Hacking The future of flash cards?

Balrogs.Pain

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, tonight, i'm eating some food, and i was at a DSI thread and they were talking about how nintendos ways of blocking piracy and all of such, have all failed. But now that flash cards are flat dead on the DSI (currently) What do you think will happen to them? Do you think that some how people will create a firm ware allowing them? Or do you think that a firmware will make them useless as the SD slot on the DSI will allow everything a cycloDS(Mabye?) Could do/
Or mabye, we'll all be sticking to lites for our piracy needs. State your thoughts!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biggest problem with DSi is that it can get firmware updates. Even if someone manages to figure out how to make it play ROMs, Ninty will just drop a firmware update and the ROMs stop working again.

I think the DSi will require a hardware mod or firmware hack to play ROMs. I think it will be more of a fight to keep ROMs running in it, if they ever do.

My plan is to pretend that the DSi never existed.

chaofan

Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
Biggest problem with DSi is that it can get firmware updates. Even if someone manages to figure out how to make it play ROMs, Ninty will just drop a firmware update and the ROMs stop working again.

But couldn't you just not download it, aka Wii? Perhaps Ninty can kill homebrews with firmware, but as usual hackers will always be on the move XD.

I'm not planning to get a DSi either. It's for those who've yet gotten into the phenomenon that is the DS.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
ROMs on DSi: An exploit might be found to bypass restrictions, if not, then either other flashcart developers will make their own compatible, or we will have a new firmware flash. If that becomes possible, not even Nintendo's firmware updates can stop the hack: people will develop an OS mimic that runs FROM the unpatched OS and that Nintendo WiFi detects as being an up-to-date firmware.

Flashcarts: Suppose one of the two above happens. Team Neoflash, who seem to take decisions like they're on crack, might bother developing a working flashcart for the DSi.

DSiWare: it is extremly possible to create an app that will mimic the DSi firmware and runs on any other flashcart. With that, one of the major DSi pros drops.

The DSi: Will suck so badly that it will result in a catastrophic system failiure killing everyone connected to the Matrix, which coupled with the destruction of Zion will result in the extinction of the entire human race.

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually think the DSi's SD card slot will become its greatest exploit.

We might not even need flash cards to begin with =D

however, the ability for the DSi to firmware upgrade like the Wii makes things a lot more difficult.
we should just be thankful that no hypervisor was installed like on the ps3 (still no stable hacks).

AlexElder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cepheus said:
I actually think the DSi's SD card slot will become its greatest exploit.

We might not even need flash cards to begin with =D

I fully agree with this. Those hackers are so smart these days it's basically asking to be exploited.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
daiyong said:
I just wonder if DSi is being hacked?

Oh c'mon, man. Every other topic posted this week has been about the DSi. There are dozens of people working on it as we speak.

First, I think we'll see hacks through the SD slot. Those will run into limitations, I suspect, so there will be a wave of DSi-specific flashcarts that come out. (Oh joy!)
The best current flashcart makers might be able to create a firmware update in a few months which makes that flashcart work on the DSi, but that will make that cart DSi specific, for a while.
About a year from now, we could have firmware which allows swapping of a cart from the DSL to the DSi without trouble, but I'm guessing that the files would be more massive than the Sakura triple boot.

Oh, and the world will end in seven days.

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think most people will stick witht the DS Lite. The DSi isn't much of an improvement, unless they release DSi only games.. Then I might have to get one.

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about beyond the DSi though, and onto Nintendo's next system entirely? Will it be DS compatable? Will it use cards, cartidages, disk even? Will that even be hackable? Are all things hackable or was it just a flaw in the DS exploited? Nobody knows.......

gekiwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ill use my pandora battery and MMS on my ds to play homebrew
laugh.gif

I also agree about the sd slot being a great exploit. If the cards don't work maybe the firmware will be flashed like a psp.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, we've seen a Hello World program already working on the DSi. Flashcart firmware could easily be updated to work on the DSi, and Custom Firmwares will be the way of the DSi Future. Flashcarts wont be needed w/ the built in SD slot. But flash carts will still be produced. The thing with CFW's is that there's always a chance of bricking. And that is what Nintendo is banking on. Piracy will shrink, but will still be readily available for DSi users, just as it is for PSP users. There will be a few options available when this beast hits the mass market.

Also, you can't say the DSi is a bullshit system. If its not for you, its not for you. Haven't we learned to trust Nintendo's choices when it comes to systems? I mean, yea, the 'cube was a lil bit of a flop, but both the DS and the Wii were bitched about before they came into their own, and now they are fucking killer systems (...not as a video game power house, but because of what can be done with them).

I'll be picking up a DSi when they come to the states. I really dig where Ninty's going with this. Also, i don't want to lose my GBA playing abilities, so i'm keeping my DS phat as well (and if i want to get rid of it, i'll get a GBA micro... at some point lol)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro