Hardware The Switch is a much better home console than the WiiU was!

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 10,370
  • Replies 122
  • Likes 13
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I haven't bought a Switch yet (and won't for a while) but I may go ahead and buy some games for it over the next few months. From what I'm reading in here, even though it began development as a WiiU title, there seems to be a consensus that the BotW experience on the Switch is superior by far, yes? With Twilight Princess, another Zelda title that bridged two gens, I actually preferred the Gamecube version. But it looks like I should put my $$ into the Switch release of BotW. Anyone disagree?
The Switch version is definitely superior. I've just been playing Zelda on my Switch and I can never decide what to do, whether to do this or do that.. there's so much! xD

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Switch will need Third Party games but Its not a powerful console as PS4 and XONE

Nintendo has the chance to make a "PS4" on 2017 but Its always need to be "different"

Nintendo consoles are the sidekick of PS4/XONE/PC :S

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Switch will need Third Party games but Its not a powerful console as PS4 and XONE

Nintendo has the chance to make a "PS4" on 2017 but Its always need to be "different"

Nintendo consoles are the sidekick of PS4/XONE/PC :S
Switch is the perfect sidekick for PC, but there's a reason XB1/PS4 aren't. If Switch was just another stationary console like PS4, I wouldn't have been interested in it, either.

Calling XB1 and PS4 "powerful" is kind of a joke, but the fact remains that Switch is almost as powerful as XB1 in a much smaller form factor. That's a bigger accomplishment than anything MS/Sony have done recently. Inb4 they both make hybrid consoles of their own, just like they copied Wii with their own motion controls.

Last edited by Xzi,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The WiiU may have been a commercial failure but the community of enterprising coders around who have supported unlocking it's potential have turned it into an almost holy grail of Nintendo gaming.

Practically everything from the nes onwards is playable, when combined with a n3ds you have basically my entire childhoods' gaming available.

The switch has a long road ahead and I'm sure we're going to see some great things on it, but for me it will be a long time before it's an essential purchase, it will need some epic first parties like Xenoblade that you can't get anywhere else.

It will be longer still before it 'replaces' my U because it will need some serious homebrew and I'm not sure we will ever see WiiU levels of backwards compatibility again.

It also will be unlikely to compete with the big 2 for third party support so it's still relegated to a secondary console and set up for relative long-term failure, at present it's still a niche console, I struggle to see how it will break from that.

I'm sure in a few years I will pick one up, when there's some decent killer games and not just decent filler games, untill then it's simply one to keep an eye on while I continue to game on my U and big2.

Reactions: foob and lafleche

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is the perfect sidekick for PC, but there's a reason XB1/PS4 aren't. If Switch was just another stationary console like PS4, I wouldn't have been interested in it, either.

Calling XB1 and PS4 "powerful" is kind of a joke, but the fact remains that Switch is almost as powerful as XB1 in a much smaller form factor. That's a bigger accomplishment than anything MS/Sony have done recently. Inb4 they both make hybrid consoles of their own, just like they copied Wii with their own motion controls.
The PSP Go could be docked, had video out, and could connect to a PS3 controller. It can even play PSX games and actually output the correct 240p that those games played at. This isn't a new idea. What's there to copy?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The PSP Go could be docked, had video out, and could connect to a PS3 controller. It can even play PSX games and actually output the correct 240p that those games played at. This isn't a new idea. What's there to copy?
I mean, a smartphone covers everything you just said. Obviously what there is to copy is a well-designed system that actually has a decent amount of power. Even Vita's 540p wasn't really acceptable for console-level graphics. 720p/1080p is a must by now for this concept. Not 240p portable and 240p vid out.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, a smartphone covers everything you just said. Obviously what there is to copy is a well-designed system that actually has a decent amount of power. Even Vita's 540p wasn't really acceptable for console-level graphics. 720p/1080p is a must by now for this concept. Not 240p portable and 240p vid out.

PSP Go was released in 2009 when smartphones couldn't do this stuff. You misunderstood me. I'm not saying the PSP Go only did 240p, I'm saying that if you play a PSX game it will actually output the correct resolution for PSX games, 240p, which is very cool. When playing PSP games it would output 480p.

Vita and PSP Go were released a while ago, Switch was just released, of course it'll be more powerful. I'm just saying that this isn't a new idea at all. There is nothing to copy. That's fine, though. As long as it's implemented well, who cares?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Vita and PSP Go were released a while ago, Switch was just released, of course it'll be more powerful. I'm just saying that this isn't a new idea at all. There is nothing to copy. That's fine, though. As long as it's implemented well, who cares?
These were just portables, though. Their competition was DS/3DS. Having video out doesn't change that. The concept isn't the same as a fully hybrid console that contains more power than the portable mode is even capable of utilizing for the purposes of battery conservation.

Last edited by Xzi,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have as much free time to game as I would like these days, but have no doubt that I will continue to enjoy the Wii U for many years to come. Maybe I have bad taste or am just out of touch, but I love the Wii U.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These were just portables, though. Their competition was DS/3DS. Having video out doesn't change that. The concept isn't the same as a fully hybrid console that contains more power than the portable mode is even capable of utilizing for the purposes of battery conservation.
What does the competition have to do with anything? Look, all I'm saying is that this concept of a console you can play on your TV at home and take with you on the go has been done.

