Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Where, the [email protected] one?

I really wish there was no need for emuNAND anymore. It takes up around 2.1 GB on the SD card, space that would be best used for updates and DLC.

both, Gateway 3.7.1 and 4.0.0a, work fine with an updated 11.0.0 Sysnand. I just dropped my emunand and gaine about 2Gb of space kn the SD card.

by default, Gateway will try to launch an existing emunand, there are three ways to boot gateway into sysnand mode:

1: remove your emunand entirely. The Gateway launcher.dat will not have any choice but to boot into sysnand.

2: boot into gateway mode without the red card inserted. you will see the gateway menu saying "Boot Gateway mode". preess 'B' and keep it pressed, it'll switch to "Boot Gateway Sysnand Mode". Now, while keeping B pressed, somply press A. it'll boot nto sysnand mode.

3: boot into gateway mode with the red card inserted but the L button pressed. you will, again, end up in the gateway menu and be able to launch Gateway Sysnand mode as per the instructions in method 2.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Maybe placing it in a folder would help. I seem to recall that when I had it on my EmuNAND, it only acted up when I opened my "System" folder.
I replaced it with the decrypted version from the same thread on that ISO site, and that solved my Luma issue :)
The decrypted version also has a better banner than the old one I've been using.
Pro tip: Instead of loading Luma directly, load bootanim9 instead. You'll have plenty of time to switch button presses while the animation is playing. There are some super cool animations made already. The only drawback is that you need to hex edit or use the path changer on Luma's arm9loaderhax bin for it to work properly with GBA VC, DSiware, and such. Not too difficult though.
I could do that but I don't want to increase the boot time. Anyway, having CtrBootManager9 set to X+Y is better. Less button combos to deal with.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced it with the decrypted version from the same thread on that ISO site, and that solved my Luma issue :)
The decrypted version also has a better banner than the old one I've been using.

I could do that but I don't want to increase the boot time. Anyway, having CtrBootManager9 set to X+Y is better. Less button combos to deal with.

Ah, good to know. I'll have to look up that thread again. Actually, in regard to that thing urherenow mentioned, I'm thinking I can come up with a simpler trick than that -- copy of BootCTR9 hex edited to use "luma_config.ini" instead of "boot_config.ini" with just Luma as default in the .ini file, and a delay of 3000. I upload that with a pre-patched copy of Luma3DS.bin, and it should solve for everyone the primary problem of using "Launcher.dat" as the primary payload. Should give just enough time to take your finger off the A9LH hotkey, and put it on a Luma chain loader one.

EDIT: Think I found it -- the "RepacksforCFW" one, right?

EDIT2: Looks like "boot_config.ini" is not in plain text within BootCTR9's arm9loaderhax.bin so, no modified version of the file. Oh well, not like anyone who favor's Luma's chain loader is going to use BootCTR9 for anything other than said delay anyway.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to @liomajor and everyone else involved for getting this to work on Samsung NANDs as well :) I stuck with the default button setup, so I can boot into GW while holding X+Y while starting my O3DS, while Luma CFW is my default boot choice, which also enables me to boot things like Decrypt9 with the Select button or Emunand9 with the Y button (of course you could boot any arm9 compatible payload this way if you rename them accordingly). This setup is great because it allows me to use my GW on any firmware version and I just find it much more convenient to put some roms in .3ds format on my SD Card then having to install titles directly to my system as .cia files. Then again, having Luma CFW is great for using all things homebrew and of course GBA and DSi Ware titles. I love my new best-of-both-worlds-setup. Now my 3DS really feels like a completely, customizable system^^

Reactions: satelman and 20mark

Asterik1904

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn that's a lot of posts since I last saw this thread. What's up with all the thank you posts? Did something badass just happen?

