The future of technology?

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was kind of thinking about what the future holds in technology this morning, and it is kind of overwhelming. This is kind of a wild rant, but bear with me. Think about how we use our computers and external drives now. Memory is increasing rapidly, and physical size is getting smaller. Now what if external memory gets so efficient that some sort of external storage gets small enough to be implanted into our bodies in a chip. And what if memory increases to astronomical levels that are almost unimagineable. What if the user friendly efficiency of the software becomes so easy that anyone can use it to endless levels.

So, if we could carry around these chips with everything we ever wanted, games, tv shows, movies, encyclopedias, etc., we would have instant acess at anytime. Think about even having language translation software, maps, the sky is the limit. Now what if there was a way to interface with the chips efficiently at all times. There would almost be no need for our own memories. At least data would be covered, but we would only have to store feelings in our heads. Everything you have ever seen could be stored as well, so images could be replaced too. Instant all the time access to the internet? High quality audio and video storage of every moment you have lived?

With the above now think about what this would do to education. What would we go to school for if everything we need data wise is already there? Maybe just referrence classes, and physical hands on learning of what we do in normal life. School could possibly become obsolete except for how to use the technology available. Would history be necessary? English? Social studies? If you have all the info available to you from day one, what would be left to teach? Memorizing would not be necessary, just how to referrence quickly, and how to interperit data accurately. Would a PHD be a one year course?

Even everyday things may go away. The gameshow Jeopardy would become pointless. So would libraries. How about paper or even using your hands to write? What would it be like to never forget anything ever again? If every memory, place you have been to, or person you met, could be accessed at anytime, imagine what would change? Would talking with old friends about events of the past go away? If both of you can already see in perfect clarity what happened back in highschool etc., what would be the point in reflecting on it? Maybe just to express how the event made you feel personally?

Anyway, just one of those early morning daydreams over coffee I thought I would share.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Urza said:
What if we get hit by a meteor and die?

Wild speculation serves no purpose.

I have a plan for that.
You have a post-death plan?

You don't? Mine is to decay until the particles in my body float around to a new planet and helps form new life. Life is non-existant in non-scientific terms (ability to reproduce, etc.), and matter is immortal as far as we know.

Frost>>&gt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
luckwii said:
With the above now think about what this would do to education. What would we go to school for if everything we need data wise is already there? Maybe just referrence classes, and physical hands on learning of what we do in normal life. School could possibly become obsolete except for how to use the technology available. Would history be necessary? English? Social studies? If you have all the info available to you from day one, what would be left to teach? Memorizing would not be necessary, just how to referrence quickly, and how to interperit data accurately. Would a PHD be a one year course?

Well...not really. Education would still be needed, even if a chip had all the things we learn now in school on a chip we wouldn't know what's on it. I would give you an example but I can't think of anything at the moment

LeoSan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uruguay
We would be spied every single day of our lives
ohnoes.png
!!!

(that means no more flashcarts)

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I would both love and hate that kind of future.
The only reason i would hate it that if i ever was seen once. everyone could remember my face and i could never assassinate anymore :/

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel that in the future, we will have progressed immensely in technology, but still have the same problems we have now.

I read the article on the "Digital Dark Age". It's a fear I have often, but I never knew there was a term for it.

D

Deleted_171835

CrimzonEyed said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Don't be too happy. Technological singularity is near.
I don't actually agree with those ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

What would you do if an EMP wiped out every electronic device in your city?
All this turns it mush.
you know that there is protections against EMP?
tongue.gif
Most consumer electronics aren't EMP resistant. If you want to learn about EMP protection, read this link.
http://www.aussurvivalist.com/nuclear/empprotection.htm

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tech as we know it today, the sort of tech directly connected to computers and the ability to compute is limited in ways that will eventually reach a crisis point.

The materials are machines are made of, are limited by the substances they are made of. The true future of computers likely lies in going to organic systems.

Believe it or not, but a glass of water actually has barely imaginable sums of computing potential far beyond our silicon creations.

All of this may come to pass, if the randomness of fate and chance and luck doesn't crap on our parade.

Read up on magnetic storms and how our planet's magnetic shield regularly shifts if you want to lose some sleep.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It all depends on how you plug those chips you're talking about into your brain. How do you access stored data? How do you process new information? You might store what you see into the chip's memory, but unless the chip acts like a part of your brain and not just an inert, external memory storage, it will never be anything but a glorified PDA, only stuck in your brain and harder to upgrade. And if the chip acts and behaves like a part of your brain, you'll still have to learn things the old fashioned way. No getting around education, son
lecture.gif

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So hackers can reverse engineer software and hardware today that is specifically designed to prevent such attacks, but in the future our collective minds wont be able to figure out how a DVD worked?

That's like saying we've yet to solve the mystical sun dial.

Digital dark age my balls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1