To the people who pirated Tears of the Kingdom early-- how is it?

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I'm at work or not playing it, I dream about playing it... so yea I love it. GOTY for Nintendy for sure! :grog:
I have sunk a ridiculous amount of time into the game, got 2 stamina wheels now B-)

Reactions: BigOnYa

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In my experience the first shrines were pointed out to clearly. Predefined markers spoil the search of an open world.

An infinite durable great weapon to smash everything makes for repetitive gaming, now I have to manage weapons before I go in, it's part of the challenge.

I'm with the other guy. This game is probably over you're head, you prefer better guided games to hold you're hand all the way.
You just don't understand the appeal of better games, of how BotW and TotK could've been so much better like those other games...for the last time, I prefer open-world games that respect my limited free time and don't have player-hostile mechanics. It's not "over my head"; it's just incredibly bad game design.

Clearly, trying to explain myself is a waste of time in itself; I'm gonna go play a good game now. Peace.

• Haha
Reactions: Blythe93 and x3n0

cmoig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
I just finished the main quests after 50 hours
It was a great game , their gameplay philosophy of having the player think and analyse as to where to go next is amazing.

The one minus I find in this game is specifically one main quest where the devs literally did not put any hint, or rather the hint was too broad that the player has to check everywhere sky - land - and depths, that is the one part I have to check online.
Fifth Sage Quest

Besides that one quest, I loved this game better than in Botw , having played the previous game, I knew what to expect. The game has a better pacing and quests/ side quests than Botw I think. The storytelling is much more immersive than the last game. No amnesia stuff thankfully, so connection with characters from the previous game are already developped.

I don't see much difference between Botw and Totk besides quality of life stuff. The durability issue can now be fixed using a cool ability. Shrines have a lot more different puzzles.

The main flaw I find with this game and the previous game is exploration is not well rewarded. Koroks are still a thing, and Shrines as well. Finding a shrine is not quite rewarding as I see it.

In 50 hours, I barely touched any side quests, so I will continue when I'm in the mood.

I do highly recommend this game , especially if you liked Botw

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Richard, bro, sorry, but for me games with map markers already placed for you are what I would call "mind-numbing". Especially when paired with openly visible lists of activities you can fill out. And doubly so when the individual activities are something trivial.

I can stomach maybe one game like that a year and that's when the setting etc. is something I like.
Last year it was Ghost of Tsushima (I like Japan), this year The-Game-That-Cannot-Be-Named (I like its world/setting).

It's fair to say that BotW and TotK probably go too far in the other direction, and that many activities in them are simplistic too, but for me it's much better than opening a map and seeing premade icons to visit.

cmoig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
You just don't understand the appeal of better games, of how BotW and TotK could've been so much better like those other games...for the last time, I prefer open-world games that respect my limited free time and don't have player-hostile mechanics. It's not "over my head"; it's just incredibly bad game design.

Clearly, trying to explain myself is a waste of time in itself; I'm gonna go play a good game now. Peace.
The open world formula of ubisoft as you describe is boring to me. It is a passive way of playing games, going from objective a to b to c non stop without taking the time to think to solve mysteries.

The open world formula used in zelda and elden ring is great though, it makes the player think carefully and play the games actively. Zelda may take it a bit too far but it is still a great open world formula.

Me as a player do not want to feel like a child, being guided. Horizon Dawn has a horrible way like a lot of other open worlds where the main character starts talking by themselves " maybe I should take the ladder there " , they try to help the player but it is kind of insulting to the player in a sense.

While I understand the frustration of not getting an easy marker to objectives, I fully embrace the zelda formula in this case.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The open world formula of ubisoft as you describe is boring to me. It is a passive way of playing games, going from objective a to b to c non stop without taking the time to think to solve mysteries.

The open world formula used in zelda and elden ring is great though, it makes the player think carefully and play the games actively. Zelda may take it a bit too far but it is still a great open world formula.

Me as a player do not want to feel like a child, being guided. Horizon Dawn has a horrible way like a lot of other open worlds where the main character starts talking by themselves " maybe I should take the ladder there " , they try to help the player but it is kind of insulting to the player in a sense.

While I understand the frustration of not getting an easy marker to objectives, I fully embrace the zelda formula in this case.
I mean, yeah, what Horizon apparently does is demeaning, but that level of infantilising is not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about being blatantly guided and hand-held like that; just removing the possibility of getting lost, of getting confused about where objectives and important landmarks are.

I also don't want a map utterly flooded with markers either, like what Ubisoft does; that's way too many copied-and-pasted generic activities just for the sake of having "more content" - no, I agree that's freaking awful.
BotW has a fine amount of content; all I want is for that to be immediately visible whenever I open my map, perhaps only after activating a nearby tower. That's literally all I want - visibility.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're talking past each other. You want more direction in your open world games, others don't want the kind of direction you want. In your case, you can get what you want be reading a few guides or looking at an object map. There isn't usually an option to turn off the markers and handholding of other games though. Personally I have times I want to be told where something is and other times when I'm happy to go looking for it provided you've given me the clues to lead me there. If I get lost, I go look at a map or guide. No in game hand holding needed. I suppose there is a generation of us that grew up playing games with very few instructions on where to go, who to talk to, and what to do.

Reactions: NeroLink

slicer2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think they made too much of divided side quests, my guess it to make the game appear to last longer, when you could just make it quicker to get. You have to repeat a lot of things to get something, like the bubbuls gems, or the supporting plate, it's kind of annoying to do the same thing over and over, this makes things not hard to get, but tedious.

Trophies
XP
Most open-world games give players the courtesy of not getting lost or wasting time finding content, by having map markers already placed for you.

POV: Stones of Barenziah quest in Skyrim. Holy hell I hated that one- like 24 different tiny things to find and not a single hint as to where any of them are.

Overall I both somewhat agree and disagree with some of the points you've made throughout the thread. If anything they could allow more accessibility options in the game to allow more markers, or turn off durability / stamina to accommodate players who both like or dislike said features. I personally prefer playing with those aspects on, and although that's my personal preference I can completely understand disliking the concept.

I mean, yeah, what Horizon apparently does is demeaning, but that level of infantilising is not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about being blatantly guided and hand-held like that; just removing the possibility of getting lost, of getting confused about where objectives and important landmarks are.

At least it wasn't the more recent GoW games. You don't figure out a puzzle in 5 seconds and it'll immediately make Atreus give you the solution.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here