Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I never said the games were bad, I said the system was. They were/are good games - I'm not disputing that, but that does not make the N64 a good piece of hardware.
had no games.
It has no gaemz, deal with it.

My argument is that it has games, you're saying it doesn't. You say the games I like are because of nostalgia, yet I still play some of them today. I don't get you Foxi.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just lay this whole N64 had no games to rest once and for all... Everyone already covered Mario 64 and the 2 Zelda games on the system, Goldeneye...

Now lets list some other fantastic games, games that if you didn't own a N64 you might not have played... That's a pity for you :) but there are things called emulators give them a try and fire some of these babies up.

StarFox 64, Doom 64, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Star Wars Shadow of the Empire, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Banjo, Conkers, Mario Party, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, F-Zero X, Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold, Sin and Punishment, 1080 Snowboarding, WWF No Mercy. Seriously a ton more and no these games where not great because a lack of games on the system. That problem would have been solved by owning both systems so yeah.... No they where just better.

Owning both the N64 and the PS1 was the best way to go at the time if you where alive at the time and you didn't own both you pretty much lost out on some of the best games of the time. No nostalgia involved you just lost out at the time, when they where new. (nostalgia being something some one does after the fact usually not while it is happening.)

Now ask me if I would have given up my PS1 at the time and I would have told you to fuck off too, FFVII wasn't my favorite but it was good enough for me to finish it, Road Rash I played to death, SOTN I have completed at least 3 times, Doom was awesome especially with the link cable and 2 TV's. Gran Turismo 1 and 2. Crash Bandicoot, (Didn't like RE or Tomb Raider, the controls where way too stiff...)

Reactions: Ethevion

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going by the "would I play it today?" and "would it be on the list to teach people?" with a dash of "could I get the same and more from the other options".

StarFox 64/Lylat wars. Maybe, turrican would be further up the list and I would probably look either side in the franchise and I also have to say Panzer Dragoon.
Doom 64 - Doom on a console... yeah.
Mario Kart 64. Already covered. A flawed game rendered pointless by its sequels in a lot of cases though even those could stand to be better. Going by your "need to own both" I would say many of the competitors worked about as well.
Paper Mario. Have not put enough time in, probably would look to later consoles though.
Star Wars Shadow of the Empire. The was a PC version, also this when Jedi Knight/Dark Forces is a thing?
Star Wars Rogue Squadron. Good, eclipsed by later entries in the franchise.
Banjo. Good, XBLA is better.
Conkers. Actually never got around to it, will have to link this though.
Mario Party, would later go on to compete against Madden, Pokemon and Megaman battle network in "least changes made to a franchise but still keep it popular" stakes". Credit where credit is due it did popularise the party game style.
Perfect Dark, XBLA version absolutely and options wise I would hold it up as one of the finest multiplayer games made. Borderline unplayable on the N64 today though.
Blast Corps
F-Zero X. Though I have never been a fan of high speed racing games like this Wipeout does have to be mentioned and was huge at the time.
Wave Race 64. Though I am sure the massive jet ski demographic remembers. Also how much of it is because it was a launch title and there was sweet fuck all for a not inconsiderable amount of time.
Killer Instinct Gold. When the arcade version exists?
Sin and Punishment
1080 Snowboarding. A weak control scheme (this was pre Tony Hawk mind you) and in a world where SSX exists? Sticking with the time I hold the Cool Boarders series was the better choice, not sure where Snowboard kids falls into this.
WWF No Mercy. A wrestling game, really?

[on the PS1]
Road Rash I played to death. Depending upon where you find yourself those might be fighting words.

I think we will probably have to leave it as "no gaems games" =/= abject failure and disgrace to your personal honour, which is what some seem to be reading into it. It does not mean you get to rewrite history to call what was deemed a shadow of past efforts at the time, studied then and now as either the downfall of a giant or the end result of the downfall (see SNES era Nintendo business practices), notably snubbed by a lot of developers and criticised by many more and what has to go down as one of the bigger upsets in games world (people at the time were predicting that people would trade the others in in droves to get an N64). If you had one and enjoyed it I am more than happy for you that the money spent on it was not pissed away. Perhaps even some of the "no games" sentiment was born of there being extremely long periods and relative bounty afforded by the other consoles which had been out for a while where looking back now could paint a different picture.

In the very end if the N64 proves you can preorder a console it is only in the sense that yeah if you have enough money or can con your way into letting someone give you the credit then you can preorder it.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going by the "would I play it today?" and "would it be on the list to teach people?" with a dash of "could I get the same and more from the other options".

