Hacking The ultimate list of mods to enter RCM

Puppydogpals

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PIN 9&10 which, I found out after the fact can apparently be stopped by a joycon firmware update. So after some discussion with the reswitched discord, I'm going to try again by soldering 1 to 10 with a 10k resistor which fixes this problem. I'll report back with the results. As of now, I've had no problem with the 9&10 jump which I've tested on 4.0.1, 4.1, and 5.0.2.
Why you using a resistor on 1 to 10?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why you using a resistor on 1 to 10?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well I'm not 100% sure so I couldn't tell you the technical reason, but according to people on the reswitched discord apparently there are joycon firmware updates that can stop modded joycon from working to enter rcm. When a modded joycon is updated it is essentially bricked until the jump is desoldered. Adding the 10k resistor would supposedly prevent the joycon from bricking if the update were to do so.

My logic is, obviously they know more about it than I do, so I'm just gonna take their word and be safe rather than sorry.

Reactions: Puppydogpals

M-Gardevoir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Pin 1 to 10 actually half brick my joycon (prevent him to enter portable mode) do for now I'll stick with your solution : pin9 to 10 with a jumper.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 121544 View attachment 121545 View attachment 121546 View attachment 121547 Morning... Thought I`d share my joycon mod. Piece of wire soldered to pin 10, stuck on with double sided tape, through a screw hole, screw a screw through the hole. Doesn`t butcher joycon and is only used when required. Last pic is of a bit of wire wrapped onto USB-C for the ground. Touch this cable onto this screw while holding vol+ and pwr. RCM mode... Obviously trim the excess once the screw is screwed in. I stuck a piece of double sided to the outer side too just to hold the wire still while I put it back together. Remove this when finished.

do you really need to touch the cable to something or will it ground when you touch the cable with your fingers?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nvm, it's just not directly mentioned >.<

there is the tinfoil method for covering 9 & 10
20180520_140011.jpg
20180520_140415.jpg

Last edited by jt_1258,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
do you really need to touch the cable to something or will it ground when you touch the cable with your fingers?
It needs touching to ground. just wrap a piece of wire around the usb connector you are plugging in.

For me this is the easiest and cheapest solution. Zero cost. Not messing around with reed switches. Doesnt affect the consoles functionality in any way.

EDIT: Had some success with the joycon LEDs too. Using the v+ signal from one of them to shunt pin 10 to ground. Works well will write up later

Last edited by mattytrog,
Reactions: Technicmaster0

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It needs touching to ground. just wrap a piece of wire around the usb connector you are plugging in.

For me this is the easiest and cheapest solution. Zero cost. Not messing around with reed switches. Doesnt affect the consoles functionality in any way.

EDIT: Had some success with the joycon LEDs too. Using the v+ signal from one of them to shunt pin 10 to ground. Works well will write up later

that's why i was looking into this, it seems a little easier than two solders, switches and whatnot, i just hoped that it would be possible to keep the wire inside the depression of the screw hole (basically only having a bit poke out or using a conductive screw and maybe bridge the gap between it and my finger with tin foil when its needed.

the entire idea hinged on the thing where touching a safety pin or a paperclip to pin 10 and holding the thing in your fingers was enough to ground it into rcm, so i hoped touching the wire would then be enough to ground it

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
20180531_191603.jpg 20180531_191817.jpg
that's why i was looking into this, it seems a little easier than two solders, switches and whatnot, i just hoped that it would be possible to keep the wire inside the depression of the screw hole (basically only having a bit poke out or using a conductive screw and maybe bridge the gap between it and my finger with tin foil when its needed.

the entire idea hinged on the thing where touching a safety pin or a paperclip to pin 10 and holding the thing in your fingers was enough to ground it into rcm, so i hoped touching the wire would then be enough to ground it

Piece of cake. This is the method I highlighted earlier in the thread. Just to give u an idea.

Edit: I changed the screw for a normal one. Hate triwings with a passion. Makes no difference what screw you use...

Made a quick thread which I expect will get buried... https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-another-joycon-mod-ill-call-it-erm-screwhax.505903/

Last edited by mattytrog,

korncola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Simple question: Where is PIN10? Facing to front side or to back side of the Switch?
This information is missing here. Also i cannot find a picture of the pin layout of the joycon connector of the Switch.

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question: Where is PIN10? Facing to front side or to back side of the Switch?
This information is missing here. Also i cannot find a picture of the pin layout of the joycon connector of the Switch.
This one = pin 10

Attachments

• 20180426_224652.jpg
    20180426_224652.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 617

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
jesus soldering was a nightmare, for some reason, my irons tip (it probably wasn't meant for delicate work to begin with though) wouldn't quite heat up enough to melt the solder without pressing against it for upwards of 10 seconds (at which point the cable itself was already heating up enough to destroy the insulation).
trying to get to the contact with the lower part of the iron eventually managed to do it, but i left a little impression on the plastic right next to the pins.
but its otherwise working, but I really don't feel like doing that again

Reactions: Draxzelex

Nawashi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im kind of stuck here. The rcm mode seems to work. When I vol+ and power, it stays black. When I plug in the USB tho, it starts to charge and boot up. Ive installed the Switch drivers, but it the pc just doesnt recognize it. There is no ADX or similar and Zadig cant find it either. I have no idea what Im doing wrong.. Anyone here have an idea?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im kind of stuck here. The rcm mode seems to work. When I vol+ and power, it stays black. When I plug in the USB tho, it starts to charge and boot up. Ive installed the Switch drivers, but it the pc just doesnt recognize it. There is no ADX or similar and Zadig cant find it either. I have no idea what Im doing wrong.. Anyone here have an idea?
Try booting into RCM while the Switch is plugged in. Your Switch is designed to turn on when its plugged in via USB cable so make sure you turn it off. Also, are you using Windows 10?

Nawashi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Try booting into RCM while the Switch is plugged in. Your Switch is designed to turn on when its plugged in via USB cable so make sure you turn it off. Also, are you using Windows 10?

Yes, I am using Windows 10, sadly. Also, I have tried what you told me to already and that simply doesnt seem to work at all...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I am using Windows 10, sadly. Also, I have tried what you told me to already and that simply doesnt seem to work at all...
I've noticed this happen to several Windows 10 users before even though there have been some Windows 10 users who have booted into RCM. It seems like it would be worth opening a new thread IMO because I have not been able to help out any users who have had this problem nor have I seen any other fixes from other users.

EDIT: If you happen to have an Android device, you can use the app NXLoader instead of your Windows 10 PC.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you open device manager, does it show a new device connected when your switch is plugged in? Try a different cord and different port. Even if it works with other devices, maybe the switch detects it as charge only and proceeds with boot or something, worth a shot to try.

hax4dayz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey you forgot the tinfoil technique. Its verry hard to get right but when you do you can just tape it in place and forget about it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work