Homebrew The newest update could be bad news for some

MiiJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Apparently, this update will allow Nintendo to easily detect pirate accesses on your 3ds, which can lead to your device getting banned.
:arrow:Source :

Last edited by Quantumcat,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS is near its EOL, why do Nintendo care so much? I mean, it’s not like we don’t have ways to unban the 3DS, unless they ban the systems “cert” like on the switch

Reactions: Kvnrdrguez

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The 3DS is near its EOL, why do Nintendo care so much? I mean, it’s not like we don’t have ways to unban the 3DS, unless they ban the systems “cert” like on the switch
It's probably more expensive than you think for Nintendo to fund all those pirate downloads from their servers.
I also believe Nintendo wants to keep the 3ds alive in some form until its proper successor is out so that market can transfer over to the new platform.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Seems interesting, but I got a few questions for anyone that can answer me regarding it...
- Are all games not aquired legitimately through the eshop affected or simply only the ones from your region? (most of mine are Japanese and don't want to lose them)
- Are you affected by this only if you update to 11.8? I'm still on 11.7 because 11.8 broke compatibility with Luma, so if the sending of information to verify tickets is from the 11.8 along with server side, it would be safer to stay on 11.7 despite the update nag...
- Would turning your illegitimately owned games into seeming like legit through turning your account into a classic-style one (meaning games linked to system, not NNID) work to bypass this?
- Will using FreeShop on 11.7 still work properly?
Those are all for now, got some others, but I can find the answer easily on the wiki, so no need to post here. For now people should just backup their private LFCS_B if they are using one and only use public ones for a while in anticipation of a final banwave for the 3DS...

Last edited by ThoD,

Bondgirl85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear Nintendo is suing companies for their emulators so apparently they still care about their old games. They are still releasing them is why for their virtual consoles and they want to make their money so all this 3DS stuff makes sense. Someday they might re release their 3DS games for their future consoles like for the Swtich for example.

Question, does Nintendo still make their money if their games are resold like at gamestop or any other gaming stores. People trade their games in all the time.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hear Nintendo is suing companies for their emulators so apparently they still care about their old games. They are still releasing them is why for their virtual consoles and they want to make their money so all this 3DS stuff makes sense. Someday they might re release their 3DS games for their future consoles like for the Swtich for example.

Question, does Nintendo still make their money if their games are resold like at gamestop or any other gaming stores. People trade their games in all the time.
They don't get a penny from used games (unless perhaps they have a contract with Nintendo.) Years ago, EA tried to recoup on some used sales by selling "activation" of games for online, but it was unpopular https://www.slashgear.com/ea-dumps-online-pass-system-for-used-games-after-player-vitriol-31284366/

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Seems interesting, but I got a few questions for anyone that can answer me regarding it...
- Are all games not aquired legitimately through the eshop affected or simply only the ones from your region? (most of mine are Japanese and don't want to lose them)
- Are you affected by this only if you update to 11.8? I'm still on 11.7 because 11.8 broke compatibility with Luma, so if the sending of information to verify tickets is from the 11.8 along with server side, it would be safer to stay on 11.7 despite the update nag...
- Would turning your illegitimately owned games into seeming like legit through turning your account into a classic-style one (meaning games linked to system, not NNID) work to bypass this?
- Will using FreeShop on 11.7 still work properly?
Those are all for now, got some others, but I can find the answer easily on the wiki, so no need to post here. For now people should just backup their private LFCS_B if they are using one and only use public ones for a while in anticipation of a final banwave for the 3DS...
1.-Only .tik and freeShop from any region
2.-Yes, the update is serverside, 11.8 has the check and 11.7 doesn't and also can't access eshop, so Nintendo will know that if you connect without that check, you hacked your console
3.-The detect is only downloading
4.-Yes but with a BIG ban risk, not just for 11.7, for all versions(Included 11.8 of course)

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
1.-Only .tik and freeShop from any region
2.-Yes, the update is serverside, 11.8 has the check and 11.7 doesn't and also can't access eshop, so Nintendo will know that if you connect without that check, you hacked your console
3.-The detect is only downloading
4.-Yes but with a BIG ban risk, not just for 11.7, for all versions(Included 11.8 of course)
What do you mean the detect is only downloading? I meant unlinking your NNID using GM9, then linking a new one, effectively making any games you have installed appear as legitimately owned... Thanks for the replies by the way. I'll stay on 11.7 for now, just use FreeShop/CIAngel very rarely and stay on public seed I guess...

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Would recommend that people who updated thinking that it was safe ( including me) disable network communications until some sort of patch is released.

Also keep in mind that a patch may not be feasible, since the checks are probably server-side, not client-side.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. My N3DS is on 11.7 and uses SysNAND. Been reading on here about 11.8 and that having piracy check and such. Should I be worried/concerned? All of my games now are in .cia format and I also use FBI, JKSM, Freeshop, etc. Also, can someone clarify if Freeshop is no longer "safe" to use? Thoughts and help appreciated :)

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. My N3DS is on 11.7 and uses SysNAND. Been reading on here about 11.8 and that having piracy check and such. Should I be worried/concerned? All of my games now are in .cia format and I also use FBI, JKSM, Freeshop, etc. Also, can someone clarify if Freeshop is no longer "safe" to use? Thoughts and help appreciated :)
It's not "safe" since they are illegitimately installed games.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, thanks for info. Here is another question: Anyone think that Nintendo is doing the checks on a 3DS that connects online, whether or not it is on FW 11.8?
Havent they already been doing this in way of preventing you online access unless you are on current version?

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Havent they already been doing this in way of preventing you online access unless you are on current version?
I don't know. I rarely play games online, let alone on 3DS. What I am concerned about is if the big N can detect people going on Freeshop, whether or not they download anything in a Freeshop use session.

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. What I am concerned about is if the big N can detect people going on Freeshop, whether or not they download anything in a Freeshop use session.
Only if you download and use games from it.

Reactions: emuashui

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
As others said, this ONLY affects CDN downloads. Installing CIAs through FBI is safe for example. It DOES NOT send all your installed tickets to Nintendo and it DOES NOT check if your title is legal at startup. It really only checks if you have a valid ticket for the SPECIFIC title you are trying to download.
(I also don't think Nintendo will use this for banning to be honest - I bet they just want to restrict CDN access. But checking the Console ID through the ticket is entirely possible.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system