I think we will probably have to leave it as "no gaems games" =/= abject failure and disgrace to your personal honor, which is what some seem to be reading into it. It does not mean you get to rewrite history to call what was deemed a shadow of past efforts at the time, studied then and now as either the downfall of a giant or the end result of the downfall (see SNES era Nintendo business practices), notably snubbed by a lot of developers and criticized by many more and what has to go down as one of the bigger upsets in games world (people at the time were predicting that people would trade the others in in droves to get an N64). If you had one and enjoyed it I am more than happy for you that the money spent on it was not pissed away. Perhaps even some of the "no games" sentiment was born of there being extremely long periods and relative bounty afforded by the other consoles which had been out for a while where looking back now could paint a different picture.

In the very end if the N64 proves you can preorder a console it is only in the sense that yeah if you have enough money or can con your way into letting someone give you the credit then you can preorder it.

You edited my post so much that I almost thought you quoted some one else....

anyway no need to rewrite history, I didn't change anything. The games I listed did come out at the time and I played them.

Saying the N64 had no good games isn't a sentiment. It's Playstation nostalgia speaking, trying to convince yourself that you didn't miss out on anything. That's a normal reaction. I think the term might be "sour grapes".

Meh what ever, like I said I owned them both so I got the best of both worlds, no sour grapes here.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record I owned an N64 as my primary then modern* non PC games playing device (PS1 was round friends, not mine to do with as I pleased, a tiny bit of emulation and finally after the fact so I could go back and play everything, saturn was nowhere in sight). Good times were had (I had to rig up something to keep my awful third party expansion pack from overheating during the 6 hour marathon sessions of things) but as others have said at the time I would have probably had just as much fun playing with a hardened dog turd. Today I find most of them not worth revisiting because of the graphics (low res, no AA, few textures, worse frame rates, what is camera control), the general lack of much compelling story, the controls (both in general for the controller and the often laggy/badly coded/imprecise compared to what I have today/had then with a mouse/compared to pixel precision I was used to with the 16 bit era) and in many cases the relatively oversimple natures of the games or that they were otherwise done better before, at the time or since.

*courtesy of people willing to sell me gym bags of C64, Atari, Spectrum, Amiga (copies) for a tenner, people throwing out said consoles all over the shop or otherwise selling them for a couple of quid (quite literally £2 or 3) and with megadrive, NES and master system games being cheap enough for me to afford and my PC mainly being a 386, a 486 or a P200 a like (and where I go into this emulation lark) I guess my lazy arse was retro gaming before it was cool.

This is risking into turning into one of those "it was meh" becomes "fight me now, it was the worst thing in the universe" type situations for me so I think I will tie it off here for the time being.

Seriously though early "full 3d" games for consoles was terrible unless the games were prerendered a la Resident Evil, inconsequential to gameplay (parappa the rapper and perhaps final fantasy) or able to be ignored/serious effort was made (Bomberman 64 and a handful of platformers). As N64 games seemed to not really go in for those, or be available in better forms elsewhere, it risks being the drunken night out you would rather forget of gaming history for me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everybody should shut up, no reason to repeat this argument.

The games are coming, no not Wonderful101 not Rayman Legends not Sonic Lost World; better titles.Be patient.

Maybe, maybe not. Until such a point in time, or such a point in time that it is clear such things will be happening at a point where such a time can be reasonably measured in days, why not point and laugh/say "save your money" to everybody that asks?

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
How does an install base affect you in buying single player games? The Wonderful 101 and Lost World look like fucking fantastic must have titles.

They are on my list, but those games aren't ohmygosh this is so awesum i need to buy a wii u just fer it!!11!!!!

I'm talking about Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, and Xenoblade

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just doing a quick google search on failure rate: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study-6216691

The ps3 was apparently somewhere around 10% failure rate. Certainly not at 360 levels, but still too high for my tastes. Going back and taking the PS2's Disc Read Errors into consideration. I don't have any statistics on it, but in combination with the PS3's failures, it's enough to give me pause.

Ah, fair enough, thank you got correcting my information.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, fair enough, thank you got correcting my information.

No problem. Don't take those numbers as iron-clad, though, since they're just taken for a sample of customers. Another thing to consider that might make the PS3's failure rate not as bad as those numbers show is how many of those 10% kept their PS3 in a poorly ventilated entertainment center before learning that it contributes to overheating issues. So maybe Sony's hardware was a bit more reliable than those numbers show, but the uncertainty is too much for me to gamble my money on.

katsup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy the systems at launch since the 360, but I sell them right away and use the money I make to buy it later for myself.

Although, I did keep a launch Wii and Wii U. Wii for Zelda and Wii U for New Super Mario Bros Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up +1