Hacking Theoretic problem with putting ISOs on External USB Hard Drives

games2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
I was thinking about the USB loader and people who use external hard drives.
I thought about buying one myself mostly because of this application.
Walmart has Western Digital 1TB hard drives for under $120, which I think is a great deal, considering the price of an internal hard drive, plus you can use it to store tons of Wii games.

Now, here's the problem.
On these external hard drives, you can't hold files larger than 4GB on FAT32, which is used on the Wii/Homebrew Channel/USB Loader...
You can format your drive to NTFS, eradicating the issue, but that would make it incompatible with the application wouldn't it?

I've heard something about Waninkoko using his own file system.
Perhaps this will slim down the size of the ISOs. This would be great =)
But then, I thought the alternative to doing that is placing an ISO onto the USB drive and launching it through the channel.
This makes me skeptical of the "file system."

I'm seriously wondering about this because I would really love to have an external hard drive.
My laptop has a small hard drive, so having this would be excellent.
I could use it for large file transfers and such.
I'd also use it for the GeeXboX channel I just installed.
I was unaware that something like that application existed before a while ago.
I was amazed how my Wii could handle all those formats, it being a Wii and all...

Perhaps I'm speaking fallibly about the NTFS compatibility with the application.
I'm not too sure.

So, please reply if you have some more information.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
ooo! is that y im havin problems?! ive been tryin to play "backup" games for a while through dvd -r's, but i try to extract the iso files in parts but i get an error for it... am i supposed to leave the iso's in the rar file and then burn it?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lavamasta said:
ooo! is that y im havin problems?! ive been tryin to play "backup" games for a while through dvd -r's, but i try to extract the iso files in parts but i get an error for it... am i supposed to leave the iso's in the rar file and then burn it?

You need to have all the rar files in the same folder before you try to extract anything.Once you have them all in one location exact the first one to where ever you want on your hard drive and it will automatically extract all of them for you creating one ISO file to burn.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
thx man that helps
smile.gif
i'll probly still get the error though, i dunno :S

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
games2007 said:
Oh =/

I wasn't sure if you could play scrubbed ISOs, being rar'd and all...
i think that some iso's are still over 4gb when scrubbed. i remember trying to scrub guitar hero 3 and metroid prime 3, both were a littte over 4gb.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Waninkoko's usb loader uses an own filesystem which is only useable for this loader. If he doesn't change this, you have other worries than FAT or NTSC to format your HDD.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess you forget about dumping directly to the drive? no single file on any game is larger than 4Gb...so there is no issue..

don't worry there will be a fix pretty easily

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to laugh when you spend all that money on a external hard drive and it ends up being a april fools joke.

st0rax

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:
Waninkoko's usb loader uses an own filesystem which is only useable for this loader. If he doesn't change this, you have other worries than FAT or NTSC to format your HDD.

i think you mean "NTFS" ^^

QUOTE(Richy Freeway @ Mar 30 2009, 10:47 AM) Correct.

Edit : Who knows though, that might change.

It would be good if you could FTP the ISO's over from your PC.

FTP is too slow! This possibilty was discussed before in another thread, but an FTP Protocol Transfer is very slow! (0.1x!)

Artia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yep, FTP Transmission would be slower than DVD. When Waninkoko's work will be done we could think about How to get backups working from hdd, but how can you even think about that if you don't know exactly how the hb works? Be patient.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Artia said:
Yep, FTP Transmission would be slower than DVD.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about FTPing the game over to the hard-drive attached to the Wii, not streaming the game from the PC.

saget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
why not using Samba method? like DOS, it also can't access NTFS, but there's a utiltiy called NTFSpro , it map NTFS as a network drive...
im poor in coding, just for reference
unsure.gif

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Artia said:
Yep, FTP Transmission would be slower than DVD.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about FTPing the game over to the hard-drive attached to the Wii, not streaming the game from the PC.
That's exactly what I mean. Forgetting the speed issue, FTP isn't a suitable protocol for accessing a file at random points.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
Filter said:
I'm going to laugh when you spend all that money on a external hard drive and it ends up being a april fools joke.

Saying its an april fools joke in every thread about it wont make so. Its still not even april retard! check your calendar. you cant prove its fake, yet you can prove its real by two completely seperate sources

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?