Think before you buy !

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, fair enough, thank you got correcting my information.

Was always my understanding that the first couple of batches of the 360 pretty much had a 100% failure rate in the first 2 years due to some sort of bad soldering chemistry. That's why Microsoft pretty much had to extend those warranties the way they did or they would have had a giant class action against them.

The PS3 was pretty much at the high end of industry standard for failures, 10% is considered ok anything worse is considered bad but they stayed pretty inside the "good zone".

The Wii from what I understand was at 5-7% slightly better than the PS3, but in a sense it should have been better since it did not use "cutting edge" tech. So if we where to adjust the Wii's numbers for using older more proven tech it should have had an even lower failure rate in my opinion.

I think the only bad system of the three was those first year or two of 360's, and to this day one of the reason's I don't one a 360.... I like to own system's t least close to the launch window so I can play the games as they come out. I waited so long for the 360 to have the issue completely nailed down that I felt like I was investing money in a system that I was only going to get half the use out of :( but not all is sad in Roshambo land I had my Wii my PS3 and my gaming PC :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My argument is that it has games, you're saying it doesn't. You say the games I like are because of nostalgia, yet I still play some of them today. I don't get you Foxi.

I don't think you're familiar with the "no gaems" running joke. What I meant was that the N64 as a gaming system received very little developer interest (mostly due to its own inheritent flaws as well as the flaws of its ecosystem, such as the use of the by then obsolete cartridges as a storage medium, a very small texture size limit, troublesome memory, expensive games which didn't entice customers much, poor licensing agreements etc.) which resulted in a huge drought of games. By "no gaems" I don't literally mean that there isn't a single game worth playing on it - there are some, but they're few and far between.

The system really only succeeded in the states - it failed in its homeland as well as in Europe which is why it was discontinued much, much earlier than the PlayStation. The two systems used to go head to head but the PlayStation gradually took the lead and continued doing better and better while the N64 nosedived into the realm of obscurity.

There's no denying that 380-odd games is far, far less than 2400-odd games and although the N64 does have a few true gems, the PlayStation had variety. On the N64, everybody played a few staple titles, on the PlayStation every gamer could have a different experience simply because it had so many games to offer.

As xist mentioned, the few gems are treasured because of how rare they were and how precious they became to N64 owners. Every N64 owner knows them and played them, there's a legend built up around them and paradoxically, it's partially because there weren't any other games to play and this alone causes the "Pink Eyeglasses of Nostalgia +5" effect, which isn't a bad thing in itself. You're entitled to love and cherish those games, they are good, but don't let that cloud your judgement when it comes to the system as a whole.

In any case, to connect this with the main point of the thread, what I'm saying is that consoles like the N64, Gamecube, Virtual Boy, Dreamcast, Jaguar or Saturn are reasons to be weary that being an early adopter means taking on the risk that the system may end up being unsupported in the long run and only those ready to take that risk should become early adopters.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think you're familiar with the "no gaems" running joke. What I meant was that the N64 as a gaming system received very little developer interest (mostly due to its own inheritent flaws as well as the flaws of its ecosystem, such as the use of the by then obsolete cartridges as a storage medium, a very small texture size limit, troublesome memory, expensive games which didn't entice customers much, poor licensing agreements etc.) which resulted in a huge drought of games. By "no gaems" I don't literally mean that there isn't a single game worth playing on it - there are some, but they're few and far between.

The system really only succeeded in the states - it failed in its homeland as well as in Europe which is why it was discontinued much, much earlier than the PlayStation. The two systems used to go head to head but the PlayStation gradually took the lead and continued doing better and better while the N64 nosedived into the realm of obscurity.

There's no denying that 380-odd games is far, far less than 2400-odd games and although the N64 does have a few true gems, the PlayStation had variety. On the N64, everybody played a few staple titles, on the PlayStation every gamer could have a different experience simply because it had so many games to offer.

As xist mentioned, the few gems are treasured because of how rare they were and how precious they became to N64 owners. Every N64 owner knows them and played them, there's a legend built up around them and paradoxically, it's partially because there weren't any other games to play and this alone causes the "Pink Eyeglasses of Nostalgia +5" effect, which isn't a bad thing in itself. You're entitled to love and cherish those games, they are good, but don't let that cloud your judgement when it comes to the system as a whole.

In any case, to connect this with the main point of the thread, what I'm saying is that consoles like the N64, Gamecube, Virtual Boy, Dreamcast, Jaguar or Saturn are reasons to be weary that being an early adopter means taking on the risk that the system may end up being unsupported in the long run and only those ready to take that risk should become early adopters.
Well damn, that was a great explanation. You pretty much cleared up everything there. By the way, I don't want you to think I'm a fanboy for protecting the N64 so much, because I also had a PlayStation. I loved both of those consoles to death.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well damn, that was a great explanation. You pretty much cleared up everything there. By the way, I don't want you to think I'm a fanboy for protecting the N64 so much, because I also had a PlayStation. I loved both of those consoles to death.

Fun fact - at that point in time, I was full-on PC Master Race. :yay:

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What the shit is greentext?
Doesn't matter, sounds stupid.
Green text.

Isn't it known everywhere that being an early adopter has it's risks. You'll end up paying more for something that (usually) comes down in prices quite soon. It applies to electronics (how much would a 2 year old phone cost now?), cars and other automobiles (an Audi costs say 30k and has stuff on the basic model, a Seat has the same stuff as extras that cost money on top of the basic model), housing (prices may go down a bit, especially when plumbing needs to be renovated) and pretty much everything else. Buying a console at launch will give you the possibility of enjoying it sooner than later, but it also has the risk of not delivering at launch. You could just as well wait a while and buy the console that suits your needs with a good amount of games already released (and usually available for lower prices due to sales and shops wanting to move inventory).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.