Hacking [Tool] Joy-Con Toolkit

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey, I'm not sure if it's just slow but when I try to use the IR Camera, the program just freezes after it says "Configuring". The easter eggs don't appear to work either and I think trying to do NFC tag makes it crash. Not sure what's wrong. :(

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey, I'm not sure if it's just slow but when I try to use the IR Camera, the program just freezes after it says "Configuring". The easter eggs don't appear to work either and I think trying to do NFC tag makes it crash. Not sure what's wrong. :(
Hmm, that's not good. You have a good signal?
Also the IR camera function is blocking for now. That means that if a packet is lost in configuration part, it will stay there. So you need to close it and try again.
Lastly, for the easter eggs, you can't hear a thing? or it comes slow or strange noises?

EDIT: Also what sdk/net/vs did you used? It is supposed to be compiled with vs2017, net4.7.1 and win sdk 10.0.16299.0.

Last edited by CTCaer,

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm, that's not good. You have a good signal?
Also the IR camera function is blocking for now. That means that if a packet is lost in configuration part, it will stay there. So you need to close it and try again.
Lastly, for the easter eggs, you can't hear a thing? or it comes slow or strange noises?

EDIT: Also what sdk/net/vs did you used? It is supposed to be compiled with vs2017, net4.7.1 and win sdk 10.0.16299.0.
Your version made it freeze too, so I don't think anything's wrong with my compiling of it. And attempting to use the easter egg just makes the program freeze up as well. My signal should be fine... hmm.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah, the new compile immediately just gives an error with the IR.
The new version fixed the easter egg. Because I now use a pointer I had to change the memcpy function and pass the pointer as is.

About the IR, watch out for a new commit I'll make. It will show an error code and we'll know in which step it has problem.
EDIT: The commit that shows in which step there was an error is up.

Last edited by CTCaer,
Reactions: Ep8Script

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Both NFC and the IR camera give me "3MCUONBUSY." I hope that helps you solve the issue, I have no idea what's wrong with it.
And I wanted to tell you to also test NFC. Great job!

So it actually doesn't get any far.
What happens is the following:
  1. Switch to NFC/IR input report mode: OK
  2. Enable MCU: OK (got the cmd)
  3. Wait for MCU to boot/initialize/get ready: Problem.

Are you familiar with USBPcap?
This can capture packets from a BT adapter (USB or built-in) and can let me see what your controller replies back.
The way to do it is the following:
  • Install usbpcap. Restart.
  • Connect the controller.
  • Go to C:\Program Files\USBPcap and run USBPcapCMD.exe
  • Enter which hub to capture (choose the one that the bt adapter and the controller is connected).
  • Enter a filename: mpahmpah.pcap
  • Let it run and open Joy-Con toolkit.
  • Go to IR and press capture or stream once.
  • After the error, press again (so I can have to samples).
  • Close USBPcapCMD.exe console window by pressing X or hitting ctrl+C
Then send me the PCAP through PM or email (the file has mac addresses).

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

This can capture packets from a BT adapter (USB or built-in) and can let me see what your controller replies back.
  • Enter which hub to capture (choose the one that the bt adapter and the controller is connected).

I really like the way how you are keeping this supported. Good to see! Kudos :D

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Hello,

Very unfortunately, my laptop is a school one and it's the only one I have with Bluetooth support for the time being. Given it's a school laptop, I'm unable to install things that require admin privileges... which I believe usbpcap will need. :( I'm very sorry, I want to help out but maybe if you released a binary version to this thread proper you could see if any others have the same issue...? And if so, they could help out. It's a shame it doesn't work for me, but I hope you can get it to work soon.

I can install the program by extracting it from the exe but unfortunately of course I need the driver. It's a shame. :/

Reactions: CTCaer

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello,

Very unfortunately, my laptop is a school one and it's the only one I have with Bluetooth support for the time being. Given it's a school laptop, I'm unable to install things that require admin privileges... which I believe usbpcap will need. :( I'm very sorry, I want to help out but maybe if you released a binary version to this thread proper you could see if any others have the same issue...? And if so, they could help out. It's a shame it doesn't work for me, but I hope you can get it to work soon.

I can install the program by extracting it from the exe but unfortunately of course I need the driver. It's a shame. :/
Yeah, it's a kernel driver filter so you can't install it.
I can think of several ways to get admin privileges but this is not the way to do it.

I thought of a nice way though.
Accept a single command. This command will enable a flag in hidapi that will dump in a log file the traffic between the controllers.
I'll send you a PM when it's done

Reactions: Lixmo and Ep8Script

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought of a nice way though.
Accept a single command. This command will enable a flag in hidapi that will dump in a log file the traffic between the controllers.
I'll send you a PM when it's done
That's smart! if you could get that to work it may be helpful, I hope it is. I might not be able to do it tonight but will definitely try tomorrow (AEDT).

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok it helps a lot.

You have v3.89 fw and the reply for the mcu enabling is
05 00 18 06
x05 is the mode (IR here), x06 is the state (initializing here) and the thing that changed is x18.
In previous versions (3.86 and lower) it's x12, so my app expects x04001206.

I can just wait for a x0500XX06 reply and fix it easily. But I'll find out first what it means.

More dumps from other people that have the same problem will let me completely point it to this reply.

EDIT: So I just got a dump from @Ep8Script
The same thing. Update 5.0.0's 3.89 jc fw.
Also I just checked again and the expected reply is x04001206
So x04 is not the mcu mode. It's probably a version number that went from 4.12 to 5.18 (based on the same decoding of fw number).
Hmm...

Also that means that the fix is easy

EDIT2:
The commit that fixes joy-con fw 3.89 is up in github. I'll wait for the people that tested to send the OK and if everything goes well, tomorrow morning (CET) we will have the new release

EDIT3:
It seems that Switch update 5.0.1 has a new joy-con fw. If someone can dump the spi after the update and also test the IR/NFC and make a pcap would be good. Maybe these numbers changed again.
Or this is the same with v5.0.0 jc fw update and they included pro controller update also

Last edited by CTCaer,
Reactions: Lixmo and Ep8Script

Lixmo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
EDIT3:
It seems that Switch update 5.0.1 has a new joy-con fw. If someone can dump the spi after the update and also test the IR/NFC and make a pcap would be good. Maybe these numbers changed again.
Or this is the same with v5.0.0 jc fw update and they included pro controller update also
At the moment I'm at work.
I can send you the spi and the pcap after my work in about 10 hours -_-

EDIT1:
I downloaded the fw 5.0.1 but there are´nt any new updates for the Joy Cons. In your last release the IR works fine with the latest joy con fw 3.89.

Last edited by Lixmo,
Reactions: CTCaer

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
New Joy-Con Toolkit v5.0.0 is now released!
  • IR camera and NFC support
  • Switch update 5.0.0 controller colors (Grips) support
  • Check changelog in OP for more!

mwg8Msy.png

Last edited by CTCaer,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
This IR camera is really not bad at all. Will it be possible to change the settings on the fly in future versions ?
Does the IR camera have the possibility to ajust the gain by itself depending on the amount of light ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...