Hacking Thinking of putting all my backups on a USB drive

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so I recently softmodded a friend's Wii and I let him have all my backups so he could install them to his hard drive, my pristine backups are now worse than blockbuster location discs...

I'm seriously considering going to USB myself.

I have craploads of games on DVD will popping them in the wii disc drive and installing them to the HDD work well? or should I just use WBFS manager and insert images via PC?

I can repair them with a JFJ easy pro disc repair machine though.... if I can't play all of my titles I'll most likely do this. I fear I'll have issues with some games, like Metroid Prime trilogy, Smash bros... am I just too stuck on disc format?

so if everything is fine on USB, could anyone please point me to the latest USB loader and to somewhere where I could see how to get everything up to speed.

Red_Gh0st

Trophies
Website
wiihacks.com
XP
Country
United States
You can just format your usb hdd to fat32, wbfs, ntfs.

When in a usb loader you can insert a disc and rip it directly to thehdd. Or you can store the .iso games on your pc and copy them to the hdd using wii backup manager, wbfs manager, etc

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your games are backup DVDs, then you would probably have an easier time using your computer's disc drive to transfer your backups to a USB device using Wii Backup Manager. If you would rather use your Wii, you can send your backups and retail discs to your USB drive using Configurable USB loader, as well.

To setup your Wii, I recommend installing cIOS files 249d2x56 and 250d2x57 using ModMii. I also recommend you use the latest version of Configurable USB loader once you have your USB drive.

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii has a chip and softmod so it can read anything, so using it to backup the discs would be ok, but since the Wii is having a hard time to play these titles (because of the scratches) will they not do the same trying to install?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Frenchman said:
My Wii has a chip and softmod so it can read anything, so using it to backup the discs would be ok, but since the Wii is having a hard time to play these titles (because of the scratches) will they not do the same trying to install?
I had the same problem. While my Wii had a hard time dumping some of the really scratched discs, my computer had no trouble at all. Toothpaste is also a viable fix for discs that are really scratched.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Frenchman said:
It's possible. If the scratch is too deep and cuts the data layer, ripping the DVD may fail. However, once the DVD is ripped into an .iso, it's all smooth sailing from there.

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, the Wii's disk drive isn't as efficient at reading DVD-Rs as computer drives are, on terms of both speed and quality.

I'd suggest using your computer to do the transfers, and as Lacius suggested, get the d2x cIOSs and CFG Loader (either from ModMii, or their respective topics here on GBATemp). The d2x cIOSs are should have a fix for IOS reload games, which will cover games like MPT, while most other games shouldn't be a problem at all.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii's disc drive was never made to read actual DVD-R's, and given the state of the discs, I think it would be better just to rip them straight to the USB drive using your PC.

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your friend borrowed them to rip to a HDD for himself, just wait til he is finished and jack his drive so you can do a drive to drive transfer.
tongue.gif

Forever Zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DGenerateKane said:
If your friend borrowed them to rip to a HDD for himself, just wait til he is finished and jack his drive so you can do a drive to drive transfer.
tongue.gif

Yeah, use WBFS Manager, select the clone drive option and your done. As for the loader I would recommend USB Loader GX.

As a matter of fact you may want to download USB Loader GX, WiiFlow and Configurable USB Loader just to ensure you will be able to play all of your backups. I think Monster Hunter Tri only works with WiiFlow.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Forever Zero said:
I think Monster Hunter Tri only works with WiiFlow.

no , monster hunter tri uses IOS55 (IOS38 and IOS55 are required by the official Nintendo Wii Speak channel)

monster hunter tri work with hermes base 38

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zizer said:
Forever Zero said:
I think Monster Hunter Tri only works with WiiFlow.

no , monster hunter tri uses IOS55 (IOS38 and IOS55 are required by the official Nintendo Wii Speak channel)

monster hunter tri work with hermes base 38
Monster Hunter Tri works just fine with Configurable USB Loader and cIOS 249d2x56, like most games. I think keyboard support is the only thing that requires another IOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER