Gaming Top screen turns completely red

theedge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I've had a broken hinge for a few months...didn't change the case yet (I actually just ordered one from DE 2 weeks ago...)

and yesterday well when I boot the nds lite, the top screen turns red...the bottom screen works fine, i can select the game etc...but the top screen is solid red and I can't do anything about it.

If I restart the ds multiple time, sometimes ill get a normal screen

What's the problem? the ribbon got loose cuz of the broken hinge? should I get a new top screen aswell?

Thanks

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ummmmmm why the hell are you wasting money replacing parts? they are fucking cheap as shit on ebay....... or even used in gamestop.. why.. just why oh why would you put money into repairing a ds lite???????????????

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Most certainly the ribbon is broken somewhere. They're cheap as dirt, buy one and test. If it works, it's the ribbon, if it doesn't it might be the screen, and then it's up to you to buy one or not (they're also cheap) as the problem might also come from a broken connector, which are pretty much impossible to replace if you're not super-skilled in soldering and have good equipment. Luckily you can check by eye if the connectors are broken or not.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ummmmmm why the hell are you wasting money replacing parts? they are fucking cheap as shit on ebay....... or even used in gamestop.. why.. just why oh why would you put money into repairing a ds lite???????????????

Because a replacement DS is 50+ bucks and a replacement ribbon is two bucks? You'd really rather spend 25 times the necessary amount to get a new DS rather than replace a part on your old one? And replacing the parts is "wasting money?" You need to revaluate your attitude a bit.

Reactions: 1 person

theedge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol thanks for the answer, and yea...buying on ebay im likely to get a refitted ds anyway...so why buy another one that will most likely needs repair when i can just repair the one I already have?

As for the top screen well If I leave it on for 5 min or so the screen comes back and its fine until i turn it off and leave it off for a while...

When it gets power for a while it comes back to normal (without moving it around or anything)
so anyway I'm gonna get a ribbon just incase (don't I need the full top screen to get the ribbon) if anyone could link me a nds lite ribbon id be grateful! thanks :)

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most certainly the ribbon is broken somewhere. They're cheap as dirt, buy one and test.
Since when can you sell dirt for $10??
Go to a lowe's and tell me how much a bag of soil runs for :P
On-topic: I had the same problem with my brother's DS, I ended up switching the top screen and ribbon from a broken ds (wouldnt turn on but screens were still good). In retrospect I do believe it was just the ribbon because at certain angles the screen would look decent but most of the time it was just red.

theedge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see thanks everyone.

Another Question...if I want to change the ribbon...don't I have to change the whole top screen?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem with my DS Lite, except the top screen turns white.

Basically, you ALWAYS (even when you're not using it) HAVE to keep the screen propped up at about a 170 degree angle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: