torment and that story sounds dope, but if they wanted more money out of me I'd likely be willing to buy it again on Switch.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 9, 2017
    netovsk likes this.
  5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, I don't think the title is suitable for a portable. It wouldn't be very playable outside of docked mode - these kinds of games take forever to explore, that's not something you can do with limited battery life.

6. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I don't think anybody is expecting to beat BotW in one charge, either. However, there's always the option to play on the TV while charging.

netovsk likes this.
  7. Ryu Kenshin

Ryu Kenshin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    The Changing God looks a lot like X-Men Apocalypse :rofl2:
    - He cheats Death by changing bodies.
    - He gains more knowledge and power each changes and become a human god.
    - His followers betray him in the end.
    - Dark Phoenix ... I mean the Sorrow hunts him.

Last edited by Ryu Kenshin, Feb 10, 2017
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Beat? No. Accomplish *anything*? Probably.

9. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    For BotW it's only going to have ~3 hours battery life, but that's still plenty enough to accomplish multiple things on one charge. With a game like Torment there's no reason the dev couldn't get a good 5-6 hours out of the battery.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    And why is that? Just because the game is, to a large extent, pre-rendered doesn't mean that it's not polygon-rich. It's running on modified Unity, it's nothing to scoff at.

11. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Unity is very nice looking on the high-end, but even then it's not the most taxing engine. Which is precisely why Switch is capable of a lot in Unity and UE4 at 1080p/720p.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    So far we don't know what the Switch is capable of as we're basing our predictions on rumours (which are not enthusiastic), but that's fair, I suppose.

13. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    but, but, but, I don't have a ps4 or xbone, and my pc don't play fancy games (the trailer playing in 720p made lag on my pc), and the only console I can see myself buying in the future is a Nintendo Switch. I never get to play the cool games.