Tool to patch R4/M3/R4SDHC firmware

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by villadelfia, Dec 9, 2008.

Dec 9, 2008
  1. villadelfia
    OP

Newcomer villadelfia Member

Belgium
    For anyone that cares:

I made a couple of patches that patch the _DS_MENU.DAT file to autoboot the file "YSMENU.NDS" instead of "DEFAULT.NDS"

The reason for this is very simple, if you use option 3 in R4YSauto Ysmenu will constantly try to load itself because it also autoboots DEFAULT.NDS and the ini file option does not work.

This patch supports the following firmwares: R4, M3 Simply, R4 SDHC (1.24), N5 (1.26). All of these are tested and working.

If you want support for more R4 clones, send me the firmware and I will try to add a patch for them.

DOWNLOAD: http://villadelfia.bemaniso.ws/sharedshit/...rmwarepatch.rar

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Looks very nice! Will this also work with future versions, or only with the current one? Would this also be possible for the N5 (the software is modified a lot...)? And do you mind if I build it in R4YSauto and add you to the credits? [​IMG]

3. villadelfia
    OP

Belgium
    You can use it yes. Also it might only work on the current version, but that's a moot point because only the SDHC updates anymore. It will work on future versions of that UNLESS the address of the DEFAULT.NDS string changes, which it probably won't because they only change stuff at the end of the file.

The newest N5 fw (1.27) has some weird encryption now. So i wouldn't know how to use it on that...

However, I can do it on the 1.26 firmware I think, give me a few minutes. As on the R4 and other, only the _DS_MENU.DAT needs to be patched, the _AX_MENU.DAT doesn't contain anything to do with the autobooting.

EDIT: First post updated

4. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't get it, can't you just rename ysmenu.nds (encrypted) to _DS_MENU.DAT ?

I don't see the difference between 'as a firmware' option and 'autoboot' from r4 menu, they both achieve exactly the same thing?

5. villadelfia
    OP

Belgium
    There are 2 good reasons for this:

1. the clones can't use an YSMenu.nds renamed to _DS_MENU.DAT as firmware.
    2. some people with legit cards may want be able to boot into the normal firmware.
    (Note: for the second reason there are other solutions such as renaming the original firmware to DEFAULT.NDS, but then the original would have the constant reloading problem)

6. nekokaburi

Newcomer nekokaburi Newbie

United States
    totally late to the topic, but my R4 for whatever reason has never supported themes or autobooting default.nds (trust me I tested thoroughly), and I was curious if you thought this patch would cure that problem (not both of course)?

7. spik3m1nod4

Newcomer spik3m1nod4 Newbie

United States
    this isn't working for me

8. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I'll alert the media! The news crew should be there in about an hour, okay?