Feedback The reason why the eShop doesn't work on some 3DS after Region Change

NintendoMan100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even with Big N closing the 3DS eShop by March next year, I want to put the information out there just in case someone needs it.

I bought a band new Japanese 2DS LL witch come with Minecraft pre-installed, first thing I did out of the box is install Luma3DS using the safe mode method to make sure to not have to open the eShop, I also did not try to update games of anything.

Then I did the Region change right away.
During the Region change process I notice there was tickets for Minecraft and the Badge Arcade Cane game witch were pre-installed, then once the process completed, I pop a Pokémon game in there and press "Y" try to update it, it failed with 009-1003 saying that my eShop doesn't match the system region.

So basically that mean any 3DS/2DS that comes with a pre-installed game, has its eShop region lock from factory because of that said pre-installed game(s) witch is also tie to the serial number of the console that let you (normally) re-install the game after formatting.

From my research over the internet and my own testing, there's realistically only "one way" to get rid of that eShop region lock and it's by registering a NNID of the original region with the console, then doing a system transfer to another console, witch remove the ties of the pre-installed game (and the region it came from) from the console, leaving it basically empty from any specific eShop region until it's open for the first time after you perform a Region Change.

TL;DR: If you plan to buy a brand new Japanese 3DS/2DS with the intention to Region Change it and still have access to the eShop (before Big N kill it completely), avoid those that comes with pre-installed games.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.. any 3DS/2DS that comes with a pre-installed game, has its eShop region lock from factory because of that said pre-installed game(s) witch is also tie to the serial number of the console that let you (normally) re-install the game after formatting.

You got any actual proof that this "eShop region lock from factory because of that said pre-installed game(s) witch is also tie to the serial number of the console" exists?

Because this just sounds like a load of speculation to me.

Costapk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got any actual proof that this "eShop region lock from factory because of that said pre-installed game(s) witch is also tie to the serial number of the console" exists?

Because this just sounds like a load of speculation to me.
This is right, consoles with preloaded games/software have those preloaded items linked with the eShop for redownloading. Since the preloaded games are on the console and not with a download code/physical copy, the 3DS/2DS is still locked via the eShop with the "Purchase" (Being the preloaded game) and the servers already being registered with that console having that game pre-loaded/purchased, making that console eShop locked.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, realistically we shouldn't be using the eShop anyway if we have a hacked O3DS/N3DS system in the first place, as certain websites (who we cannot mention in public conversation here, snitches get stitches after all) have the entirety of the eShop backed up and available for alternative usage and 'sideloading'. But this *is* fair to understand if you buy a system with a preinstalled game.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, realistically we shouldn't be using the eShop anyway if we have a hacked O3DS/N3DS system in the first place, as certain websites (who we cannot mention in public conversation here, snitches get stitches after all) have the entirety of the eShop backed up and available for alternative usage and 'sideloading'. But this *is* fair to understand if you buy a system with a preinstalled game.
ive never seen any reason why eshop cannot be used with a hacked 3ds console. Theres never been problems with it.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Such places are good to list (in private...) in case the ones you're used to get shut down. Like that ISO site was.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I feel like you wanted to make it something else but didn't want sickly slapping you +1