Hardware The Switch is a much better home console than the WiiU was!

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 10,427
  • Replies 122
  • Likes 13

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
nowadays the OS\GUI stuff is never finished at launch. they upgrade it and add new stuff as the system "matures"
looking at that, i feel that the GUI\options to manage the data and saves isn't finished\it's rushed...

i think it does make sense that the saves are saved internally on the console.
there is no need to nintendo spend a few bucks to include a save area in the cartridges anymore..
Having said that, this is a problem for a number of reasons. For one thing, it means you can’t use the same save files between multiple Switch consoles, or bring your save games over to a friend’s house. And if your Switch dies, or is lost or stolen,
the website is joking right? come on, seriously?
what about taking the switch into your friend house? it's a portable (home) console, just take the switch into your friend house and put it into your friend's dock...

as for save backups, we can all hope nintendo releases cloud backup like the other consoles

there is a usb port on the dock, right now it's useless it can't do a thing, but let the system mature and maybe we can see usb storage a thing

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
It's precisely because BotW is a Wii U port that it struggles to run at anything other than 720p. If it was developed for Switch first it would be 1080p60. Fast RMX runs 1080p60. Even in 4-player splitscreen.
FAST Racing NEO on the WiiU was already an incredibly awesome game so the development team polished the game once more to have it running on Nintendo's newest console. I'd buy FAST RMX but am hoping they give it a physical release (no one thought that Shovel Knight would get a physical release and it eventually did).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST Racing NEO on the WiiU was already an incredibly awesome game so the development team polished the game once more to have it running on Nintendo's newest console. I'd buy FAST RMX but am hoping they give it a physical release (no one thought that Shovel Knight would get a physical release and it eventually did).
I don't expect the kind of support for Fast RMX that Shovel Knight got, nor the resulting demand for a physical release, but it is a great game. Tons of different car options which change the way you play, and way more tracks than I expected too. I've only played the starter circuit (subsonic) thus far. The first online race I played, I placed second. Dude in front of me smoked me by like 10-15 seconds though. Large skillcap to hit all the boost pads for 100% of their duration and not touch any walls/obstacles.

Redout looks great too, although that I'll likely buy on PC next time it's on sale. Then I'll get to experience it on Vive, take that shit to the Matrix. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi,

pandavova

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's precisely because BotW is a Wii U port that it struggles to run at anything other than 720p. If it was developed for Switch first it would be 1080p60. Fast RMX runs 1080p60. Even in 4-player splitscreen.
Even in 720p it lags.... Very bad....

I will play the Game on my WiiU so long, until CEMU is compatible with BotW... Than i copy my safe faster than you can think...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even in 720p it lags.... Very bad....

I will play the Game on my WiiU so long, until CEMU is compatible with BotW... Than i copy my safe faster than you can think...
CEMU is compatible with just about everything, the issue is mad frame rate drops (and sometimes game-breaking sound glitches) even on the most powerful PCs.

Yeah I imagine the Wii U version would chug a bit too given BotW's view distances, but because 720p is native resolution, it runs phenomenally in portable mode on Switch. Occasional drops in TV mode, apparently triggered by too much grass within view distance. I fully expect by Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, Nintendo will have their games running at 1080p native on Switch.

pandavova

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
CEMU is compatible with just about everything, the issue is mad frame rate drops (and sometimes game-breaking sound glitches) even on the most powerful PCs.

Yeah I imagine the Wii U version would chug a bit too given BotW's view distances, but because 720p is native resolution, it runs phenomenally in portable mode on Switch. Occasional drops in TV mode, apparently triggered by too much grass within view distance. I fully expect by Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, Nintendo will have their games running at 1080p native on Switch.
A bit??? It lags f*cking continuous in a special village...
#imspoilerfree ;)

Reactions: Xzi

F34R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took mine back without even opening it. I tried to convince myself that it was worth it for me. I couldn't do it. It doesn't bring anything to the game for me. Maybe things will pick up and I'll reconsider.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad, let me rephrase it. PS4 doesn't allow you to transfer saves in a way that matters.
You can transfer saves as long as you're using the same PSN account. If you buy a new PS4 you just have to log in.

