Hacking Tired of ridin' dirty...

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
it's all thanks to firmware updates that makes modding and using homebrew much harder on current and future gaming consoles, it's extremely difficult to hack anything, and when future consoles have auto updates it's going to get even more impossible, i do miss the good old days of game genie, freeloader and action replay on the gamecube to bypass the region lock, you can't do things like that anymore and it's quite sad really.

to get my homebrew fix i have to use android, it's completely open source and provides all the emulation i need, no forced firmware updates, no bans, just mod away without a care in the world, good thing is major companies like amazon, google and madcatz are coming out with android gaming consoles so we have a bit more to play with in terms of homebrew, i think that is where hacking and homebrew will end up eventually, all the major players (sony microsoft and nintendo) have made it impossible to mod anything anymore but we don't need them anymore tbh, even the major modders themselves have said they don't want to waste their time with the wii U and prefered android instead because of how open it is, it doesn't help that android phones, tablets & consoles can now catch up ps3 graphics quality and it's only going to get better from here on out.

anyways i've had my say and i'm understand TC frustration with all of this, options are limited and all that.

While the convenience would be cool if it were the starting point, I'd really like to see homebrew. better implemented multi-tasking. linking specific DS games directly from the homescreen for launch, instead of ugly lists.

and HOMEBREW. EMULATORS.

Imagine... SNES emu with specific layers set render with more or less pop than others. 3D SNES GAMES.

THATS what I'm holding out for.

that is what i would like to see PROGRESS on the 3DS but all we get is a half assed locked down flashcart that is struggling to survive because nintendo have already fried that flashcart with a firmware update before they can even release it, like i said before, i don't care anymore about homebrew support on the 3DS android provides all that i need without the stress of firmware updates (the 3D snes games sounds cool though but nintendo need to make their money from their 3D classic series so they won't be having it)

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i never got the point of keeping yourself on a old firmware.
may as well keep a DSi or original DS your limiting yourself from future games, & features.

although the sudokuhax for DSi could only be obtained before that certain firmware. that seems to be only case tho.

Waygeek

OP
Trophies
XP
What benefits would I get from updating? I've heard people mentioning new Mii games or something?

i never got the point of keeping yourself on a old firmware.
may as well keep a DSi or original DS your limiting yourself from future games, & features.

although the sudokuhax for DSi could only be obtained before that certain firmware. that seems to be only case tho.

I never updated because of experience with the PS3. It's wise to not update these days if you plan to mod your unit. Gateway does not work on latest firmwares, for instance.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What benefits would I get from updating? I've heard people mentioning new Mii games or something?
It depends on what firmware you're upgrading to and from. The benefits you can get from updating are: ability to use Gateway (if you update to 4.2-4.5), ability to play recent games (if you update to the firmware that comes packaged with their carts or higher), or access to the eShop and online capabilities (if you update to the current firmware).

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No but like... perks. Like is there new Mii games other than that Dungeon crawler etc?
Well, assuming you're not holding out for Gateway or any future flashcart that requires a certain firmware, there's no reason not to update. It's not like you'll lose any quality to your device or anything like that (though I suggest waiting a day or so before updating to new firmwares in case another firmware fiasco hits). And if you are holding out for hacking capabilities, then I would say no, there are no perks worthy of making you update and lose flashcart compatibility.

I have yet to play my 3DS yet, since I just got it a few days ago and am getting Gateway, so I know nothing of Miis or the like.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just not as easy as it used to be is it? The DS era was so simple... doesn't look like it's gonna be that way with the 3DS. Even the PS3 and 360 are a proper ballache to get modded. Seems like the software engineers of these devices have finally bested the modders. Plus theres more advantages now of going straight, like worry-free online etc... I've kept my 3DS XL offline since I bought it (it's on 4.10) but it just doesn't look like this is going to do me any favours, I'm really tempted to update.

Games are just so damn expensive, US imports are $60 here, there's a ton of games I want on the 3DS now, wish there was a cheaper bundle of a few games I could buy together...

I have a question though. I live in the Far East, and have a US 3DS XL. What language store will I be forwarded to if I do finally login? If it's the US one I might update but if it's the one for the country I'm in, I can't even read the damn language hah.
I expect great progress in the 3ds scene in the coming months, perhaps even a better flashcart by Christmas.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No but like... perks. Like is there new Mii games other than that Dungeon crawler etc?

