1. sibio

sibio Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Well, Series X has the gaming performances of a medium-end PC for a cheap price. If Microsoft puts Windows 10 on it, I might consider buying one along with my primary high-end rig.

Deleted User and BORTZ like this.
  2. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Fan

Angola
  3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I mean, this is just the problem with the Xbox brand in general.

Outside of the entirety of the OG Xbox and the early years of the 360, a lot of these games stayed exclusive to the Microsoft consoles. The 3D Ninja Gaidens, a lot of Sega games that still haven't seen a re-release (maybe get on this at some point after getting done porting a certain series over completely? And yeah, while Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 is on everything as well as Sigma 2, Sigma 2 is still censored to shit for no reason that I can tell), some other exclusives here and there, and they had a solid base. The early years of the 360 (think pre-Kinect) did the same sort of thing on top of having some stuff that I would love to see get ported to modern platforms.

But after that, the games that used to be their massive sellers were ported to PC. Halo, Gears (at least, any Gears game that's the remaster of the OG and what came after it), and future exclusives stopped being actual exclusives. Hell, they ported Killer Instinct to Steam, and that was the only game they had at launch that I was kind of looking forward to (kind of because it didn't have that many characters at launch, but y'know).

Then the question becomes: "well, why the hell do I need to buy an Xbox system when the PC is gonna be able to play the game just the same, if not better, than whatever Microsoft has on offer that will look impressive for a few months before the PCs outdo whatever both of these systems are selling you, and its "BC" options (emulation and the many ports of other games) is better than what the consoles have?"

Even for console gamers, I can't see this selling all that well unless if you're in some lower income bracket and you're using some hand me down 1080p TV/monitor. I have a 4K TV at this point, and while I haven't actually played anything that really takes advantage of that resolution (I still am rocking a 1080, and not even that is enough for 4K on something like Injustice 2, not at full speed or maxed out graphical settings), the Xbox Series X just seems like a more rounded option atm especially given the better built-in storage capacity IMO.

Rafciu, CrossOut and BORTZ like this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

It's interesting for someone like me I have a Nvidia GTX 1650 PC, it might play some next gen games but can't do ray tracing and it will probably end up not being able to play next gen games at some point. So do I buy an entirely new expensive PC or I could buy something like this. It's a Laptop too so I can't easily just upgrade.

Last edited Sep 8, 2020
  5. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    Oh this will sell, definitely during the holiday season. People forget that us basement dwellers aren't the main audience for Microsoft and Sony. Sure, we have the vocal power but the casual consumer has the ability to speak with their wallets. Many casuals will just look at price and features and order according to that.

As a person who has a gaming pc for work and games, PC gaming is a huge hassle. There are many problems and inconveniences that come with it and I would never recommend it to the average console gamer.

Last edited by GoldenBullet, Sep 8, 2020
    Codemastershock likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I remember Big Box days very fondly, all of my PC games were displayed in my room, to the point that my mother criticised me for making it look like a store. I loved it, the boxes looked really cool and were often pretty decorative. As I was growing up I saw a gradual shift to jewel cases until in the end PC games disappeared from store shelves altogether. Every now and then you still see a release of some kind in a dingy corner of a game store, but usually it's just a Steam code in a box, making it an exercise in wasting plastic. Then again, I suppose you still have the part you wanted - something to display, but... It's not the same. Ahh, I miss the good old days.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  7. Silent_Gunner

United States
    I have no doubt about that, but the question is who will sell out first and restock first afterwards as well? I think this will also play a bigger factor than some may expect. Sure, you're gonna have the Sony and MS diehards, but for your normie consoomer it's gonna be like whatever to them unless if they see and/or hear about the lack of a disc drive and they have a tendency to trade in games for newer ones.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    heheeh yeah i remember huge boxes twice the size of the cd that needed to be in it and real instruction manuals. oh and lets not forget the fucking code books trying to stop pirating :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 8, 2020
    Foxi4 likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

This guy might have shed a tear when PC went all digital.

[​IMG]

Rafciu, Dax_Fame, Foxi4 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Silent_Gunner

United States

I wish I was born in the 80's as opposed to the 90's so I could have collected stuff like this when it was cheaper to do so...

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Funny you mention that. I strongly recommend playing Wasteland: Remastered. I've never played a more faithfully remade game, all of the content from the original 1987 release is there, including exploits and tricks. The reason why I bring it up is the manual - Wasteland featured numbered paragraphs that you had to look up in order to progress the game as an anti-piracy measure. They're now all fully voiced in the release, including all the *fake* paragraphs that were meant to stop cheaters from exploiting the game by offering information that would immediately get you killed. For instance, at one point in the game bouncers are asking you for a password - if you play by the rules, everything proceeds normally. If you read ahead in the manual and put in the fake password, everyone turns hostile and you get wrecked. Ace 10/10 digital recreation of the Wasteland experience, and it's on Gamepass. It was a joy to experience it yet again, now prettier than ever and fully voiced.

12. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I'll probably get a series x, but it won't be for the optical drive. I've moved all digital since the 360 generation. I don't find the second hand market all that great in my area. After a popular game is about a year old, used copies are usually more expensive than the discounted digital version. Also the Xbox ecosystem pretty much guarantees that once you own a digital title, you'll be able to play it on future consoles (and some cases PC also).

13. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Its fucking stupid to even plan on releasing multiple versions with different hardware.

So you end up paying more for the high end model, but its games wont take full advantage as itll have to support these recycled inferior consoles.

Im glad i wont be investing in anymore shitboxes.

14. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA President Elect of the United States of Reality

United States
    No physical, no sell.

15. buffdave2323

buffdave2323 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    wow perfect

16. dangopig

dangopig Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    I really don't like that circular black thing... They could've made it the same colour as the console.

17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Agree... but, oh well... I guess some white paint can do the trick.

18. Tweaker_Modding

Tweaker_Modding Siezure Dice™

United Kingdom
    ngl for a next gen system thats pretty cheap

19. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Yes, the issue is that the Xbox One is not intended to read a game directly to the disk like a 360 does, when you pop a game disk on the console it 'asks to install an update" which is just the game compiled to run on the Xbox One, meaning on the initial install you have to be online. After installed, it will run everytime you insert the disk as it is meant to, you can even run the game completely offline.

On the Series kind of things, I highly think the One compatibility is not emulated like 360 and Classic, it is just the same operating system (or systems for that matter, the One runs two virtualized OSes, one for games and other for apps), what I think is they add another machine profile with the enhanced capabilities unlocked like how Xbox One and One X do. I suspected kinda early how in a Xbox One update in the beginning of the year and posted on Reddit how the logo inside the About page was replaced from the Xbox One logo to just Xbox and after some months they did reveal the new design language that will be used for both One and Series consoles. The bootscreen remains unchanged.

Last edited by Codemastershock, Sep 9, 2020
  20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Sorry, already got a Windows machine :creep:

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - officially, confirmed, finally