The Unofficial "WiiVC Injector Script Doesn't Work" (Black Screen) Thread

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by swankerme, Jan 1, 2019.

1. swankerme
    OP

swankerme Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2018
    United States
    There seems to be a large (but quiet) percentage of people for whom TeeconMoon's WiiVC Injector Script does not work for. Many people, across countless threads and posts, discuss the black screen of death. I'm hoping to consolidate those people here in this thread, so we may discover commonalities and get this problem solved.

I'm running a 32 GB Wii U (USA). Full CBHC, vWii hacked. I followed three primary guides; the "Wii U Hacks Guide" website, the newbie thread here, and the vWii thread here.

I can successfully build Wii and GCN titles with the WiiVC Injector script. ISO's are clean, the region is proper, Title Keys are in. I use WUP Installer GX to install the titles from SD Card. I have installed both to USB and system memory. I have tried a Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB external USB HDD; a 32 GB SanDisk flash drive; and a 64 GB Micro SD adapted through USB. All of these solutions do not work. Here is the problem that occurs:

I select the successfully installed title. The boot screen pops up, I then select whether I want to use the gamepad or not. If I select Gamepad, the screen goes dark and begins "loading". The Wii U begins to whir, the TV goes black and switches input signals (as if going into vWii). The gamepad displays "Wii". Moments later, the gamepad goes black, the screen remains black, and nothing displays. The harddrive turns off. The system remains frozen, and can only be reset by unplugging.

RELATED THREADS:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-gamecube-injection-nintendont-blackscreen.502312/#post-7942830
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-backups-dont-load.502940/#post-7955751
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-inject-problem.501284/#post-7921025
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/having-issues-with-gc-injections-black-screening-at-launch.504680/

HARD DRIVES USED (with no success):

SEAGATE SRD0SP0 1 TB EXTERNAL HDD
    TOSHIBA DTB310 (CANVIO BASIC) 1 TB EXTERNAL HDD
    SanDisk 64GB microSDXC adapted through USB adapter

Also of note, the author of the script, TeeconMoon, stated this in his original thread:

Last edited by swankerme, Jan 6, 2019
    n00bias and Shahaan like this.
  2. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    All of my injections (GC and wii) are also getting the black screen of death. I am using a 500gb WD hdd. My Wii USB helper games install and run fine tho. I'm using wup installer gx2.

3. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Try installing your personal Wii/GC injection to your System NAND instead of your external USB HDD to test to see if your HDD is the issue. Even though the HDD works fine with WiiU games, the common issue is when the Wii/GC injects boots into vWii mode to launch the game, this is when some types of ext USB HDD does not initiate in time for the game to load in vWii, it's an issue in vWii on how it handles ext USB HDD's.

If you decide to test by installing the Wii/GC game on your System NAND, it's a good idea to disconnect your ext USB HDD and have nothing connected in any of the USB ports.
    Be warned though, disconnecting your ext USB HDD, will reset all the game sorting that you have done on your WiiU, if you have a lot of games, neatly sorted in folders, you will have to do it all over again.

Another alternative method that some people did to get Wii/GC injects working is, first boot into vWii, then exit back to the WiiU menu and try booting the Wii/GC inject.

n00bias likes this.
  4. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    Does it matter if my HDD is USB 2.0 and has its own PSU? Also none of my injections were created from isos, I used .gcm and .wbfs . Could that be an issue?

5. JerryAnderium

JerryAnderium Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2018
    Mexico
    I got my games working by running nintendont in vWii and starting a game, after that all games will work. The only thing is that the black screen returns after I install a new game with wupinstaller, which is easily solved by repeating the same method.

6. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Doesn't matter if you HDD has it's own PSU, it works the same as having the USB Y cable for those smaller portable ext USB HDD's.

GCM and WBFS works the same, I have used both formats and they work fine, also during the inject process for Wii games, it converts the WBFS file to the FULL ISO file anyways to extract and convert the files as needed.

Also it's also a good idea to check the WiiU VC Wii inject compatibility list site HERE, to make sure your Wii game is working and if it requires any special instructions to make the game work.

If your GC GCM files are also shrinked, check out the Nintendont Compatibility List site HERE, some GC games doesn't work if it's shrinked, also there is two apps that can shrink the GCM file, just be aware which on is used, this info is all in the site.

7. 666dsa666

666dsa666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2013
    France
    I've had this problem recently, what I did was start Nintendont alone, was granted with a stuck progress bar, I downloaded the last version and copied it on my SD, everytime I used any tools to do that (Wii U USB Helper or WiiVC Injection Script) it was not working.

I then changed the parameters and updated everything from Nintendont directly (Nintendont, controllers.zip titles etc...) and it now works flawlessly.

8. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    My files are not shrunk and I followed the compatibility list when I made them. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to play around with it tonight.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Did you do this in the vWii or via a forwarder? I have not hacked my vWii and I just stumbled on the nintendont forwarder which claims I can leave my vWii untouched. So I have some options to try. I am gonna try moving my injections to the NAND to see if it is the HDD that is the issue, if it is then I will order a y cable since I have a spare 500gb 2.5 inch drive and enclosure laying around.

9. qorva

qorva Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    For me Wii VC injects work fine with gamepad support and everything, but I've spent hours and hours trying to get Gamecube working past the black screen.
    The strange thing is, Gamecube VC's will boot nintendont properly if I disable gamepad support. I just don't have any controller that I can use for that.
    All I want is to play Gamecube games in bed with the gamepad screen :'( Then my Wii U will finally be complete.

n00bias likes this.
  10. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    I view the Wii U strictly as a handheld console . Except for during setup I have never used it in my tv. What kind of external hard drive are you using?

11. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    are the injection the same region as your console.had the same issue when i used a different region.every injection is on my ext hdd .only thing different is that my vwii isn't hacked.whith wii games the gamepad always turns off,that's normal but the the should display it.did you try with de default options in techmoon for wii?for gamecube make sure the nintendont file is setup properly

12. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    Mine are all in my region. Ideally, I want everything on the same drive, but I hope I can get the Wii games to work. I don't mind setting up a SD card to hold my GC cames and use Nintendont Forwarder.

13. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
  14. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    hemi426 likes this.
  15. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    UPDATE

I had about 30 mins to myself yesterday and installed my test images to the NAND and guess what it worked, well kind of. Only 2 issues, both user inflicted. I screwed up my Wii inject as the gamepad wouldn't work and I didn't have Nintendont in the right folder. I had it in SD/wiiu/apps and after some research, I think it should be in SD/apps. I may have time again tonight to continue tinkering. I love this shit :D.

16. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Just put your sdcard in your pc and click on Nintendont sd Cars menu (upper corner wiivc menu ).use download to sd Card and make a config file and it's done

17. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    No way, that would be way too easy! Actually, I did that and like a fool moved it to the wii/apps folder.

hemi426 likes this.
  18. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States
    Update, tried the HDD in an enclosure with y cable and everything appears to be working as it should. Need to test many more Wii/GC games.

hemi426 likes this.
  19. Omegared89

Omegared89 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2016
    United States
    something new here?

20. n00bias

n00bias Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    United States