Mii Force - Sidescrolling shmup
Flower Town - Flower growing game (Puzzle Swap 2, IMO)
Warrior's Way - Rock Paper Scissors... Mii army style...?
Monster Manor - Puzzle Swap 3 x Luigi's Mansion 3 x Find Mii 3.

I'm having a lot of fun with all 3 except Mii Force, which is just pissing me off because of how slow paced and repetitive it is.

Unfortunately the games are not free. $4.99/ea or $14.99/all (don't know if they're still doing the bundle)

Also more hats. A LOT more hats.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's just not as easy as it used to be is it? The DS era was so simple... doesn't look like it's gonna be that way with the 3DS. Even the PS3 and 360 are a proper ballache to get modded. Seems like the software engineers of these devices have finally bested the modders. Plus theres more advantages now of going straight, like worry-free online etc... I've kept my 3DS XL offline since I bought it (it's on 4.10) but it just doesn't look like this is going to do me any favours, I'm really tempted to update.

Games are just so damn expensive, US imports are $60 here, there's a ton of games I want on the 3DS now, wish there was a cheaper bundle of a few games I could buy together...

I have a question though. I live in the Far East, and have a US 3DS XL. What language store will I be forwarded to if I do finally login? If it's the US one I might update but if it's the one for the country I'm in, I can't even read the damn language hah.
The store language might depend on the language setting of your 3DS. Either way the store is english on my norwegian 3DS and would certainly be english on a US 3DS.
You can set your system region to Brazil to be able to use any credit card on the eShop.

The "ds era" wasn't always so simple. After slot 1 cards it became a lot easier and especially so with flashcards that could run clean roms without issue.

As for the eshop it's the US one but the thing is it may not be useful to you if you don't have a US/canadian/(mexican?) credit card, unless of course you get prepaid nintendo cards but stores that ship them always put a fairly large markup to get good profit.

For 3ds games there is the gateway which is being released but yeah, at the cost of not being able to play any games past 4.5 (may be possible but not likely I'd say), for some ~$80 is worth it to play all the current games. Thing is if you update past 4.5 then that's it for the thing.
Paying on the eShop isn't an issue, the brazilian eShop will accept any credit/debit card. Supposedly it even has some games cheaper than the US one.

The GW3DS doesn't allow you to go online with any games. It spews out error 002-0123.
Ah shit. Didn't know about that. I really hope they fix that.
Does local wifi (or download play) work at least?

Mii Force - Sidescrolling shmup
Flower Town - Flower growing game (Puzzle Swap 2, IMO)
Warrior's Way - Rock Paper Scissors... Mii army style...?
Monster Manor - Puzzle Swap 3 x Luigi's Mansion 3 x Find Mii 3.

I'm having a lot of fun with all 3 except Mii Force, which is just pissing me off because of how slow paced and repetitive it is.

Unfortunately the games are not free. $4.99/ea or $14.99/all (don't know if they're still doing the bundle)

Also more hats. A LOT more hats.
Man, they cost over twice that here. If they were only $5 I might buy them. But at that price something with very limited play time doesn't seem like a good deal.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personal suggestion: go legit, buy games as you can

it might suck but that's life, normal people have to work hard to get money to buy the stuff they want XP pirating is a convenience some people take for granted as if though they're obligated to it and I think a certain amount of people have forgotten that pirating aside there's a real gaming industry out there where people pay real money to pay real games and that if they want games they need to properly participate in that like normal people and the lack of easy ways to pirate things is hardly anything to complain about (and if they do complain about it, they're assholes IMO--just saying this in general for some hardcore pirates, not talking about the TC specifically and most people aren't like this, just SOME are)

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
The store language might depend on the language setting of your 3DS. Either way the store is english on my norwegian 3DS and would certainly be english on a US 3DS.
You can set your system region to Brazil to be able to use any credit card on the eShop.
Paying on the eShop isn't an issue, the brazilian eShop will accept any credit/debit card. Supposedly it even has some games cheaper than the US one.

So, I can use stores from different regions? That's interesting... might need that by the time Phoenix Wright 5 is released!

What TheRealJdbye wrote is likely only valid for PAL regions as I have heard that trick before from Aussies and Britons. For example, my US Wii does not allow a store change. My friend's PAL Wii does. My JP 3DS does not.

Waygeek, what region 3DS do you have? U/E/J? Whatever region 3DS you have, you do need to be on current firmware to use the store so unless you're going to forgo the possibility of that 3DS flashcard, you won't likely be buying eshop games in the near future.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What TheRealJdbye wrote is likely only valid for PAL regions as I have heard that trick before from Aussies and Britons. For example, my US Wii does not allow a store change. My friend's PAL Wii does. My JP 3DS does not.

Waygeek, what region 3DS do you have? U/E/J? Whatever region 3DS you have, you do need to be on current firmware to use the store so unless you're going to forgo the possibility of that 3DS flashcard, you won't likely be buying eshop games in the near future.
Nope. Pretty sure Brazil doesn't show up on PAL 3DSes at all. This was tested by me on my brother's NTSC-U 3DS (bought in Singapore) and works fine.
The reason you've only heard that trick from people in PAL regions is that if you live in America you don't need this trick so it only makes sense for people in PAL regions to use it :P

All you do is change the region in the system settings, it warns you that the available eShop items may be different and that any currency you currently have will not be usable until you change back, and that's it. After accepting the warning the eShop is automatically changed. This works on my PAL 3DS too, but I have no reason to change it (well maybe except for being able to link my Club Nintendo account)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lawl, the community has really gotten used to "plug and play" solutions. If you think GW3DS is convoluted, think about the Game Boy Colour before proper flashcarts were invented - no SD/MMC/CF slot, just a flasher connected to a PC via the Serial Port, because USB wasn't "a thing" at the time. Only a handful of ROM's at a time, mostly just one since you could only store one save file on the bloody things... and a lot of people actually had to make them themselves since global shipping wasn't nearly as easy as it is now. GW3DS is a compact solution - use the installer, plug it in, done. You don't even have to flash it so you really have no reasons to complain - it's still easier than I expected the first solution to be.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope. Pretty sure Brazil doesn't show up on PAL 3DSes at all. This was tested by me on my brother's NTSC-U 3DS (bought in Singapore) and works fine.
The reason you've only heard that trick from people in PAL regions is that if you live in America you don't need this trick so it only makes sense for people in PAL regions to use it :P

All you do is change the region in the system settings, it warns you that the available eShop items may be different and that any currency you currently have will not be usable until you change back, and that's it. After accepting the warning the eShop is automatically changed. This works on my PAL 3DS too, but I have no reason to change it (well maybe except for being able to link my Club Nintendo account)

I know what you mean. AFAIK, US systems only could get the NA eshops and the JP, only JP. The JP one doesn't have country options, only prefectures. I'm not sure how you changed your brother's NTSC-U 3DS's country setting to something other than North America though.

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

DS era? Simple?

Am I the only one who remembers WifiMe and FlashMe? Having to buy a wifi card just to send demos to your DS? Eventually with FlashMe we were able to make a short in the DS and then using .ds.gba files flashed to our Slot 2 cards we could load them? It pretty much worked maybe 1/6th of the time and was always annoying.

Trust me, it took a long time to get to the stage of functional and cheap slot-1 cards.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know what you mean. AFAIK, US systems only could get the NA eshops and the JP, only JP. The JP one doesn't have country options, only prefectures. I'm not sure how you changed your brother's NTSC-U 3DS's country setting to something other than North America though.
NTSC-U consoles list pretty much every country in America. Same way the PAL ones list every country in Europe (possibly Australia too, I haven't looked)
His region was originally set to United States but credit cards wouldn't work, then I found out I could change it to Brazil and they would work.

Waygeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Was just reading the main page... looks like the GW team are making headway on the cards shortcoming, despite many peoples reservations...

Funnily enough, the thing that might get me to buy one is the fact that it comes with a DS card. Does anyone have experience with it? Is it as good as a Super DS Two? How are they doing with shipping? Is it generally available now or is there a backlog?

Waygeek

OP
Trophies
XP
My 3DS seems to have downloaded a pesky firmware update while it's wifi was on... it keeps asking me to install it and I'm like noooooooooooooo...

How can I clear the cache of this update?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==