Timespinner, a Metroidvania styled game about controlling time, receives new trailer and launch date

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 12, 2018.

Front-page

Initially funded through Kickstarter in 2014, Timespinner was revealed as a 2D Metroidvania game, made by new indie developer Lunar Ray Games. It was originally scheduled to release three years ago, but faced a few delays through its development, causing it to be pushed back from November 2015, to a Fall 2018 window. Now, Chucklefish, who came on as a publisher, has announced a final release date for the game, and uploaded a new gameplay trailer to give us a glimpse of what it's about. Timespinner takes clear inspiration from classic titles like Symphony of the Night, Mega Man X, and Star Ocean, as well as other assorted other PS1 and SNES games in order to create a "2D metroidvania game with tight gameplay and controls". You play as a character called Lunais, who can control time, which adds a new element of gameplay to the typical formula. Power Up Audio (of Into the Breach and Celeste fame) is also on board, in order to create a soundtrack. You can try it out when it launches for PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, and PC on September 25.

Discussion (34 replies)
  1. Marco_Buns

Marco_Buns The Lonely Man On The Iceberg

Aug 31, 2015
    Iceland
    I thought for a second it said Timesplitters

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    wow, pixelated indie, how exctiting...

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Crappy Chiptunist

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Chrono Trigger, Castlevania, Metroid, and Shantae had a baby, and this is this game.

That looks simply awesome!

4. mcamachoxd

mcamachoxd Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    Nicaragua
    what happened with the 3ds version?

5. TwistedZeon

TwistedZeon Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 Translation Project Leader

May 15, 2014
    Canada
    Woah! This seriously looks amazing! I'm actually excited for this and it's hard to believe that not too long ago I didn't really care much for 2d platformers. The gameplay was okay but I never really grew up on them, I was more into rpgs.

Go back a few weeks now and I finally gave Shantae a try after years of interest but no drive to play due to it being a 2d platformer, Now I can't stop playing them.. I've beaten Risky's Revenge and now about to beat Pirates Curse with 1/2 Genie Hero ret-2-go afterwards.

I now realize though after playing Shantae that I think my interest lies in metroidvania style platformers and so now I've got my eyes set on Symphony of the Night as well.

Back to Timespinner, well.. It checks all of the boxes, great art style (not just talking about the pixel look but the colours and what not), solid looking gameplay & mechanics, and an interesting story all on top of being a metoridvania styled game.

I look forward to when this drops and I'll definitely be grabbing it at some point.

Also! If anyone has suggestions for more games like what I've mentioned please let me know!

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    fells very weird seeing pixel games with clean language audio support lol

7. Roamin64

Roamin64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2007
    Canada
    @TwistedZeon Although older and with small resolution , the Castlevania trilogy on the GBA might be considered by some (at least by me) even better than symphony of the night. I'm also a RPG fan , but since I grew up on 2d platformers, they've always been part of my playing catalogue. These Castlevania games have RPG elements in them and they are great games. Then there's also Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow , on the DS, which is still pretty much the same as the 3 GBA games. The good thing about these games is that nearly all mobile devices have GBA emulators for them, nowadays I mostly use my Nvidia Shield when it comes to emulation.

Last edited by Roamin64, Sep 12, 2018
    TwistedZeon likes this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Hopefully this offers more than the messenger. I played that, it's a fun game and really good but it's $20 and not so much as metroidvania as I had hoped. Also this isn't for switch? Well guess I'll pass on this until more news. :ninja:

Good sprite animation quality but kinda wish the characters was bigger and more detailed, and the color could be brighter. I mean if it's supposed to be a dark dystonia post apocalyptic world or something I get it and would know the idea from the story, plot and how people behave in the universe, or how things look but it's dark nitty-gritty color pallet isn't always the obvious answer to projecting it. :unsure:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 12, 2018
  9. jamesaa

jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

GBAtemp Patron
    jamesaa is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 8, 2006
    To quote to dev:
    "As was mentioned in previous updates, the 3DS will be worked on after the game is shipped on all of the other platforms. This is because the 3DS is much more difficult to port to than all other platforms."

Which is a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially when the original eta for the game was November 2015

At this point I would think an option to get it on Switch would be a better choice, it's probably easier to port to than the 3DS too, but eh, i'm not a dev, and people will moan regardless what he chooses to do.

I just want my Steam copy now, my 3DS has been retired and i doubt i'm pulling it back out for one game, rip my extra $5.

10. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Metroid, Super Metroid*, Monster Tale, Rex Rocket, Dust: An Elysian Tail, VVVVVV*, SteamWorld Dig 1&2, Teslegrad, Bunny Must Die, Goonies II, Blaster Master & Blaster Master Zero, Monster World IV, Axiom Verge, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror*, Cave Story*, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight*, Iconoclasts

Those are all games I've played substantially enough (most I've finished) to say they're fun enough 2d platformers with some degree of Metroidvania. The ones with an asterisks I'd especially recommend. There's of course the many GBA/DS Castlevania games which someone else already mentioned but I'd recommend those as well.

Edit - Also, a good list of Metroidvanias, most of which I've not played.

Last edited by kuwanger, Sep 12, 2018
    TwistedZeon likes this.
  11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Vita version, but no Switch? Lolwut.

12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Pretty much every Metroid game, both 2d and 3D. The exceptions are Metroid 1 (Zero Mission is a remake and much better), Metroid 2 (both am2r and the 3ds remake are better options), Prime Hunters (fun multiplayer, but the campaign feels lacking) and Other M (can be decently fun gameplay wise, but has many issues). Every other game in the series is basically a must play.

There's also two spinoffs. Don't bother with Federation Force, but Prime Pinball is actually a fun fanservice-y short pinball game after you beat Prime.

TwistedZeon likes this.
  13. kuwanger

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    There are a lot of ways in which Zero Mission is better (maps, better graphics, less absurd hidden blocks, being able to crouch/shoot down) and one major way it's much worse (strives to be mostly linear). On the balance, I'd tend to call it equal from a "Metroid" perspective.

14. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the way they made boss battles and everything else makes zero mission absolute superior imo.

15. kuwanger

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Not to get (even further) side tracked, but the core part of Metroidvanias to me is (1) open exploration, (2) item acquisition for (3), and (3) movement tech. As much as I like boss battles, a game with zero boss battles but better of those three things would be much superior to me and much more what Metroidvania is about. Or maybe more what Metroid is as part of the equation. *shrug*

TwistedZeon likes this.
  16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i just cant play original metroid or even metroid 2 on the gb, i remnber having to use magazines and stuff to see the maps, the terrains were very very similar so its very hard to know where you are an the paths and such, it just just boring practice even back in the day, super metroid and on made it right.

17. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Needs to be on switch, I could play it on PC but all of these 2d games are perfect on the switch.

18. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I would get this on Switch or 3DS (but I'll have to look for a shovel to dig it up from the pile of dust that covers it), but oh well... I guess I will get it on PC :unsure:

This game looks more Castlevania than Metroid, and TBH, I won't complain about that, like at all.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Sep 12, 2018
  19. dAVID_

dAVID_ Carpinter's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    I don't think VVVVVV classifies as a metroidvania.