THQ's cancelled Avengers game footage leaked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [youtube]DnaF9PSqER8[/youtube]​

A while ago, after the closing of THQ Australia, it was revealed that an Avengers game, presumably to go in line with the movie, was cancelled. However, a recent gameplay demo of a pre-alpha build of the game was leaked, showing a game that was to go above and beyond a normal video game movie tie-in.

The game is a first person team-based action game, featuring the four main Avengers of the upcoming film (Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, and Captain America). Each character has unique abilities, such as Iron Man's flight and the Hulk's ability to throw enemies. The demo mainly shows off Iron Man and the Hulk's moves, but also shows a bit of Captain America and Thor's abilities.

The game also seems to have had some sort of RPG leveling system, with each player gaining experience from kills and moves. It may have people drawing some connections to RPG FPS Borderlands.

The demo, however, is brief and definitely an early build (as seen by some unsightly graphics), but shows the Avengers taking on some Skrull. The game is relatively visceral, showing blood and screen splatter effects.

Hopefully the game will be revived but the odds of it seem rather slim, at least in this incarnation.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

2. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    It looks really nice for a movie-licensed game...

3. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    That game play does look fun, and the visuals are pretty sweet.

Would liked to have given that a play...

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Looked very interesting indeed, looking to go in a different direction to what others do for these movie games.

I can hope that THQ would pass it on to another team, it'll sell lots so its not like it'll not be worth the dev time when you see the poorly rated games sell well. I think THQ are stopping the licensed titles though.

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yeah, I think THQ closed their Australia branch because they wanted to stop doing licensed games and "kids" games. That's what the source said, apparently.

If anything I'm hoping another team from a separate branch will get the license and they'll try to follow in this game's footsteps.

EDIT: Hell, even release it as a non-movie tie in. I mean we've been getting Batman and Spiderman games separate from the movie titles, not to mention Marvel Ultimate Alliance and stuff like that. Just sell it after the Avengers movie to draw in some of those new Avengers lovers and rope in the people who loved how the demo looked (such as myself).

6. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    I wonder why Sega didn't pick this license up? I kinda hope Marvel didn't want to get the same results as their other games.

Marvel should really get into the business of games. They did wonders for comics to films, maybe they could do the same.

7. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Looks boring when the same animation is used for the normal melee. I rather stay range and watch them fly everywhere as ragdolls when hit by a super imba explosion shot.

8. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    looks fun.

9. Amphy2310

Newcomer Amphy2310 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    The hulk should be stronger than that =O

10. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    That looked pretty cool similar to Borderlands in the aspect of coop gameplay hopefully. Now I wish they would finish the game just so I can try it.

11. Mr Slug

Newcomer Mr Slug Advanced Member

United States
    yeah looks good sort of reminded me of ultimate aliance but in fps style, looks like you gained xp to upgrade heroes too i liked it hope they are able to sort it out and get it out it would sell i reckon.

12. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    it potentially looks good, but is already cancelled so... meh. :/

13. Mugiwara no Kot

Newcomer Mugiwara no Kot Advanced Member

Brazil
    that's sad, because this game weren't looking as awful as the actual games. It'll be a great loss.
    Thanks for posting xD

14. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Well either way THQ won't be getting another studio to finish it:

15. Omega_2

Member Omega_2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    That actually DID look good, that's a shame how Australia's always having nice things taken away from them like that, though. :\

Clearly, he's not even the slightest pissed off [​IMG]