AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Please don't quote this long post!

Well, we've finally got NSMBU working with custom levels via cafiine. So, here is the unofficial guide of NSMBU hacking:

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. MUSIC HACKING
  2. LEVEL EDITING
  3. EDITING WORLDS' NAMES, AND LEVELS' NAMES
  4. CUSTOM TILESETS
  5. CUSTOM TEXTURES/OUTFITS
  6. LOADING CUSTOM STUFF

LET'S-A-GO!

• MUSIC HACKING:

Music and SFX files are BFWAV files, they are all included in some "Wave archives"(BFWARs), all of the BFWARs are included in one BFSAR file.

For the sake of saving time, we're going to extract BFWAVs right from the BFSAR! And skip the BFWARs part like bosses... :rofl:

Step 1: Get your BFSAR file ready.
Step 2: Download VGMToolBox.
Step 3: Go to this page and right-click, click "Save page as", and click "Save".
Step 4: Move "wiiufwav.xml" to "\plugins\AdvancedCutter\" inside VGMToolBox folder.
Step 5: Launch "VGMToolbox.exe", and go to "Misc. Tools>Extraction Tools>Generic>Advanced Cutter/Offset Finder", like in the photo:
KUXApNT.png

x7LpwOd.png
CdfKUS5.png
Done!

TsmBwHR.png

fnucS07.png

Quick tip here: If you want to listen to BFWAVs on your computer, download foobar2000, and install this component.

Soon!™, @soneek is working on it.
Soon!™, @soneek is working on it.

• LEVEL EDITING:

There is a thread for sharing custom levels. See here. For that thread, I will tell you how to edit/make levels.

Download Reggie! NSMBU by @RoadrunnerWMC, or my version for faster loading and texture rendering(You can get it from my Github, TESTED ON WINDOWS ONLY!!).

Download and install the following:

Run the following in a command prompt:
Code:
python3 reggie.py
You can replace python3 with the path to python.exe (including "python.exe" at the end) and reggie.py with the path to reggie.py (including "reggie.py" at the end)

Levels in NSMBU are compressed SARC archives, let's decompress them for faster loading.
This isn't recommended, because the size of all the levels DECOMPRESSED: 4.46 GB (4,798,389,810 bytes).....!
Step 1: Download yaz0dec by thakis.
Step 2: put "decomp.bat" and yaz0dec in the same folder as the levels.
Step 3: run decomp.bat, wait.

This is where real editing begins!
You can't create new levels due to the editor limitations, so... edit an existing one!
Step 1: Open reggie.py and run it, choose a level, SARC or SZS, choose 1-1.sarc/szs for example
Step 2: Edit the level however you want(don't mess things up, otherwise your level might crash!)
Step 3: Once you're done, click "File", then "Export Level As...", choose a name, it must end with ".sarc"! (example:1-1.sarc)
KxW69d5.png
, don't panic! You have to choose a name again, it must NOT end with ".sarc"(example:1-1).

Done! Now we compress the level.

In NSMBU, you must compress levels back to SZS.
Step 1: Download.
Step 2: Create a New Text Document and rename it to comp.bat.
Step 3: Right-click, Edit, type:
Code:
fake_yaz0.exe input.sarc compressed.szs
Step 4: replace "input.sarc" with path and name of your level, Example: "B:\Course\1-1.sarc".
Step 5: replace "compressed.szs" with the name you want(ends with .szs), Example: "1-1.szs".
Step 6: Save and run, wait.
No steps available, yet.
Step 1: Download.
Step 1.5: Double-click "sendto-install.bat", and wait. You might need to restart your PC after this.
Step 2: Create a New Text Document and rename it to comp.bat.
Step 3: Right-click, Edit, type:
Code:
wszst compress input.sarc --dest compressed.szs
Step 4: replace "input.sarc" with path and name of your level, Example: "B:\Course\1-1.sarc".
Step 5: replace "compressed.szs" with the name you want(ends with .szs), Example: "1-1.szs".
Step 6: Save and run, wait.
Download.

You're now done with compressing the level, now, let's go PLAY THE LEVEL!

To be completed soon!™ ;)
STAY TUNED! :D

Special thanks to:
Whoever made VGMToolBox.
Whoever made YAZ0COMP.EXE (yaz0kit).
Whoever made fake_yaz0.exe.
@MrRean, @RoadrunnerWMC, @Hiccup, Grop, Treeki, and any other person that worked on Reggie! Next.
@soneek.
Thakis for yaz0dec.
@NWPlayer123, @Marionumber1, @Hykem and anyone who made Wii U hacking possible.

Last edited by AboodXD,

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell is wrong with the mods around here?
How can my post be offtopic?
Smh
Anyways
Can models be loaded to 3ds max?
And than exported at least?

Reactions: AileenLumina

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is yaz0dec/SZS to SARC made by you? Because it's on your github while you're not crediting anyone. :)

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Is yaz0dec/SZS to SARC made by you? Because it's on your github while you're not crediting anyone. :)
Amethyst said:
Eh, it's for the internet. Who cares? :P
No, I didn't make it, I uploaded it to github.com because it's easier to do.
Also, I recognize you from RHCafe, you asked if you can decompress more than an szs file in a time, hope this tutorial helps because it tells you how. :)
Step 1: Download yaz0dec.
Step 2: put "decomp.bat" and yaz0dec in the same folder as the levels.
Step 3: run decomp.bat, wait.

Last edited by AboodXD,

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That wouldn't even work. You have to use a Powershell command to properly rename the files.

Just one thing: Can you at least add who has made yaz0dec (mrysav), YAZ0COMP.EXE and Reggie! NSMBU (MrRean et al.)? If you'd do that, nobody would complain. :)

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
That wouldn't even work. You have to use a Powershell command to properly rename the files.

Just one thing: Can you at least add who has made yaz0dec (mrysav), YAZ0COMP.EXE and Reggie! NSMBU (MrRean et al.)? If you'd do that, nobody would complain. :)
Yes, it works, did you try it? At least I did.
I mean, try it, and if didn't work, I'll try to help you. :)

mrysav didn't make yaz0dec... it was made by thakis.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, the yaz0dec.exe in my github isn't the original yaz0dec, it's an edited version. ;)

Last edited by AboodXD,

Ohad1th

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Super Mario Maker is a good game, I admit it.
But, it's actually limited! Anyone who isn't new to Mario hacking scene would know this. ;)
That's way I chose NSMBU over SMM.

Guess you're right lol , too bad I habe 5.5.1 and I'm not good with these stuff lol

TheTrueScruffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tutorial! Also the levels that are contained in SARC archives contain all the Tilesets and Objects/Sprites used in the level. This means that you are limited to whatever this level supports. Example: Placing a Rolling Hill in 1-1 will crash the game once you get near it, this happens because the file "circle_ground" doesn't exist in 1-1.szs. Though you can't modify 1-1 with placing a Rolling Hill in it, you can modify 1-3 then save it as 1-1. The only thing is that 1-3 might not contain anything else like a Red Coin Ring needed to remake 1-1 from NSMBW (Which is what i'm trying to do.) Maybe (IF it's possible) Someone can create a mod for ReggieNSMBU where you can place sprites in a level that don't exist then select the SARC where the sprite exists in and then save like that. (It isn't possible to just copy the file over because there must be some Database in the file where it knows where all the sprites are and it just crashes whenever I try to load the level ins NSMBU Reggie.)

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Thanks for the tutorial! Also the levels that are contained in SARC archives contain all the Tilesets and Objects/Sprites used in the level.
You're right
This means that you are limited to whatever this level supports. Example: Placing a Rolling Hill in 1-1 will crash the game once you get near it, this happens because the file "circle_ground" doesn't exist in 1-1.szs.
You're wrong!! :O
Placing a rolling hill will work, even if circle_ground doesn't exist inside 1-1.szs. (It's probably that you didn't use the correct settings for it)

Yes, every level has its own tilesets.
A new level editor (Satoru) will be released soon, and it will fix that issue. ;)

Last edited by AboodXD,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...