How does that not matter? If they just let people transfer saves to any account, they would cheat on all of the trophies. Even with the current way you can cheat on some trophies, like I mentioned before.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BOTW blows all of the WiiU titles out of the water. By itself.
Combined with the fact the Wii U is a giant piece of shit.
Switch has already won the war.

Uh... but BOTW is also a Wii U title. The Switch is great, but right now, is it definitively better than the Wii U in terms of the games it has? No. It has a marginally better version of Breath of the Wild. I mean I own both the Switch and the Wii U, but I can say that right now if I found myself in some bizarre situation where I could have only one of my two systems and their current libraries with me and play them indefinitely, I'd go with the Wii U. I'm sure in time the Switch will indeed surpass it, but right now, in terms of the available libraries, it isn't even a question, the Wii U right now has a stronger library, and that's all there is too it. I mean I'm on your side, I want the Switch to be a big success, but its brand new with no backwards compatibility or virtual console yet, you're pretty limited and the one must have game is also available on the other system. Its hard for me to say that the Switch right now is the "much better home console than the Wii U is."

Reactions: Haloman800

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played Zelda for a couple of hours now and wandered through the Switch's UI, I have to say that I'm very satisfied with this OS system that Nintendo's using for the Switch. On the NS we can actually access the Settings instantly and without the necessity of a specific controller, plus, everything looks very pleasingly organised which is really nice.

The Switch Pro Controller is also a lot better IMO, than the Wii U Pro Controller although I don't know if the SPC lasts as long as the WUPC did. I love the technology it has. :)

Can't wait for April 28 when Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (2 items, new characters + proper Battle Mode stages included) & Puyo Puyo Tetris are released.

Thank you, Nintendo!
I cant wait till mario kart 9

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean a fail?

Come on now. The system was a financial failure and consequently didn't have the third party support. But the Wii U still had amazing games, and it could play all those silly motion controlled Wii games as well. I'd say in terms of capabilities, the Wii U was what the Wii should have been.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Come on now. The system was a financial failure and consequently didn't have the third party support. But the Wii U still had amazing games, and it could play all those silly motion controlled Wii games as well. I'd say in terms of capabilities, the Wii U was what the Wii should have been.
As we all know it also could even play GameCube though not native support, not sure why it couldn't. The Wii was backwards compatible with GameCube discs I'm guessing Nintendo didn't want to go too back into one too many generations.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As we all know it also could even play GameCube though not native support, not sure why it couldn't. The Wii was backwards compatible with GameCube discs I'm guessing Nintendo didn't want to go too back into one too many generations.

I'm sure the extra cost of building the gamecube ports and memory card slots also played a role in the decision. Funny thing is Nintendont proved how neither of those are necessary to accomplish Gamecube gaming on the device, and that's true for the Wii as well. But whatever.

But yeah, you're absolutely right though, a hacked Wii U is capable of playing just about every Nintendo system before it and their libraries aside from the 3DS and portions of the N64 and DS libraries. Otherwise, thanks to backwards compatability, VC titles and injects, Nintendont and emulators, all other Nintendo systems and their libraries are capable of being played on the Wii U and that even includes the Virtual Boy. And then of course you have the libraries of systems outside of Nintendo through other emulators like the Genesis, Neo Geo, TurboGrafx, MAME, etc. etc.

Like I said, gun to my head putting me in some strange situation where for the rest of all time I can only have my Switch and all the games currently playable on it or my Wii U with all the games currently playable on it. The winner is gonna be the Wii U. That's not me taking the piss on the Switch, that's just me recognizing what all I'd actually be able to play on the system I'd be stuck with for the rest of all eternity (noting that I would never be able to play any games that come out beyond this date). In time the Switch can absolutely become (and probably will) the better system in terms of the great games playable on it. But right now, Breath of the Wild alone doesn't make it the better system especially since its completely playable on the Wii U as well.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't bought a Switch yet (and won't for a while) but I may go ahead and buy some games for it over the next few months. From what I'm reading in here, even though it began development as a WiiU title, there seems to be a consensus that the BotW experience on the Switch is superior by far, yes? With Twilight Princess, another Zelda title that bridged two gens, I actually preferred the Gamecube version. But it looks like I should put my $$ into the Switch release of BotW. Anyone disagree?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: