Gaming The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." mean anything to you? Seriously, why mess with a successful franchise if it's doing well. You may end up alienating your fanbase by fixing a system that already works. Yeah it is the same, but honestly you could say the same thing about any franchise. Final Fantasy has the same basic principals, Mario, Zelda, Harvest Moon, ect all run along the same lines. You're basically saying that all these franchises are trash because they don't change enough. If you don't like it, don't play them, but there is no need to troll or flame others for the things they like. Sometimes the simplest games are the most fun games.

Porygonal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF has gone to free movement,but atleast pokemon added team battles,and if you wanna talk TRUELY repetitive,play any Dynasty Warriors game,cuz they're all pretty much just clones of each other so I can be a little more humble about Pokemon after playing truely repetitive games like DW(though it can still be fun).

Redwolfeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's not forget the non-RPG games of Pokémon too.

Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium 1, 2 & Battle Revolution
Pokémon Dash
*10 minute thinking...*
Pokémon Link
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (Still RPG but completely different gameplay)
Pokémon Ranger
Pokémon Box
Hey You Pikachu

And, a majority of them are on the DS.

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Prect said:
Let's not forget the non-RPG games of Pokémon too.

Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium 1, 2 & Battle Revolution
Pokémon Dash
*10 minute thinking...*
Pokémon Link
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (Still RPG but completely different gameplay)
Pokémon Ranger
Pokémon Box
Hey You Pikachu

And, a majority of them are on the DS.
You noob!
wink.gif

You missed everyones favourite pokemon pinball hybrid, pokemon pinball (gba)!
Sheesh!
wink.gif

-Mew-

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Aeladya said:
Does the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." mean anything to you? Seriously, why mess with a successful franchise if it's doing well. You may end up alienating your fanbase by fixing a system that already works. Yeah it is the same, but honestly you could say the same thing about any franchise. Final Fantasy has the same basic principals, Mario, Zelda, Harvest Moon, ect all run along the same lines. You're basically saying that all these franchises are trash because they don't change enough. If you don't like it, don't play them, but there is no need to troll or flame others for the things they like. Sometimes the simplest games are the most fun games.

He does have a point and a lot of leading people and critics are talking about this, notice all the things you just mentioned are indeed japnese, and the japanese game industry is in a serious crisis... When was the last time you saw anything "new" out of japan (Please don't mention westernised adaptations like quantum theory etc... thats not new it's just Gears of War meets animu). For the last 10 years it's been a remake of a remake, Pokemon has evolved form a Charmander into a Charizard but it's still a "fire pokemon" it's just stronger, it's the same stale mechanics, I mean I'm a fan of the pokemon series but even (mind you I play games in my free time all the time)I couldn't play them all because it gets boring, I played platinum for like 2~3 hours. It's the same thing as well the other games... the first pokemon was revolutionary, but with each sequel it's getting more and more stale, we still have only 4 slots for skills... we still have only have a maximum of 3 evolutions, we're still getting the same battle screen for 10 years... sure dual fights made an attempt of doing something but nothing really innovative and fun. If I played through all the pokemon games I'd be bored out of my mind with the new ones.

So he does have a certain point in that we can see the japanese industry just doing what the american film industry or sports games are doing for the past few years, trying to make as much money as possible with the same stuff they made 10 years ago or more.

So yeah he does have a point about indie games and people that actually do stuff, we need more games that do something new and become new IPs.

You shouldn't take him as a flame or troll, take it as a critic that wants some inovation to the standard formula, a man who wants fusion power instead of nuclear that old, dirty and radioactive (inb4 people use this quote to say that I'm implying you that your pokemans are dirty filth).

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
-Mew- said:
You shouldn't take him as a flame or troll, take it as a critic that wants some inovation to the standard formula, a man who wants fusion power instead of nuclear that old, dirty and radioactive (inb4 people use this quote to say that I'm implying you that your pokemans are dirty filth).
Omg, you called pokemon old.

In all seriousness, pokemon is a working formula, it draws a lot of power out of nostalga from back when it WAS sort of new and of course little kids.

Some people from the pokemon generation as I call it will have kids by now and guess what they will be raised with? pokemon.

Donixs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through.
HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA
AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH
AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
AHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH
HHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
AHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

You best be joking.

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You think there's no innovation on the iPhone ?
What about games like auditorium? Zen bound? Cogs? Acrobots?
Auditorium and zen bound are both amazing and completly fresh, cogs is a very nice graphical represntaion and iteration of a physics based puzzle game (not new in itself but at least with novel design). acrobots is a prime example of the small scale cheap experimentation that the app store and dev kit allow for.

grimtooth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CC/C.Geass said:
You think there's no innovation on the iPhone ?
What about games like auditorium? Zen bound? Cogs? Acrobots?
Auditorium and zen bound are both amazing and completly fresh, cogs is a very nice graphical represntaion and iteration of a physics based puzzle game (not new in itself but at least with novel design). acrobots is a prime example of the small scale cheap experimentation that the app store and dev kit allow for.
Auditorium: way too easy, you play through the 20 level in one day. it's hardly even a game. (it also reminds me too much of enigmo.)
Zen Bound: are you kidding me? you wrap a piece of rope around objects, it's also not really a game.
Cogs: another sliding tiles game on the iphone (woohoo.....). nothing fresh or new about this game.
Acrobots: again it's more of an app than a game...you should really stop comparing casual crap to actual games.

i agree with you on one thing, the rpg part of the pokemon games is boring and too easy, that's why the last pokemon game i played through was pokemon blue.
there are plenty of hardcore rpgs on the ds. (if thats what you're looking for.)
the franchise attracts young and old people, there is nothing "nostalgic" about playing pokemon.

to me it seems that you're either a iphone fanboy or working for apple. :-P

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

Translation: I ONLY PLAY MATURE GAMES FOR MATURE GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF.

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
grimtooth said:
Auditorium: way too easy, you play through the 20 level in one day. it's hardly even a game. (it also reminds me too much of enigmo.)
Zen Bound: are you kidding me? you wrap a piece of rope around objects, it's also not really a game.
Cogs: another sliding tiles game on the iphone (woohoo.....). nothing fresh or new about this game.
Acrobots: again it's more of an app than a game...you should really stop comparing casual crap to actual games.

i agree with you on one thing, the rpg part of the pokemon games is boring and too easy, that's why the last pokemon game i played through was pokemon blue.
there are plenty of hardcore rpgs on the ds. (if thats what you're looking for.)
the franchise attracts young and old people, there is nothing "nostalgic" about playing pokemon.

to me it seems that you're either a iphone fanboy or working for apple. :-P

My point with my post was that there certainly is inventivness on the iPhone, not that the iPhone is a fully fledged gaming platform or that these nessarily rival the NDS games on scale. Auditorium is indeed easy but I don't care it is a great experiment and it is great to see a company like EA release a game that is not in their usual vein of franchises. Zen bound is highly origional it is a concept design to do with atmosphere and 3D non linear puzzles, I doesn't have to be a 20hr game. Cogs was a refremces to the visuals and design, yeah sliding not a new mechanic why's your point? Acrobots maybe is more of an app than a game, but what about the game it spawned: levers muchh of the physics experiment and the visual style from acrobots went towards levers. I wasn't sayin that the iPhone produces anything like full fledged RPGs etc. In fact when they attempt to it is normally a complete mess because desingers try to crowbar in the standard mechanics, the failure of being able to implement these mechanics on an iPhone drives the need for experimentation.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the iphone really isn't a games console...there are very few games on it that are decent. they have tried to hard with most of them to to make games capable of competeing with hardware DESIGNED for gaming.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the original poster is entitled to his own opinion and i agree with him, the pokemon franchise is a tired old donkey format, nintendo have been milking it for far too long there is nothing new to the series and it's the same formula for each game, my first favroite pokemon games was blue, gold and ruby loving the remake but i don't think i will spend so much dedication towards it as i just can't be bothered.

from the first game (blue) i knew every pokemon there is by heart, now because there is so many releases and so many pokemon i don't seem to care anymore
frown.gif

Sesshoumaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know exactly how long Pokemon exists up untill now. But I do know that Pokemon managed to get me interested more then any other game has ever done. Ofcourse the retarded remakes, such as digimon, are almost the same with a few changes here and there. Atleast I think the start of all those digimon crap and such was Pokemon. It's the origin of these kind of games (atleast for me).

QUOTE said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.
Okay that's your opinion. It may be simple but it takes you on an adventure which basically never ends. The gameplay is fun and it never seems to bore me. It's fun to create teams, get special shiny pokemon and so on. It's like you're never done.

Conclusion: Pokemon isn't overrated it's rated so high because it should be, its awesome gameplay and updates during the years are incredible. The Pokemon may be a little weird but whatever it's fun to 'catch them all' again.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While I agree that there is such thing as milking a franchise too long, there's a certain amount of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality among both the companies and the people playing the games. Every gamer will point at a game like...say Twewy, for instance, and say "look how successful this was because they took a chance on something new instead of remaking or rehashing an old series, why can't more companies do that?" and yet these same people will be the first to berate the same company for taking a chance on something not guaranteed to be a success and having it turn out to suck royally. In the companies position, which would you do?

If you've ever REALLY played a Pokemon game, you wouldn't call it "simple". What it is is all ages friendly. The battle mechanics are deceptively simple and while yes, there are a crapload of Pokemon games, each release adds and changes things and so far it's still doing things right unlike some sequels that destroy the original game entirely.

As for nostalgia, yes, it is there, but the game must still be doing something right because this generation is as much "pokemaniacs" as those who played it the first time round. My 6 year old sister enjoys all those "old overrated series" you mentioned. She plays Legend of Zelda and Mario and Sonic. She was waiting with bated breath for Heart Gold and she's been playing it non stop incredibly happily. She's certainly not playing for "nostalgia".

I think you need to get off your high horse and chill. You're bashing a game based purely on the fact that YOU think its not all that good, therefore everyone who likes it must have no taste in games and be mindless fanboy morons. Get a grip. Pokemon is not gonna "kill" handheld gaming.

Also:
Blaze163 said:
Can someone give me the tl;dr version? I was too busy playing Soul Silver to pay attention.
+5 win
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)