Tired of ridin' dirty...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Waygeek, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    It's just not as easy as it used to be is it? The DS era was so simple... doesn't look like it's gonna be that way with the 3DS. Even the PS3 and 360 are a proper ballache to get modded. Seems like the software engineers of these devices have finally bested the modders. Plus theres more advantages now of going straight, like worry-free online etc... I've kept my 3DS XL offline since I bought it (it's on 4.10) but it just doesn't look like this is going to do me any favours, I'm really tempted to update.

Games are just so damn expensive, US imports are $60 here, there's a ton of games I want on the 3DS now, wish there was a cheaper bundle of a few games I could buy together...

I have a question though. I live in the Far East, and have a US 3DS XL. What language store will I be forwarded to if I do finally login? If it's the US one I might update but if it's the one for the country I'm in, I can't even read the damn language hah.

2. 59672

59672 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    The "ds era" wasn't always so simple. After slot 1 cards it became a lot easier and especially so with flashcards that could run clean roms without issue.

As for the eshop it's the US one but the thing is it may not be useful to you if you don't have a US/canadian/(mexican?) credit card, unless of course you get prepaid nintendo cards but stores that ship them always put a fairly large markup to get good profit.

For 3ds games there is the gateway which is being released but yeah, at the cost of not being able to play any games past 4.5 (may be possible but not likely I'd say), for some ~$80 is worth it to play all the current games. Thing is if you update past 4.5 then that's it for the thing.

3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    You'll get the us eshop, in whatever language your ds is set to.

Also, the 3ds isn't hacked yet because all considered, it hasn't been out very long. If you're on firmware 4.5 or below, you can buy the gateway 3ds card, which is more expensive than a normal game (80 usd) but you can put any in-region rom on it. Granted, so far it doesn't work on newer versions, and no idea if it will.

4. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    I head the gateway is not region-free? Plus theres other negatives, like losing save files and not being able to put other games on same mSD...

5. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Welcome to life before the DS.

6. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Hey worst come to worst you could sell "your special 3DS firmware" for a profit because I'm sure there are alot of 12yr olds who will be willing to shell out the 80 dollars for this thing when it releases.

7. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    The save file problem got fixed a while ago. While it's true Gateway doesn't region unlock, and requires one mSD per game, it's only $20 more than the US imports, and it comes with the ability to play a bunch of games.

$60 for one game or $80 for X games (depending on how many you want to play). Even with the mSD swapping (or ROM swapping from a computer), it's a steal (literally).

8. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Hmm... I suppose that wouldn't be terrible... this constant watching my back for updates etc. though... has anyone commented on online play with the gateway? Can you play online with games like Mario Kart running off a gateway or is that out of the question due to the system being on a higher firmware level...

9. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Are nintendo cards region locked?

10. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    The 3DS is region locked, however the GW3DS is not. It can play Japanese roms on a Japanese 3DS, US roms on a US 3DS, and so on.

The GW3DS doesn't allow you to go online with any games. It spews out error 002-0123.

11. Cyberdrive

Cyberdrive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    Since you likely don't have to worry about voiding the warranty anyway, you should make a dumper/flasher, dump your 4.1 firmware, update to 4.5 using suitable game cart (Gateway doesn't support updating system FW from SD) and dump FW 4.5, then update to the latest FW (current 6.2.0 is downgradeable) and dump that too. This way you're getting online functionality while retaining the ability to go back to use Gateway 3DS or its clones in the future.

12. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Haha this is exactly what I'm talking about. Way too hard to get things done these days! Definitely thinking its better to roll legit.

Do Nintendo points card work in all regions or are they region locked?

13. Gnargle

Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

Jul 29, 2008
    England
    I believe they're region locked.
    I have a PAL 3DS and got told by all corners of the internet that the NTSC eShop cards wouldn't work with it (I was in America and wanted to buy games but obviously couldn't get retail) but if you have an NTSC 3DS, then I imagine any eShop card from an NTSC region would work. You may just have to change the 3DS' region settings to match the country.

14. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    Point cards are region locked. Been down that road before.

And rolling legit... Why not just buy games you want to play instead of "everything"? And since you're in Korea, why not try Play Asia? I've used them a fair amount since moving to Japan. The US games I've bought aren't higher than regular US prices (sometimes cheaper) and I've never paid any import taxes either (and almost always free shipping or dirt cheap). Try'm out.

15. Punkonjunk

Punkonjunk Member

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2011
    Meh. I've been legit on the 3ds for a while. I've made enough purchases to rack up 2200 nintendo points. I don't even know what to spend them on.

Gateway is more expensive than a 3ds game. 3ds games can be resold. I can manage multiple games by just buying them. if we eventually get a multi-rom card that'll also let me pull my own e-shop purchases onto it (yeah, right) that'd be great, but pointless at this point... with the gigantic SD cards being so cheap and such.

While the convenience would be cool if it were the starting point, I'd really like to see homebrew. better implemented multi-tasking. linking specific DS games directly from the homescreen for launch, instead of ugly lists.

and HOMEBREW. EMULATORS.

Imagine... SNES emu with specific layers set render with more or less pop than others. 3D SNES GAMES.

THATS what I'm holding out for.

emo kid 68 likes this.
  16. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    I'm really looking forward to gameboy advance emulation. And this probably wont happen but 3ds riivolution would be amazing

17. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    But why would we care about a 3DS cart providing a GBA emulator? A DS cart does that just fine. Homebrew too. Would be nice to have 3DS spec homebrew but that's a weird thing to cling onto hope for hah.

18. Rinnux

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    I don't care about a 3ds cart providing a gba emulator. I care about a 3ds homebrew channel. And yes I do realize that is very unlikely

19. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo

20. Rinnux

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    By that I implied a homebrew channel that had a gba emulator app.