I'm not arguing about power or anything, just that it's not an original concept. You could literally plug the component cables into the PSP Go's dock. Imagine this: You come home, slide your PSP Go into the dock, turn on your TV, and grab a Dualshock 3 controller.

It's the exact same idea. Yeah, Switch is way more powerful, no argument there.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not arguing about power or anything, just that it's not an original concept.
It's an original concept specifically because of its power. I'd be willing to give PSP a lot more credit if it was nearly as strong as a PS3/XB360. Then it would've been a lot closer to a hybrid instead of just a portable. Same with Vita and XB1.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I don't have as much free time to game as I would like these days, but have no doubt that I will continue to enjoy the Wii U for many years to come. Maybe I have bad taste or am just out of touch, but I love the Wii U.

The Wii U is a great console, especially if you wish to play local multiplayer with 4 people.

Most people seem to hate the Wii U because it's different, that's actually the reason I like it so much.

The Switch, Xbox One and PS4 just don't offer a good local multiplayer gaming experience where 4 people can get round a TV and play split screen together. I'm sure The Switch might in the future, however as it stands at the moment the Wii U is certainly the best console for that, even more so when it can play all your old GameCube and Wii games, in addition to games like Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros U and Fast Racing Neo.

Reactions: Risingdawn
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I didnt had before the switch a wiiu. I was thinking about to buy one too to play ssb, mk8, pokken..
Nintendo got you covered then. And say, buy a WiiU specifically for Pokkén? That'd be some dedication for a R/P/S game. :P

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii U is a great console, especially if you wish to play local multiplayer with 4 people.

Most people seem to hate the Wii U because it's different, that's actually the reason I like it so much.

The Switch, Xbox One and PS4 just don't offer a good local multiplayer gaming experience where 4 people can get round a TV and play split screen together. I'm sure The Switch might in the future, however as it stands at the moment the Wii U is certainly the best console for that, even more so when it can play all your old GameCube and Wii games, in addition to games like Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros U and Fast Racing Neo.
I couldn't agree more with this, 4 player couch co-op has been all but forgotten these days, the WiiU allows me and my kids to all play some amazing games together that we can all enjoy, as well as some after pub fun with my mates with things like Mario kart and SSB and we can relive our past with things like Timesplitters 2 with nintendont.

It's going to be a long time before something replaces my WiiUs spot under my telly, if ever. Was it a commercial success, no obviously it wasn't but for an aging gamer with a family and boozy buddies it's the best console I have ever owned.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't agree more with this, 4 player couch co-op has been all but forgotten these days, the WiiU allows me and my kids to all play some amazing games together that we can all enjoy, as well as some after pub fun with my mates with things like Mario kart and SSB and we can relive our past with things like Timesplitters 2 with nintendont.

It's going to be a long time before something replaces my WiiUs spot under my telly, if ever. Was it a commercial success, no obviously it wasn't but for an aging gamer with a family and boozy buddies it's the best console I have ever owned.
This is exactly what Switch will be, but to a much wider audience. If you buy Switch and one pro controller, you've already got three controllers. If you buy Switch and one pair of joy cons, you've already got four controllers. For MK8 and stuff like that, Switch will be king of easy local multiplayer. You can even bring the multiplayer to your friends instead of the other way around.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP

The WiiU wasn't inherently a bad console (at least in hardware), it's a lot like a 360/PS3 system (except with an awfully slow and primitive OS) with some must play games that couldn't be played anywhere else but Nintendo (+ Ubisoft) have changed that. For what it's worth it's, if one can get a decent deal on a WiiU and its games then it's worth it and most of the games worth owning have been released on the Selects' edition range (I hate those covers!).

With the Switch, I don't have to use the Joy-Cons to access the Settings or play a specific game section as the Pro Controller (feels very much like an Xbox One controller and that's such a great feeling) can do it. :)

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an original concept specifically because of its power. I'd be willing to give PSP a lot more credit if it was nearly as strong as a PS3/XB360. Then it would've been a lot closer to a hybrid instead of just a portable. Same with Vita and XB1.
Sorry, but adding more power to something that's already been done is not original. That's literally what Sony and Microsoft do each generation with home consoles.

PS4 pro is out and XBOX Scorpio is just around the corner. Please don't tell me you believe the Switch is close to as powerful as them. The Switch is just new. The original XBOX One was released in late 2013. This is why the Switch can approach it while still being portable. It has newer tech.

If it had been released around the same time, then I would understand your point. I still wouldn't agree that it's a fresh idea just because it's approaching home console power. It would just show how far tech has come.

Vita has no video out and can't be connected to a controller so idk why that was even brought up.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,
Reactions: DrkBeam

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
PS4 pro is out and XBOX Scorpio is just around the corner. Please don't tell me you believe the Switch is close to as powerful as them.
Well of course not, but now XB1/PS4 feel unnecessarily large by comparison to Switch, so it's almost a requirement that MS/Sony make more powerful revisions. The thing is, Pro/Scorpio have terrible design. They'd be best for 1440p output, but they don't output 1440p simply because they only take televisions into consideration. So we end up with pseudo-4K @ 30 FPS for like double the price of Switch. XB1 and PS4 will be around just as long as Pro/Scorpio are, and a lot of people won't bother upgrading.

People who want a $600+ powerhouse of a gaming console actually just want a gaming PC. They just haven't realized it yet.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr