Hacking The state of microSD memory!

FifthE1ement

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems microSD has finally come to mature with almost all flash memory manufacturers having at least one or two models and sizes on the market. The biggest size is currently 2GB but I'm sure it’s only a matter of time until we see a 4GB model and possible higher. The fastest rated speed, I have seen, is 80X but you always have to check the access times which aren't always available. Currently the best names in memory are ATP, SanDisk, Transcend, and A-DATA. ATP has an 80X 1GB model which is super fast and should have great access times and performance. The SanDisk Ultra II is always a good solid choice and can usually be found cheap. Hopefully we’ll see faster 2GB models released soon since the fastest 2GB model currently comes from A-Data and from user data is rated at 60-80X.

microSD flash memory should range between $50-90 for name brand quality memory with good rated speeds and access times. Remember cheap memory usually corrupts easily, has slow access times, and can be problematic. If anyone has any memory questions please feel free to ask. I though it was a good time to bring up the state of memory for the upcoming round of flashcarts.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I bought my first SCLite, it was for my teenager's birthday and I bought a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II to go with it. It worked great, and with the most recent SC firmware/patcher update, its even better.

Funny thing is, the regular vanilla 1GB Sandisk I bought for myself 1 month later works just as well, in all comparisons we've run.

All I'm saying is, unless the Slot1 products coming out turn out to be very dependent on the microSD's transfer speed, I'd go with quality over a purported higher speed rating. Youre gonna be re-formatting that thing a lot, so better get one that you can rely on.

Now that I'm using Moonshell w/BatchDPG and have come to the realization that buying that $250 iPod I've been drooling over would practically be money down the drain, I'm thinking about getting a 2GB microSD. Then I'll have one for the SClite, and one for the ______(Slot1 cart) that I eventually buy.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, i've been quite interested in this topic recently.

I'm leaning towards the Sandisk UltraII 1GB, seeing as its a reputable brand (i believe) and i think i found a pretty good deal (for my area and in-store - so easy for me to get + no shipping) - $65 AU

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the difference between the Sandisk Ultra II Micro and a regular Sandisk Micro (other than speed)? I have a 1 GB regular Sandisk Micro and I notice no slowdown, but should I still trade ups for an Ultra II?

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Nov 13 2006, 04:46 AM)]Whats the difference between the Sandisk Ultra II Micro and a regular Sandisk Micro (other than speed)? I have a 1 GB regular Sandisk Micro and I notice no slowdown, but should I still trade ups for an Ultra II?

I've been thinking the same thing?
unsure.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Nov 12 2006, 01:16 PM)]Whats the difference between the Sandisk Ultra II Micro and a regular Sandisk Micro (other than speed)? I have a 1 GB regular Sandisk Micro and I notice no slowdown, but should I still trade ups for an Ultra II?

If it works just fine then y replace it??
lecture.gif

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have the vanilla sandisk micro in an EZ4-lite and have been so pleased with it's performance that I never bothered "upgrading" to the ultra II.

When I first got it (years ago?) I was planning to buy a Sandisk Ultra II and do some speed comparisons, but the need never really arose.

I have been waiting for the larger capacity cards tho! What happened to all the 2GB cards?

grog.gif

xxmadxx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vanilla sandisk micro sd here works A++++ but only after formatted properly (m3wiki) after that no slowdowns ever castlevania video runs pretty much perfect etc.etc.etc. .

ewi770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What about Kingston 512 MicroSD?

I bought one of these, and it crashed after only two days. Returned it to the store for a Sandisk instead, which still works like a charm after several months.

Hear Hear, I wouldn't go with Kingston either personally. I bought PC Kingston ram that had it crash within a few days and a whole run-around with futureshop. End result, I don't trust futureshop's 'warranties' and haven't had great experience with Kingston either
smile.gif

I'm going to go SanDisk since I need to purchase a MicroSD card. The Ultra II and regular both sound nice from this read. I'm gonna aim for ultraII depending on the price difference.

Ryf

Trophies
XP
Country
When people are talking about slowdowns, how bad are they? Does it ruin game experience, barely noticing or varies?

And how about getting one fast memory card for games and one regular, bigger card for music, movies, data etc.? I'm referring to microSD cards.

luck11

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone try the new Sandisk Ultra II 2 G sd micro? I heard they are being sold by Verizon, and I've seen them on ebay. Wasn't sure if it was a scam, so called Sandisk. Initially the rep told me that they did not make it and they would investigate ebay items (I gave her item # and she actually looked at the ebay auction online while I was on phone). Then a few minutes later senior person corrected her and she told me that they do infact make the 2 G ultra micro sd. She could not confirm that ebay item was ligit, but she said it looks ligit.

She told me that Ultra II reads at 9 and writes at 10 (or visa versa) whereas the standard reads and writes at max of 3 gb/second. Not sure if this was accurate though.

Anybody test the diff in speeds between ultra and non-ultra? I'm looking for a 2Gb but not sure if it is nec to spend extra $$ for ultra.

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've noticed that for a few flash carts, formatting in FAT16 is best since there's better performance.

On my fake Sandisk, real Kingston, both formatted in FAT16, there were no slowdowns on the M3 Lite, and Supercard Lite. There were a few in the EZ4 although the EZ4 itself is the bottleneck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work