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to @liomajor and everyone else involved for getting this to work on Samsung NANDs as well :) I stuck with the default button setup, so I can boot into GW while holding X+Y while starting my O3DS, while Luma CFW is my default boot choice, which also enables me to boot things like Decrypt9 with the Select button or Emunand9 with the Y button (of course you could boot any arm9 compatible payload this way if you rename them accordingly). This setup is great because it allows me to use my GW on any firmware version and I just find it much more convenient to put some roms in .3ds format on my SD Card then having to install titles directly to my system as .cia files. Then again, having Luma CFW is great for using all things homebrew and of course GBA and DSi Ware titles. I love my new best-of-both-worlds-setup. Now my 3DS really feels like a completely, customizable system^^

I fully echo LinkFan comments, O3DS setup now nearing perfection. Starts BootAnim9 by default and Luma from there (via /arm9loaderhax.bin) or GW via XY.
My only wish left (to reach perfection) is the possibility to swap the defaults: start GW without any keys pressed and start Luma with XY.
I am not 100% clear reading this thread how to achieve that.

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Damn that's a lot of posts since I last saw this thread. What's up with all the thank you posts? Did something badass just happen?
liomajor have "ONLY" found a workaround for users that have already installed A9LH and posses a GW card and didn't like the gateway team 'politicy' and they 'soon' and 'wait' promises! eheh :)

Last edited by AlucardjX,
Reactions: Asterik1904

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
I fully echo LinkFan comments, O3DS setup now nearing perfection. Starts BootAnim9 by default and Luma from there (via /arm9loaderhax.bin) or GW via XY.
My only wish left (to reach perfection) is the possibility to swap the defaults: start GW without any keys pressed and start Luma with XY.
I am not 100% clear reading this thread how to achieve that.
Rename payload_stage2_2.bin > payload_stage2.bin / payload_stage2.bin > payload_stage2_2.bin

This would load gateway by default and cfw with X+Y

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rename payload_stage2_2.bin > payload_stage2.bin / payload_stage2.bin > payload_stage2_2.bin

Perfection !!! Thanks a lot (a bit annoyed with myself now not to be able to extract this myself from this thread)

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Welp, I've lost my backups of otp.bin (thought they were uploaded to google's drive and dropbox, but they didn't on both of them). It's safe to downgrade again to 2.1 with A9LH still installed or I should restore completely a 9.2 sysnand backup overwriting the A9LH?
It's a N3DS that had A9LH installed following Plailect's guide. Thanks in advance for any response.

StevenLexon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Welp, I've lost my backups of otp.bin (thought they were uploaded to google's drive and dropbox, but they didn't on both of them). It's safe to downgrade again to 2.1 with A9LH still installed or I should restore completely a 9.2 sysnand backup overwriting the A9LH?
It's a N3DS that had A9LH installed following Plailect's guide. Thanks in advance for any response.
if u have already installed A9LH,i don't think it's very necessary to use the otp.bin again. in my mind,just update the stage1 and 3 stage2s is ok. be sure to use the safea9installer provide by liomajor.

VeryCrushed

Devious Prorammer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm kinda tempted to just go grab a 128gb SD after work and go through Plialects guide and use my GW exclusively on a second system I have.

I havent touched my N3DS in a few months cause some PC game releases, I just don't know how I feel about GW right now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Honestly, I'm kinda tempted to just go grab a 128gb SD after work and go through Plialects guide and use my GW exclusively on a second system I have.

I havent touched my N3DS in a few months cause some PC game releases, I just don't know how I feel about GW right now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go with Plailect.

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can go with plailects guide at any time but let me tell you that a 128gb card is a waste of money/space and it slow down your system boot speed for sure,the best (for me)is having a GOOD'S 64gbx2; one for a9lh stuff and another for GW card .3ds ones!at end, make your choice wise! :)

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go with plailects guide at any time but let me tell you that a 128gb card is a waste of money/space and it slow down your system boot speed for sure,the best (for me)is having a GOOD'S 64gbx2; one for a9lh stuff and another for GW card .3ds ones!at end, make your choice wise! :)
I agree with this sentiment. I find it a lot easier to have one card dedicated to 3DS games that I'm either trying out or will only play through once. That leaves the internal card to be filled with homebrew, DLC, ROMs for emulators, and 3DS games that will see frequent play, like Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.

If I did this and also swapped out stage1 with the SELECT-START variant, then would this be the intended behavior:

Default: Boot GW
Hold Select: Boot CFW
Hold Start: Boot A9LH updater

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.