The Net, Random thoughts and questions....

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DrROBschiz, Apr 20, 2007.

Apr 20, 2007
  1. DrROBschiz
    OP

Newcomer DrROBschiz Member

United States
    ok so this day started with a particular website that i frequent to download illegally aquired anime. The site isn't important as there are tons of them. No, whats important is what happened to it. It was pretty much assaulted by another competing website.

I know this is nothing really important but what i found compelling was the reasoning of the people who did it. One of the reasons i am so drawn to many websites is the feeling of community and the huge collection of cool people to interact with. GBAtemp is definetely one of them.

With that in mind i want you guys to check out this discussion on the attacker's forum and share you reactions. Both sides bring up some really interesting points and honestly its hard to bring the words "right" or "wrong" into any of it. Not that it would matter. Here's the link

http://www.national-anime.com/forum/index....showtopic=38398

I found it rather disturbing, not because they attacked the site in question, but why they did it. I mean i know this kind of thing is nothing new. Hack/web/flame wars have been going on for so long now. I was just curious about what you guys have seen and what input or reactions you have.

This isn't just limited to my examples of course.

NOTE: Its mostly flame till like late page 2, Page 3 has the most interesting stuff...

2. nileyg

Member nileyg GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey, has anyone ever done some shit like that here?
    Has this site ever been hacked or anything?

3. DrROBschiz
    OP

United States
    This is one post that really stuck out and disturbed me..

4. nileyg

Member nileyg GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's really just kinda... FUCKED UP...
    Yep thats exactly what that post is...
    [​IMG]

5. DrROBschiz
    OP

United States
    i mean i have seen this stuff before but it was mostly just bullshit. These guys though... its like they made a business model out of it. Not to mention the irony of them profiteering off the same material as their competitors. Them again premium accounts for access to copywrighted material is gettin more commonplace nowadays. Isn't that even more illegal than offering it for free?

6. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    Gbatemp was hacked for like 1 minute once, but costello fixed it fast.

7. masvill20

Newcomer masvill20 Advanced Member

Philippines
    That thread (the link) is honestly weirder than the 50-page now turned to a page of nothing but chitchat thread. [​IMG]

8. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Yes, that's the kind of piracy companies are losing money on, and are trying to suppress. That's piracy for personal profit, and it's taking money from customers, while stealing content from companies. And it's a criminal activity, and it's as illegal as robbery.