Hacking Theme Brick

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I recently installed a theme for my wii, but since I hadn't seen the version until I had already installed it, I got a black screen on boot. I had installed the Darkwii theme 3.2u on my 4.0u wii. I'm pretty sure that I have bootmii boot2 since when I turn my wii on, the disk drive flashes, but if I put the bootmii files on my SD card, it doesn't boot. I also tried the savemiifrii method and got my system menu version in the corner, but I am not quite sure what to do next. This isn't the first time I brick my wii because of a theme, but bootmii worked fine then, unlike now. So if anyone has an idea, could you please post it here?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
first mistake was using a 3.2 theme on a 4.0 wii...

try accessing priiloader (if u have it)

make sure u have the right files on the sd card and try launching bootmii again

if u can't get to priiloader and/or bootmii (assuming ur trying to access them correctly) then ur pretty screwed... last resort is u may be able to fix it using an infectus modchip (if u have nand backup and/or keys)

did u recently update via nintendo (ie. after having installed bootmii as boot2)? If so, its very possible your boot2 got updated and u (temporarily) lost bootmii as boot2 in the process... u should have reinstalled it right away (especially b4 screwing with apps that have brick potential like mymenuify)

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch.
lecture.gif

I still haven't messed with themes yet. If I try at all, it's going to be with SNEEK.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this was a dumb mistake, I had 3.2 before and used this theme and I hadn't labeled it
blush.gif

I unfortunately don't have priiloader, had it, and I was convinced of having it when I installed my theme... I was wrong
I put the right files on my SD card, and I even downloaded other ones on the internet but it doesn't boot anyway
But I do have a nand backup and the keys, but no infectus
I also stoped updating through nintendo a long time ago, and I updated by wanikoko's 4.0 updater.
But can't I fix this with savemiifrii and a newer game?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
i'm not 100% about what i am about 2 say... so keep that in mind

the bootmii files may be different for different versions of bootmii, make sure u have the right ones for whatever version u have installed... also make sure that if u have a bootmii.ini file, that autoboot is disabled

I don't think savemiifrii will work if u dont have a modchip (or other specific softmods in place... like cIOS249, priiloader, or SM hacks or something... but if u had priiloader u wouldn't need to use that method anyways)... some1 correct me if i'm wrong, i really dont know that much about savemiifrii as bootmii and/or priiloader have always been enough to protect any wii I've worked with

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think that the bootmii files I downloaded are old and the ones that i have got misplaced with previous versions I had kept before. But I really have no idea where to get the bootmii file, the first time I got lucky since
it was on some random forum, so if anyone knows of a place, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And from what I've read, savemiifrii automatically updates the wii when a game with a higher firmware then the one you have is inserted in the drive.

So I'm just searching for the less expensive method, so I already destroyed a gamecube controller for savemiifrii and if it is the case, I will borrow a newer game, and if that doesn't work, I'll try infectus, and if that fails too... I'm left with Nintendo
wacko.gif

By the way, does Nintendo charge more if your wii is softmodded?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xflak: BootMii files are independent of whatever's installed in boot2. I misplaced my Wii's SD card and needed to use one for something, and it had a v0.1 BootMii folder on it (I had v0.6 on my main SD card). The Wii booted BootMii.

OP: Try BootMii with another SD card...

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure the SD card isn't the problem, bootmii unbricked my wii more then once before and I already tried it with 2 cards so I think it's the files. But I'm not too sure, when the drive flashes, it means bootmii is installed, right?

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
I'm sure the SD card isn't the problem, bootmii unbricked my wii more then once before and I already tried it with 2 cards so I think it's the files. But I'm not too sure, when the drive flashes, it means bootmii is installed, right?
I guess you shouldn't have pushed your luck or read more about what you were installing.
You already bricked your Wii more than once. You deserve to have a bricked Wii for being an idiot.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
harmor said:
metamaster said:
I guess you shouldn't have pushed your luck or read more about what you were installing.
You already bricked your Wii more than once. You deserve to have a bricked Wii for being an idiot.
FYI I was fully aware of the consequences and had read more enough to understand how to install this. This was a paying attention mistake. And I doubt that you would stop installing homebrew on your wii because it got bricked. And I don't think ANYONE should have to deserve to have their wii bricked and to pay to get another one.

Leathl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Note: I'm not 100% with this!

Try to get an original copy of NSMBWii or any other game with 4.1 on it. Use SaveMiiFrii and insert the disc, it should start to update your Wii. Don't turn it off or anything!

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
kitt050383's Brick Fixing Disc's, Modchip/Trucha Wii's Only!! -AutoBoot Tool Disc's

QUOTE said:
.:: Requirements for the Wii Rescue Disc ::.
- This is for Modchip's only!!!! or Now with cIOSCORPS any version still installed! (not a Guarantee!)
- Your Wii must be able to read Trucha Signed Disc's!!!!!
- This Disc is not Region Specific!!! (should not be anyway!)
- The HomeBrew is copyright/TM to respective owners!!
- Diagnostic Disc Check Hack **** DOES NOT NEED TO BE ENABLED!!! ****
- cIOS must be installed to IOS slot 249! (cIOS249 rev14+ by: Waninkoko)
- Standard sd-card or usb formatted to Fat32! w/ homebrew tools. (wadmanger multimod etc...)
- A SaveMii or you can use the SaveMii Free method! To access the rescue menu. (google it!)

.... so these disks wont work if u have a new D3-2 wii, or if u dont have a modchip (it may work if u have and old wii with cioscorp working though), u also need cIOS249rev14 or higher (may be broken after rev 17)... so basically it is very unlikely that this will work for you, and I doubt u meet the requirements

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, I have cIOS 249 (I have no idea what rev, maybe 18) installed and a ios that is trucha patched (although I never managed to play burned games with wiiflow, backup launchers, etc.) The Diagnostic Disc Check Hack I am not too sure, but I had preloader at one time so it might be there. I have an old wii (not lu64). So I will try the disc, and if it does not work, NSMBWii, and if that fails, I'm left with the infectus. Thanks for all the feedback
yay.gif

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, So I tried the disc (burned at x16) and the drive reads the disc, and from what I heard, it just stops.
I've tried all of the files from the link, and it produced the same result.
So now I'm left with NSMBWii, which will take a while to get. But does the NSMBWii trick work without any special requirements (cIOS, preloader, etc.)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1