Thinking about upgrading to DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by coldhunter77, Dec 15, 2011.

Dec 15, 2011
  1. coldhunter77
    OP

Newcomer coldhunter77 Newbie

United States
    Long story short, I did something wrong while trying to repair my DS Lite and now I'm wondering if I should get a DSi or get another DS Lite.
    I've seen some sites advertise $10 more for a DSi so I figured why not.

Does DSi have any blocks on flash cards (I currently own an Acekard 2i and R4) or have any updates that would hinder my gaming?
    If not then I'll get it unless somebody has something to say about it otherwise o_o

--Thanks

2. Cartmanuk

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Your Acekard 2i will work on a DSi. They Do block the carts with updates but if the cards up-datable than it should be ok.

3. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    update your cart to work with dsi 1.4.3 then get a dsi and NEVER UPDATE until a patch is realesed or don't update at ALL

4. saberjoy

Member saberjoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

India
    i suggest you should get a 3ds, but not if you mind the blurriness when playing ds games

5. qweasd123

Member qweasd123 GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    My DS Lite's upper screen is working worse and worse with every day so I had the same dilemma - new DS Lite or DSi.
    Then I've noticed that DS Lite is no more produced and it's hard to buy original Lite. There are only Chinese refurbs.
    So I've bought DSi. I should have it next week.

6. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    An R4 will not work on a DSi, but the Acekard 2i will. If you're planning on updating, you should not rule out the 3DS as saberjoy suggested. Also, bear in mind that neither the DSi nor the 3DS have a slot-2 (if this is an interest to your current gaming needs.)

7. coldhunter77
    OP

Newcomer coldhunter77 Newbie

United States
    I'm waiting till they make an upgrade of the 3ds. 4hrs of game play and not being able to use any flash cards that work with 3ds games is a big turn off for me.

Just got it today, hopefully DSi firmware won't cause any problems, just updated to newest firmware on my AK2i :D

8. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I don't get it why people want to wait until the 3DS is upgraded in order to buy it... If the battery is teh issue there's some stronger batteries available to buy for the 3DS

9. sonicvssilver22

Newcomer sonicvssilver22 Advanced Member

United States
    They're waiting until the flash carts are updated so that they can play 3DS roms. The battery can't be the problem, since I have a 3DS and the battery wasn't any problem after I turned down the brightness and turned on power-saving mode . :sleep:

10. Majorami

Banned Majorami Banned

United States
    As far as I know, there are no advantages that a DSi has over the 3DS, so why not just get a 3DS?

You'll still have access to DSiWare + new 3D classics and new 3D downloadable games. Also you can register a new 3DS for 160 Nintendo points which can be used to buy another DSiWare game for free.

Getting a DSi now of all times is like going from iPhone to iphone 3, while ignoring 4S's existence