Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[youtube]DnaF9PSqER8[/youtube]​

A while ago, after the closing of THQ Australia, it was revealed that an Avengers game, presumably to go in line with the movie, was cancelled. However, a recent gameplay demo of a pre-alpha build of the game was leaked, showing a game that was to go above and beyond a normal video game movie tie-in.

The game is a first person team-based action game, featuring the four main Avengers of the upcoming film (Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, and Captain America). Each character has unique abilities, such as Iron Man's flight and the Hulk's ability to throw enemies. The demo mainly shows off Iron Man and the Hulk's moves, but also shows a bit of Captain America and Thor's abilities.

The game also seems to have had some sort of RPG leveling system, with each player gaining experience from kills and moves. It may have people drawing some connections to RPG FPS Borderlands.

The demo, however, is brief and definitely an early build (as seen by some unsightly graphics), but shows the Avengers taking on some Skrull. The game is relatively visceral, showing blood and screen splatter effects.

Hopefully the game will be revived but the odds of it seem rather slim, at least in this incarnation.[/p]

icon11.gif
 Source

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked very interesting indeed, looking to go in a different direction to what others do for these movie games.

I can hope that THQ would pass it on to another team, it'll sell lots so its not like it'll not be worth the dev time when you see the poorly rated games sell well. I think THQ are stopping the licensed titles though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
I can hope that THQ would pass it on to another team, it'll sell lots so its not like it'll not be worth the dev time when you see the poorly rated games sell well. I think THQ are stopping the licensed titles though.

Yeah, I think THQ closed their Australia branch because they wanted to stop doing licensed games and "kids" games. That's what the source said, apparently.

If anything I'm hoping another team from a separate branch will get the license and they'll try to follow in this game's footsteps.

EDIT: Hell, even release it as a non-movie tie in. I mean we've been getting Batman and Spiderman games separate from the movie titles, not to mention Marvel Ultimate Alliance and stuff like that. Just sell it after the Avengers movie to draw in some of those new Avengers lovers and rope in the people who loved how the demo looked (such as myself).

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder why Sega didn't pick this license up? I kinda hope Marvel didn't want to get the same results as their other games.

Marvel should really get into the business of games. They did wonders for comics to films, maybe they could do the same.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Looks boring when the same animation is used for the normal melee. I rather stay range and watch them fly everywhere as ragdolls when hit by a super imba explosion shot.

Mr Slug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah looks good sort of reminded me of ultimate aliance but in fps style, looks like you gained xp to upgrade heroes too i liked it hope they are able to sort it out and get it out it would sell i reckon.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well either way THQ won't be getting another studio to finish it:

QUOTE said:
"The rights for a video game based on Marvel's Avengers IP have reverted back to Marvel. The company is in early stages of exploring potential publishing and licensing opportunities." - Marvel spokesperson

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That actually DID look good, that's a shame how Australia's always having nice things taken away from them like that, though. :\

Amphy2310 said:
The hulk should be stronger than that =O
Clearly, he's not even the slightest pissed off
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