Hacking The Unofficial "WiiVC Injector Script Doesn't Work" (Black Screen) Thread

swankerme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be a large (but quiet) percentage of people for whom TeeconMoon's WiiVC Injector Script does not work for. Many people, across countless threads and posts, discuss the black screen of death. I'm hoping to consolidate those people here in this thread, so we may discover commonalities and get this problem solved.

I'm running a 32 GB Wii U (USA). Full CBHC, vWii hacked. I followed three primary guides; the "Wii U Hacks Guide" website, the newbie thread here, and the vWii thread here.

I can successfully build Wii and GCN titles with the WiiVC Injector script. ISO's are clean, the region is proper, Title Keys are in. I use WUP Installer GX to install the titles from SD Card. I have installed both to USB and system memory. I have tried a Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB external USB HDD; a 32 GB SanDisk flash drive; and a 64 GB Micro SD adapted through USB. All of these solutions do not work. Here is the problem that occurs:

I select the successfully installed title. The boot screen pops up, I then select whether I want to use the gamepad or not. If I select Gamepad, the screen goes dark and begins "loading". The Wii U begins to whir, the TV goes black and switches input signals (as if going into vWii). The gamepad displays "Wii". Moments later, the gamepad goes black, the screen remains black, and nothing displays. The harddrive turns off. The system remains frozen, and can only be reset by unplugging.

RELATED THREADS:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-gamecube-injection-nintendont-blackscreen.502312/#post-7942830
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-backups-dont-load.502940/#post-7955751
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-inject-problem.501284/#post-7921025
https://gbatemp.net/threads/having-issues-with-gc-injections-black-screening-at-launch.504680/

HARD DRIVES USED (with no success):

SEAGATE SRD0SP0 1 TB EXTERNAL HDD
TOSHIBA DTB310 (CANVIO BASIC) 1 TB EXTERNAL HDD
SanDisk 64GB microSDXC adapted through USB adapter

Also of note, the author of the script, TeeconMoon, stated this in his original thread:

Hi all, very surprised to see people are still using this horrible tool after all this time. If it hasn't been painfully obvious, I essentially abandoned this project for some time. All the attempted work I put into this was just because there wasn't an existing tool for Wii / GC injects, and I'm very surprised no one has come along and written a better tool. Probably because interest in the Wii U has been so low no one has really cared to.

To clarify a few things:
  1. I will be posting the terrible source code in the OP soon, maybe someone will be motivated enough to run with it
  2. I am not a programmer by any stretch, kinda the main reason this program sucks so much
  3. There have been a plethora of GameCube issues with blackscreen crashing, maybe @FIX94 and I can work on that (Edit: Yo also maybe @ploggy can weigh in). For titles that generate successfully, the nintendont forwarder always loads, but the forwarder very often fails to load nintendont and leaves no logs behind. For example if you leave the SD card out of the system or don't have a config file, you'll see the error messages stating as such every single time, but once you put the SD card in the system it will often fail to load nintendont.
The only reason I'm revisiting this at all is because I got a new Wii U and was re-generating all my titles, all my Wii titles generated without issue but had a hard time loading GameCube titles.

Anyways, have fun continuing to discuss whatever it is you're discussing.

Last edited by swankerme,
Reactions: n00bias and Shahaan

n00bias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of my injections (GC and wii) are also getting the black screen of death. I am using a 500gb WD hdd. My Wii USB helper games install and run fine tho. I'm using wup installer gx2.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
All of my injections (GC and wii) are also getting the black screen of death. I am using a 500gb WD hdd. My Wii USB helper games install and run fine tho. I'm using wup installer gx2.

Try installing your personal Wii/GC injection to your System NAND instead of your external USB HDD to test to see if your HDD is the issue. Even though the HDD works fine with WiiU games, the common issue is when the Wii/GC injects boots into vWii mode to launch the game, this is when some types of ext USB HDD does not initiate in time for the game to load in vWii, it's an issue in vWii on how it handles ext USB HDD's.

If you decide to test by installing the Wii/GC game on your System NAND, it's a good idea to disconnect your ext USB HDD and have nothing connected in any of the USB ports.
Be warned though, disconnecting your ext USB HDD, will reset all the game sorting that you have done on your WiiU, if you have a lot of games, neatly sorted in folders, you will have to do it all over again.

Another alternative method that some people did to get Wii/GC injects working is, first boot into vWii, then exit back to the WiiU menu and try booting the Wii/GC inject.

Reactions: n00bias

n00bias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try installing your personal Wii/GC injection to your System NAND instead of your external USB HDD to test to see if your HDD is the issue. Even though the HDD works fine with WiiU games, the common issue is when the Wii/GC injects boots into vWii mode to launch the game, this is when some types of ext USB HDD does not initiate in time for the game to load in vWii, it's an issue in vWii on how it handles ext USB HDD's.

If you decide to test by installing the Wii/GC game on your System NAND, it's a good idea to disconnect your ext USB HDD and have nothing connected in any of the USB ports.
Be warned though, disconnecting your ext USB HDD, will reset all the game sorting that you have done on your WiiU, if you have a lot of games, neatly sorted in folders, you will have to do it all over again.

Another alternative method that some people did to get Wii/GC injects working is, first boot into vWii, then exit back to the WiiU menu and try booting the Wii/GC inject.

Does it matter if my HDD is USB 2.0 and has its own PSU? Also none of my injections were created from isos, I used .gcm and .wbfs . Could that be an issue?

JerryAnderium

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I got my games working by running nintendont in vWii and starting a game, after that all games will work. The only thing is that the black screen returns after I install a new game with wupinstaller, which is easily solved by repeating the same method.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does it matter if my HDD is USB 2.0 and has its own PSU? Also none of my injections were created from isos, I used .gcm and .wbfs . Could that be an issue?

Doesn't matter if you HDD has it's own PSU, it works the same as having the USB Y cable for those smaller portable ext USB HDD's.

GCM and WBFS works the same, I have used both formats and they work fine, also during the inject process for Wii games, it converts the WBFS file to the FULL ISO file anyways to extract and convert the files as needed.

Also it's also a good idea to check the WiiU VC Wii inject compatibility list site HERE, to make sure your Wii game is working and if it requires any special instructions to make the game work.

If your GC GCM files are also shrinked, check out the Nintendont Compatibility List site HERE, some GC games doesn't work if it's shrinked, also there is two apps that can shrink the GCM file, just be aware which on is used, this info is all in the site.

D

Deleted User

I've had this problem recently, what I did was start Nintendont alone, was granted with a stuck progress bar, I downloaded the last version and copied it on my SD, everytime I used any tools to do that (Wii U USB Helper or WiiVC Injection Script) it was not working.

I then changed the parameters and updated everything from Nintendont directly (Nintendont, controllers.zip titles etc...) and it now works flawlessly.

n00bias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter if you HDD has it's own PSU, it works the same as having the USB Y cable for those smaller portable ext USB HDD's.

GCM and WBFS works the same, I have used both formats and they work fine, also during the inject process for Wii games, it converts the WBFS file to the FULL ISO file anyways to extract and convert the files as needed.

Also it's also a good idea to check the WiiU VC Wii inject compatibility list site HERE, to make sure your Wii game is working and if it requires any special instructions to make the game work.

If your GC GCM files are also shrinked, check out the Nintendont Compatibility List site HERE, some GC games doesn't work if it's shrinked, also there is two apps that can shrink the GCM file, just be aware which on is used, this info is all in the site.

My files are not shrunk and I followed the compatibility list when I made them. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to play around with it tonight.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've had this problem recently, what I did was start Nintendont alone, was granted with a stuck progress bar, I downloaded the last version and copied it on my SD, everytime I used any tools to do that (Wii U USB Helper or WiiVC Injection Script) it was not working.

I then changed the parameters and updated everything from Nintendont directly (Nintendont, controllers.zip titles etc...) and it now works flawlessly.

Did you do this in the vWii or via a forwarder? I have not hacked my vWii and I just stumbled on the nintendont forwarder which claims I can leave my vWii untouched. So I have some options to try. I am gonna try moving my injections to the NAND to see if it is the HDD that is the issue, if it is then I will order a y cable since I have a spare 500gb 2.5 inch drive and enclosure laying around.

qorva

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me Wii VC injects work fine with gamepad support and everything, but I've spent hours and hours trying to get Gamecube working past the black screen.
The strange thing is, Gamecube VC's will boot nintendont properly if I disable gamepad support. I just don't have any controller that I can use for that.
All I want is to play Gamecube games in bed with the gamepad screen :'( Then my Wii U will finally be complete.

Reactions: n00bias

n00bias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me Wii VC injects work fine with gamepad support and everything, but I've spent hours and hours trying to get Gamecube working past the black screen.
The strange thing is, Gamecube VC's will boot nintendont properly if I disable gamepad support. I just don't have any controller that I can use for that.
All I want is to play Gamecube games in bed with the gamepad screen :'( Then my Wii U will finally be complete.
I view the Wii U strictly as a handheld console . Except for during setup I have never used it in my tv. What kind of external hard drive are you using?

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There seems to be a large (but quiet) percentage of people for whom TeeconMoon's WiiVC Injector Script does not work for. Many people, across countless threads and posts, discuss the black screen of death. I'm hoping to consolidate those people here in this thread, so we may discover commonalities and get this problem solved.

I'm running a 32 GB Wii U (USA). Full CBHC, vWii hacked. I followed three primary guides; the "Wii U Hacks Guide" website, the newbie thread here, and the vWii thread here.

I can successfully build Wii and GCN titles with the WiiVC Injector script. ISO's are clean, the region is proper, Title Keys are in. I use WUP Installer GX to install the titles from SD Card. I have installed both to USB and system memory. I have tried a Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB external USB HDD; a 32 GB SanDisk flash drive; and a 64 GB Micro SD adapted through USB. All of these solutions do not work. Here is the problem that occurs:

I select the successfully installed title. The boot screen pops up, I then select whether I want to use the gamepad or not. If I select Gamepad, the screen goes dark and begins "loading". The Wii U begins to whir, the TV goes black and switches input signals (as if going into vWii). The gamepad displays "Wii". Moments later, the gamepad goes black, the screen remains black, and nothing displays. The harddrive turns off. The system remains frozen, and can only be reset by unplugging.