Gaming Thinking of picking up Splatoon

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,199
  • Replies 5
D

Deleted User

OP
So Splatoon looks awesome and want to buy it, but before I part with my money I'm worried that because I live in Aus the latency will be shit.

So a question to those who live in Aus and play Splatoon, is the online gameplay any good?

It probably very clear that I'm not familiar with all the technical words relating to online gameplay :wacko:. Simply put I don't want lag, random disconnects, objects jumping around like in Mario Kart or any other bullshit I can't think of at the moment.

Droyd

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I must say, I got multiple disconnects with my wifi, but with a cellular shared connexion It works like a sharm.
PS: I'm not from australia, but I got a 4mbs connexion on my WIFI.

Last edited by Droyd,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
It's the bread and butter of the game. Splatoon's offline playable modes are just that.. playable.

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you requested a testimonial from an AUS player, but as a United States player who routinely plays late at night, I am often in a server with 7 other Japanese players. The lag, if there is any, is unnoticeable. Other's mileage may vary, but Splatoon has some of the better lag smoothing tech I've seen in Nintendo games. MUCH better than Smash.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
I know you requested a testimonial from an AUS player, but as a United States player who routinely plays late at night, I am often in a server with 7 other Japanese players. The lag, if there is any, is unnoticeable. Other's mileage may vary, but Splatoon has some of the better lag smoothing tech I've seen in Nintendo games. MUCH better than Smash.
Well that is very persuasive. Its because of the lag in sm4sh that I'm asking this question. Can't take the game seriously online, its just too laggy.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, if all of my family is streaming music, video etc... I will randomly get kicked/or lag spikes (but mainly kicked) from the game. As long as you think it won't happen very often, get it. Even if the connection turns out to be horrible, there are other things to do.

Single Player Campaign (known in-game as "Octo Valley")

First off, it has a very fun (but very short) single player campaign. The single player campaign will also provide you with Splatoon's story, but you have to collect "scrolls" to find it out (I haven't collected them all yet :P).

Amiibo Challenges
If you want to save up some extra money (like I did), you can get all three of the Splatoon Amiibo to add some extra challenges to the levels you already played in single player campaign (like having to beat the level in a specific time). These are very fun as they add extra challenge and keep you coming back for more. Plus you get rewarded in game money and gear. Both that are (for me) worthless without online. Because the gear that you buy in the shops will only show up in the Plaza and online, and that is no fun if you can't show off what awesome gear you have to the rest of the world.

Local Multiplayer (known in-game as "Battle Dojo")
Lastly there is a local 1 vs. 1 multiplayer mode that has you trying to pop the most balloons (no other game modes). It is fun in short bursts to kill time with your friends but defiantly not as fun as online.

In short, if you have a friend who has this game, ask to borrow it to see how your online multiplayer internet connection is. Because as fun as offline play is, the heart of the game lies in the multiplayer. That doesn't mean that you won't be disappointed if you do get the game, you'll just be missing out.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that there Mini Games you can unlock from the Amiibo Challenges. They are available offline in the Plaza, however they are really meant to kill time while you wait for a online match to start. So basically, they are meant to be played short bursts.

Last edited by TheGuyThatPlaysNintendo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw