ROM Hack Oldies Project Tiny Toons Adventures DX for Game Boy : colorization project

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very nice!

I wish there was a very detailed tutorial on how to do these color hacks so I could do some for the Turtles games (especially Radical Rescue).

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
One great cheat I've learned in GB Studio is that you can use sprites to overlay on top of the background where you need color changes that normally aren't possible with background pallets alone. This is great for people's eyes, especially if you want them to blink, have mouths that move when speaking, etc. For Plucky's eyes for example, you can just do a white-on-transparent sprite over top of his regular eyes.
I've discussed the subject a bit with Marc on Discord, but right now I'm focusing on switching between palettes ingame, and most and foremost, avoid the graphics corruption than can occur if you try to access VRAM outside of VBLANK, that sort of things.

I've broken the game because of that several times, considering the more I dug into the levels, cutscenes, etc., the more conditions I had to add (I'm still a newby, so a lot of things weren't optimized, but I can see now that these things aren't just needed to run things smoothly. They're mandatory to avoid any crash).

However, I've spent the last few days revising the code a lot, and will have some new screenshots to show you soon. :)
Post automatically merged:

Check out the How to colorize Game Boy games blog series by toruzz.
This is how it all started, actually!

Last edited by Brand Newman,
Reactions: hippy dave

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's one of my favourite GB games as well, and these WIP screenshots look promising ! Keep up the good work

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I have spent DAYS trying to fix a bug that would randomly load "$FE" as a ROMbank, before I understood that this value comes from 7FFF, and that each bank (except new bank $09, for whatever reason there is) as its number in it, for the game to know which rombank to load back after the "halt" function! Oh, well, this calls for two new screenshots, before I publish a little playthrough within next weeks!
tinyoutput-29.png
tinyoutput-30.png

mdagois

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Only GBC can master double speed : so if you were to activate double speed, you'd mess up the color, and have to make modifications to the game before you could release the patch : assigning eight black and white palettes wouldn't be so hard, but for example, with Tiny Toons, the transition, the ray of light when Babs is at the theater... everything is messed up right now.

Once again, the book "Game Boy Coding Adventure" is a must-have if you want to learn about coding for game boy : it's cheap and very well done, and I haven't even finished reading it yet, but there's already so much more I can do!

I am Maximilien, the author of Game Boy Coding Adventure.
I stumbled upon this post by chance and I am very happy to see the book used for this kind of project.
Thanks a lot for mentioning the book as a source to learn assembly on the Game Boy.
Looking forward to the new version of Tiny Toons!

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I am Maximilien, the author of Game Boy Coding Adventure.
I stumbled upon this post by chance and I am very happy to see the book used for this kind of project.
Thanks a lot for mentioning the book as a source to learn assembly on the Game Boy.
Looking forward to the new version of Tiny Toons!
Thank you for your message, Maximilien! I'm reading your book on a daily basis, and whatever I will end up achieving with this game, I'll owe it to you (and the people on Discord who are kind enough to share their wisdom with me)!

Your book is amazing : you're a great teacher, and I hope it is and will be a success!

I'll make sure everybody who uses my patch in the future knows what a big help you were for me.

Yours truly.

ShantaeFan123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is gonna be a cool project to see! Thanks for your work Newman, and I can't wait to see your future projects too!
Post automatically merged:

BTW Do you know where I can watch Animaniacs? I've wanted to try watching it but ah man.
DVD, Hulu if you have a time machine and yes, the orignal was on Hulu for years before the reboot. Apple TV, Prime

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Plucky is looking perfect there! Does increasing the sprite count affect the performance, or the double speed change helps with that too?
I haven't seen any performance drop so far. I used to, but that was before I started to optimize the code, when I was just starting and didn't know better, making several tests that would make the routine last longer than VBLANK which ended in various issues, like graphic corruption.

My main concern with overlay would be to break the limit of 40 sprites, which would end up in some of them disappearing, considering each sprite is made of 8 tiles.

But the game has a very specific way of loading sprites : it shuffles them constantly, which didn't help incorporating new ones, but might be a way to prevent any disappearance, or so I suspect...

That being said, I don't think I'm gonna push my luck too far, and will be focusing on overlaying the three heroes' sprite first and foremost : I'll see if other characters need it, but if I have to choose between overlaying secondary characters, and keeping the game as "clean" as it is on vanilla game boy, I'll go for the second option. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hamster all on ps3 you might enjoy