Timespinner, a Metroidvania styled game about controlling time, receives new trailer and launch date

Initially funded through Kickstarter in 2014, Timespinner was revealed as a 2D Metroidvania game, made by new indie developer Lunar Ray Games. It was originally scheduled to release three years ago, but faced a few delays through its development, causing it to be pushed back from November 2015, to a Fall 2018 window. Now, Chucklefish, who came on as a publisher, has announced a final release date for the game, and uploaded a new gameplay trailer to give us a glimpse of what it's about. Timespinner takes clear inspiration from classic titles like Symphony of the Night, Mega Man X, and Star Ocean, as well as other assorted other PS1 and SNES games in order to create a "2D metroidvania game with tight gameplay and controls". You play as a character called Lunais, who can control time, which adds a new element of gameplay to the typical formula. Power Up Audio (of Into the Breach and Celeste fame) is also on board, in order to create a soundtrack. You can try it out when it launches for PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, and PC on September 25.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think VVVVVV classifies as a metroidvania.

That's one reason I said "2d platformers with some degree of Metroidvania". VVVVVV is metroidvania as far as open exploration and has one interesting movement mechanic/tech. Really, most Metroidvanias fail at some level at being a Metroidvania depending on just how open they are or how much items play a role in the game vs something else--Metroid 2/Metroid Prime 2 both fail hard because they have open areas and items with movement tech, but they both have heavy-handed artificial barriers between areas. Similarly, it's debatable just how much Mega Man Zero/ZX are Metroidvania. Again, *shrug*.

i just cant play original metroid or even metroid 2 on the gb, i remnber having to use magazines and stuff to see the maps, the terrains were very very similar so its very hard to know where you are an the paths and such, it just just boring practice even back in the day, super metroid and on made it right.

Not sure if this really deals with it, and I don't disagree at all that Metroid should have had clearly marked false walls and more variation to make it harder to get lost, but I tend to argue that Super Metroid's security gates are a pretty unforgivable artificial barrier that only bad programming allows you to sufficiently sequence break. Don't get me wrong, I really like Super Metroid, and overall I definitely recommend it over Metroid precisely because of the issues you state. I just don't think Zero Mission putting in its own false walls to hide your ability to do Norfair first did anything but reinforce the point that Nintendo just didn't get it. There's really a whole list of things like that in ZM for no good reason.

Last edited by kuwanger,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: lexarvn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat