The Humble Deep Silver Bundle

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I've done it all wrong. Bought many course books (around 30) all new, and I never re-sold any single one of them. I really do like to have my books, to be able to come back to them and read up on stuff. Maybe it depends on what kind of degree you have? I think mine's called MSE (Or M.Sc.Eng)? Books are a necessity for me, and my future work.

I am supposed to be an engineer as well -- I have my book on materials that covers the basics of everything in materials (struggles a bit when it comes to things like ternary phase diagrams), a mechanical engineering book (basically everything save perhaps some of the highest level statistics methods) and an electrical engineering book (does Quine–McCluskey but only just) and of course a book of steam tables, aside from a few new versions if I get the chance they are all the things introduced early on. After this it is a case by case basis (mainly as what cad program is the new hotness seems to be a bit fickle) until I bother to flesh out my "professional" books collection, seen as those cost a fortune though (usually about £200 a hit and there at least 30 of the things for materials alone) they largely appear on a case by case basis as well.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to buy it yesterday, but my paypal account was still empty from the steam sales. :P

And to buy it for like 0.3 euro is a bit too embarrasingly cheap for me (ey! It's for charity). I'll do it in a couple days.
You would only get the soundtracks for that amount since these games are steam only

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I should go ahead and mention here about Saints Row 2:

The PC version is considered essentially the worst PC port ever done. To start, it has speed issues related to OS for both Vista and 7 (it apparently just doesn't run on XP, not really a surprise). I guess the farther your processor speed is from 3.2GHz (the 360 processor speed), regardless of if it's higher or lower, the faster the game moves. There are tools to fix this, which I'll mention in a moment.

As well, the game crashes. A lot. I guess the auto-save absolutely can not be trusted, so even with fixes, you should save pretty much every time you do anything that you don't want to redo, such as completing a mission, buying goods, etc. That means saving in separate slots as well. You need a lot of saves to play the game start to finish. Patches or not, this always applies. Nothing short of recoding the game yourself to iron out the metric fuck ton of freezing and crashing bugs will make saving a non-issue.

I read something about the game managing to completely skip the step of prefetching as well, and although my technical expertise is fairly limited, from what I understand, it's pretty much a stupid miracle that the developer managed to keep the game from doing this. If this actually ends up being a problem for you, the simple solution is to delete the general prefetch file the computer has likely been keeping since you first launched an application on your computer (you can find the exact file path with a Google), restart your machine, and start up Saints Row 2 first. This seems to actually make the game prefetch, for whatever the reason might be. It's a pretty simple solution, and I guess it works for near everybody.

On top of all of this, even if you get the game running half decently, you will still run into a couple freezing issues after certain missions and cut scenes.

Lucky for everybody, modders have released a pretty comprehensive patch that both adds content and does bug fixes. The Gentleman of the Row mod, which you can find with a quick Google quite easily, is a patch that both fixes freezes, some crashing issues and the speed issues on Windows 7, as well as adding content that makes the game feel like a more complete and fun experience. I installed this mod and started up the game without the notorious first time launch crashing, and made it through part of the tutorial before giving up on my helplessly crappy laptop in regards to running the game on half decent settings smoothly. It should be noted that some slowdown may just occur because, well, the port is a really shitty port. There are a few fixes, which I'll leave more for the source of all of this info. By no means will the game ever be anywhere near a perfect experience, but this helps it to be somewhat passable for the $1 to $5 most of you spent.

To read more comprehensive info, get exact links, and learn what other things you may need to do to get the game running, check out this absolutely fantastic FAQ from the Steam community forums that I got all of this information from: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am supposed to be an engineer as well -- I have my book on materials that covers the basics of everything in materials (struggles a bit when it comes to things like ternary phase diagrams), a mechanical engineering book (basically everything save perhaps some of the highest level statistics methods) and an electrical engineering book (does Quine–McCluskey but only just) and of course a book of steam tables, aside from a few new versions if I get the chance they are all the things introduced early on. After this it is a case by case basis (mainly as what cad program is the new hotness seems to be a bit fickle) until I bother to flesh out my "professional" books collection, seen as those cost a fortune though (usually about £200 a hit and there at least 30 of the things for materials alone) they largely appear on a case by case basis as well.

Definitely! I usually have to pay $300+ a quarter on average for my statistics books (some books get reused in the 2nd part or 3rd part of the class). I look for the cheapest alternatives but when taking classes like advanced general non-linear modeling where the book is not a popular one (like most of my other graduate classes) it's hard to find ebook and hardcopy availability other than the bookstore (or amazon 75% of the price the bookstore sells them)

Either way, this made me say WTF that $5 would hinder being able to purchase books.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely! I usually have to pay $300+ a quarter on average for my statistics books (some books get reused in the 2nd part or 3rd part of the class). I look for the cheapest alternatives but when taking classes like advanced general non-linear modeling where the book is not a popular one (like most of my other graduate classes) it's hard to find ebook and hardcopy availability other than the bookstore (or amazon 75% of the price the bookstore sells them)

Either way, this made me say WTF that $5 would hinder being able to purchase books.

Postgrad is often a bit different and it sounds like you are going at least the part taught method, something I have no idea about how it plays out when it comes to taught stats in the US. Still nobody wandering over from India and such like in your classes? Page numbers might be a bit different but the content is there and the price is usually very agreeable.

On the other hand if libraries are bound to keep a copy of the recommended course book in stock it might be time to start kicking it old school again.

Reactions: Zetta_x

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Postgrad is often a bit different and it sounds like you are going at least the part taught method, something I have no idea about how it plays out when it comes to taught stats in the US. Still nobody wandering over from India and such like in your classes? Page numbers might be a bit different but the content is there and the price is usually very agreeable.

On the other hand if libraries are bound to keep a copy of the recommended course book in stock it might be time to start kicking it old school again.

Definitely! Actually I would say at least 70% of the students in the Statistics grad program are from foreign countries or not natively English speakers and the majority of the professors are the same way. Anyways, some classes you can get by without referencing a text book but one class I took with Time Series data you had to supplement the lectures with additional information to actually understand the class. We spent 2 lectures going through the theory behind the innovation/Durbin Levinson algorithm to find maximum likelihood estimates of an ARIMA model but we didn't actually go through an example. However, on the homework, we were required to build either an R/Excel/Matlab file that would compute the corresponding maximum likelihood estimations using the corresponding algorithm. The majority of the class was going over theory and what was expected was applications.

Some of our textbooks are available in the school libraries, but there are occasions where 2-3 books are recommended to supplement the lectures and maybe 1 is inside one of the libraries. I mean, postgrad stuff should be consisted of doing your own research. So if the exact book is not found, it probably would be easy to find a similar book.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Normally I would make an appropriate response but it is taking everything I have to stop myself from rocking in the corner in the midst of matlab flashbacks.

Staving that off for a moment though and it would vary with contact time but where I am all for own reading being a core component of such things I am not convinced straight up research in such a scenario is the way forward. Sample gathering sure, actual research projects but of course and why not in the case of pattern generation type arrangements (each student gets given a different set of seed values) but that seems a bit off. On the other hand a statistician that can not adapt is no good at all and if undegrad was as much of a memory test as it is elsewhere* so breaking people out of their comfortable routines

*others reading this very much applies to lower levels of stats. Also not wishing to say too many negative things there is a rather high incidence rate of memory test being the default form at a lot of universities out there in the world.

"2-3 books are recommended to supplement the lectures and maybe 1 is inside one of the libraries."
The model for me was
The core textbook, usually dozens in the libraries but everybody should have also had their own.
The supplement. Also fairly available and usually more of a general book or worked examples book.
The book the lecturer, a group they chair or possibly one of their PHD students wrote.

Have things changed?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sacred Citadel, Risen, and Metro 2033 are going to be added as bonus games for this bundle.
I just received a mail (I like to be informed of humble bundles)...and that is exactly so. Okay, you'll have to beat the average for 'em, but 5$ is still cheap. And charitable. :)

link to the updated offer...though it's actually the same as the one the OP links to now.

(and now for the main first world problem: when the hell am I going to play all those games? :P )

Soopy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just received a mail (I like to be informed of humble bundles)...and that is exactly so. Okay, you'll have to beat the average for 'em, but 5$ is still cheap. And charitable. :)

link to the updated offer...though it's actually the same as the one the OP links to now.

(and now for the main first world problem: when the hell am I going to play all those games? :P )

New donations will have to beat the average price for the bonus games, but if you already purchased the base bundle for 1 dollar or more then you'll get these bonus games even if you didn't beat the average price.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't even have a PC that can handle any of these games, but I'm tempted to grab this bundle...
I (probably) don't have one either. But steam isn't tied to the physical PC. I'm not yet sure how to do it exactly, but I'll buy a better PC somewhere later this year and then start playing the games that'll be crashing/slideshowing/... on this one. :)

Reactions: retKHAAAN

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I (probably) don't have one either. But steam isn't tied to the physical PC. I'm not yet sure how to do it exactly, but I'll buy a better PC somewhere later this year and then start playing the games that'll be crashing/slideshowing/... on this one. :)
I have probably around 35-40 games on Steam...but the only one the runs decently on my laptop is Torchlight... :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?