Hacking Theoretic problem with putting ISOs on External USB Hard Drives

invu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The iso-to-hdd-loading part could probably be done on the pc. Maybe there will be a tool to do this, or some other way. Though I don't think it's ideal, it is still way better then copying over FTP
smile.gif

Ext2 or similar would have been great. Samba shares should be possible too (I think) and would really be great! But... let's first wait for the loader and see how it works.

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Thanks you Wanin for the info. Just a few questions which you dion't have to answer if you don't want to.
How far into developping this are you? Are you just testing or are you still coding? when will a release be out (how many days, weeks)?

invu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And why all the trouble with WBS if you could have used i.e. ext2?

Can you give us some details about WBS?

Anyway, thanks for your time and work!

FoGBaV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi Waninkoko ... one question - will the ISO witch is transfered to HDD be shrinked ?

It would be wasted HDD space to take a 4,5 ISO to hdd witch can be shrinked to 500 MB (e.g. Your NAND running Hamster Game 8) ).

Thank you 4 your great work - and not "showbreaking" on the usb-loader ...8)

Greets

Sonic4Ever

Trophies
XP
Country
France
games2007 said:
I've heard something about Waninkoko using his own file system.
Perhaps this will slim down the size of the ISOs. This would be great =)

Don't suggest stupid theories that may lead to NONSENSE.

NETSHARK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waninkoko said:
Dvd->Hdd
Iso->Hdd

This reminds me of the XBOX days
tongue.gif
the only way to play ISOs there is by one of these two methods there wasn`t a Game.ISO file loader at all, you have to extract the files from the ISO and play them off the HD, anyway i just wanted to thank you for saving our Wii`s Drive
smile.gif
and all the work you`ve done before
wink.gif

FoGBaV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What exactly is so stupid when we ask about a function witch is already developed for normal ISOs -> WII Scrubber ...

If the ISos are transfered to HDD in normal Form it will be waste of space on HDD for many games.

If the ISO is transfered in "Filemode" everything is ok ... but this will kill PArtitions witch exists on ISO ...

I think it is a normal question as every other question here ...

Nonsense i can see in your posts blaming us asking questions ... sorry ...

Artia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The stupid question was: "Could a Filesystem Shrink an iso and slim down it size?"

The answer should be: No. A filesystem is a way in which a storage system is formatted, not a program to reduce iso size.

etrigan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saget said:
why not using Samba method? like DOS, it also can't access NTFS, but there's a utiltiy called NTFSpro , it map NTFS as a network drive...
im poor in coding, just for reference
unsure.gif

Lets be completely clear about SAMBA: Accessing and continually reading an ISO over SAMBA is likely not feasible for fluid game play. Certainly not fast enough over wireless, and a wired adapter via USB may be a crap shoot also.

6x dvd is roughly 8310KB/s; 54megabit/s wireless is 6912KB/s in the best case. Wireless rarely connects to its fullest. Most I get is usually 6000KB/s on my 802.11g.

As for the lan adapter: 100mb/s is roughly 12800KB/s, thats certainly faster than the dvd. But does the Nintendo Lan Adapter give you those speeds? Who knows.

Now if there was a gigE adapter, that didn't suck over Nintendo's wack implementation of USB, then that would possibly work out. But there's not.

In my opinion it would provide a far better gaming experience to just load the games via a USB drive. The fact that is faster than the dvd should have you all excited enough to do it.

USB 2.0 is 480mb/s, which is roughly 61440KB/s....now I don't expect that the USB 2.0 hack that was released for the Wii will give these speeds, but im sure WHATEVER it gives is going to be faster than the DVD, Wireless or LAN could ever do. And this doesn't count in all the improvements Waninkoko is going to throw in as he develops this further.

Im sold on USB, just hope this is real.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun