The Pokemon Global Link service will be ending in February 2020

normal_New-Poke_CC_81mon-Global-Link-Service-Planned-for-Sun-amp-Moon.jpg

For over nine years, Pokemon players have been able to use the Pokemon Global Link online feature throughout multiple generations of Pokemon games, beginning with Pokemon Black and White, and being used most recently in Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Introduced in 2010, the Global Link was used as a way for players to catch unique Pokemon in the Dream World browser game, which would have unique Dream Abilities that were not obtainable otherwise. Afterwards, it was used to help facilitate online connections in the 3DS generations of Pokemon titles, for functions such as Rating Battles, Global Missions, and Live Competitions. As Pokemon Sword and Shield use a different way of connecting online players together, the Global Link service will be shut down on February 24, 2020. Once the service shuts down, those aforementioned features will no longer be usable in Pokemon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, or Ultra Moon.

As a farewell present to the Global Link, players will be able to claim a special Munna belonging to Fennel, the character who used to be the tutorial guide for the Dream World and original implementation of the Global Link. The Pokemon comes in a special Dream Ball, and has its hidden ability. You'll be able to receive the Pokemon from now until the Global Link closure, in Pokemon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon.

:arrow: Source

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean the GTS will be gone too? I remember trading a Slowpoke for a Mewtwo on this thing

The Global Trading Station will still function, but you probably won't get that trading log the GL provided.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew it and that is why I am so against online. I am staying offline and complete my own game and story. More comfortable and less headache. Online won't stay forever on any consoles. That's why it won't be permanent anyway. Its a waste of time!

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, thinking about this a little more, this is a pretty easy way of forcing Pokemon players into paying for a Nintendo Online subscription if they still want to play Pokemon online.

Also, I'm sure that with Sword & Shield they'll have implemented better ways of checking against pokemon that have been generated or imported in by programs like PKHeX. Disabling online for the older games could be one step towards effectively eliminating hacked pokemon from online play.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, thinking about this a little more, this is a pretty easy way of forcing Pokemon players into paying for a Nintendo Online subscription if they still want to play Pokemon online.

Also, I'm sure that with Sword & Shield they'll have implemented better ways of checking against pokemon that have been generated or imported in by programs like PKHeX. Disabling online for the older games could be one step towards effectively eliminating hacked pokemon from online play.
Yeah they don’t have anything in place to detect genned Pokémon. I hate breeding for the stats I want, so I trade, edit, and trade back to my legit system. Not one thing has happened yet. And I play online a lot in shield

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

This isn't anything new. When a new gen releases, they remove support for the previous gen.

D

Deleted-236924

Global Link is only a small fraction of the game's online functions. You didn't need it for online trades and battles.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Anyone got a step by step guide on how to get that stupid egg? Do I need to register on a website or something?

Edit: I registed and synced my game, still not getting any egg.

[Receive your present by entering this special code in your game.

The special code will display only when you are logged in with a qualifying game.]

Why can't I see the damm code?

Last edited by raxadian,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1