Hacking Tired of ridin' dirty...

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what I don't understand and maybe someone can explain it to me cuz i'm a noob, but why can apple devices be jailbroken in a few days/weeks. Yet the 3DS has been years and no hack?

Since Apple is one of the richest countries in the world, you would think they would have better security than Nintendo. Is it just because there are a ton more people working on iphone hacking than 3ds hacking? Or is Nintendo really better?

Apple is a country? You wish. This is like something a crazy fan would say. Anyway, mobile devices are easy to hack since their infrastructure is less complicated than a game/portable console. (I think)

Apple has its weak and strong points; so does Nintendo. I think more people like Nintendo, though.

Reactions: mr. fancypants

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what I don't understand and maybe someone can explain it to me cuz i'm a noob, but why can apple devices be jailbroken in a few days/weeks. Yet the 3DS has been years and no hack?

Since apple is one of the richest countries in the world, you would think they would have better security than nintendo. Is it just because there are a ton more people working on iphone hacking than 3ds hacking? Or is nintendo really better?

iOS is built off of BSD (somewhat like Linux which is what Android is built off of). This means that much of the information to hack those devices is available in documents and even source code so all that is needed is a way to modify/upload files and break the security in the process. In contrast, the 3DS system is totally closed from prying eyes. Nearly all the information has been gathered by people opening up, soldering onto, and using handmade tools and hardware to find it. In essence it is like comparing using Google Translate to figure out what a foreign page says vs trying to figure out Egyptian symbols that are mostly warn away.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cracker is correct (love that name and avatar pic BTW).....in that IOS is heavily documented and also has a crap load more dev kits in the wild where 3DS and other 'console' platforms have to be disected 'bit by bit' (literally). Sometimes prior knowledge of the companies products or OS can be useful (this was the case with Sony with PSP hacking helping the knowledge base for PS3).

One other factor though is manpower....honestly just not that many people are workign on console hacking these days....the financial incentive is limited and the 'public' hackers have been greatly discouraged by things like $ony going after an awesome guy like GeoHot just for figuring out how to JB ps3 3.41 with a USB device delivering a payload that exploited the system. With IOS they have lots of people hacking/cracking and they tend to combine efforts more. I know for IOS 5 and 6 there were a bunch of people working on the JB almost around the clock to get them out fast.

Lastly the piracy equation is a little different for IOS devices because of the amount of cheap and free content on the AppStore. In a sense it doesn't hurt Apple or the devs nearly as much as it does the console manufactures and their 3rd parties so the incentive to fight it is much lower.

My advice is if you want to help the cause learn low level programming, firmware programming, or become an electronics engineer and then you can help carry the torch in the future of console modding B-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk