The Net, Random thoughts and questions....

DrROBschiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so this day started with a particular website that i frequent to download illegally aquired anime. The site isn't important as there are tons of them. No, whats important is what happened to it. It was pretty much assaulted by another competing website.

I know this is nothing really important but what i found compelling was the reasoning of the people who did it. One of the reasons i am so drawn to many websites is the feeling of community and the huge collection of cool people to interact with. GBAtemp is definetely one of them.

With that in mind i want you guys to check out this discussion on the attacker's forum and share you reactions. Both sides bring up some really interesting points and honestly its hard to bring the words "right" or "wrong" into any of it. Not that it would matter. Here's the link

http://www.national-anime.com/forum/index....showtopic=38398

I found it rather disturbing, not because they attacked the site in question, but why they did it. I mean i know this kind of thing is nothing new. Hack/web/flame wars have been going on for so long now. I was just curious about what you guys have seen and what input or reactions you have.

This isn't just limited to my examples of course.

NOTE: Its mostly flame till like late page 2, Page 3 has the most interesting stuff...

DrROBschiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Lets say you robbed a bank. Needed to be taken seriously, so you needed a weapon too. And lets just assume you didn't kill anyone. Now you decided to drive back home, but oh, you needed to put up a few signs leading to your house first. Well now not only did you commit a serious crime, but you have even made the news. Police will be following those signs in no time. Oh, and you put a big flashy sign on your house saying you did it too. Seeing as you are living in England, the maximum sentance for that would be... oh look at that, life in jail.

Ok, now lets assume you're the owner of an anime site that generates a lot of money through it's premium service. Want to save some money on advertising and get rid of the competition, so you're just going to get a few sites hacked here and there, maybe redirect them straight to your site. Wow, you're in deep shit now. This will definately make the news. "Some random guy hacked a bunch of Anime pirating sites today. These sites are dedicated to pirating japanese anime illegally, and one of them got hacked!". Oh yeah, people are definately going to care. It's a serious threat when a few forum whores have no where to talk for a few days. Even worse when people with no lives whatsoever actually have to type a new address to get their 'fix' of anime for the day. Those poor bastards. The agony

This is one post that really stuck out and disturbed me..

nileyg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's really just kinda... FUCKED UP...
Yep thats exactly what that post is...
dry.gif

DrROBschiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean i have seen this stuff before but it was mostly just bullshit. These guys though... its like they made a business model out of it. Not to mention the irony of them profiteering off the same material as their competitors. Them again premium accounts for access to copywrighted material is gettin more commonplace nowadays. Isn't that even more illegal than offering it for free?

masvill20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That thread (the link) is honestly weirder than the 50-page now turned to a page of nothing but chitchat thread.
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Them again premium accounts for access to copywrighted material is gettin more commonplace nowadays. Isn't that even more illegal than offering it for free?
Yes, that's the kind of piracy companies are losing money on, and are trying to suppress. That's piracy for personal profit, and it's taking money from customers, while stealing content from companies. And it's a criminal activity, and it's as illegal as robbery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8