Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What do they mean runs in real time? I mean the cut scenes and in game have always been the same they are one of the few companies these days that doesn't go for a straight up cinematic cut scene.

That means it isn't a pre-rendered video, it's being processed in real time on the PS4's engine.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What do they mean runs in real time? I mean the cut scenes and in game have always been the same they are one of the few companies these days that doesn't go for a straight up cinematic cut scene.
Often times cutscenes are actually pre-rendered in-engine on a stronger platform - that way they don't stand out immediately but retain a higher level of detail than the actual game. Pay close attention and compare cutscene models and in-game models in for example The Last of Us and you'll see what I mean:
Cutscene Joel:
xmmP0Kl.png

In-game Joel:
3aokKMa.jpg

:arrow: Source
See what I mean? It's a subtle touch that makes the cutscenes look much more detailed without taking you out of the game. ;)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The graphics in the previous Unchartered games were always exagerated. ok they had a few little tricks to make it look decent, it was hardly ground-breaking as a lot of people claim. The gameplay though, ugh, absolute borefest. I really, really tried to like it. It was just far , far to linear.

Protip: linear is not a bad thing. Some games work well as a linear game. Stop using the term "linear" as a synonym for "bad". And the graphics are very good, not groundbreaking but Uncharted 3 is one of the best looking games on the PS3 at least, and I expect Uncharted 4 to be one of the best looking PS4 games for a long time.

That it's not pre-rendered, what you see is the game engine. Basically every part of the game will look as good as this.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's true that people began treating "linear" as synonymous with "bad" when it's really not the case. Unless your story revolves around being open-ended, making it non-linear essentially means that you're going to tell it poorly. Non-linearity works great when you're supposed to be the one "making" the story - when the story is made and the intention is to convey it, a linear model works far more efficiently as it tells the player everything the developers intended to tell or show without the risk of skipping anything important. Video games are the perfect medium for telling non-linear stories, but that doesn't mean that linear stories are bad all of a sudden they're just two different flavours of storytelling.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
For everyone that complains about linearity, let me give some examples of popular series that are very linear:
- Legend of Zelda (oh boy I can collect heart pieces - doesn't really change the linear play style)
- Call of Duty
- Pretty much every FPS (see: Halo, Killzone, etc.)
- Most JRPG's that make it so you can still only reach certain points at certain times for the entire game, generally only kind of ditching linearity at the end game, when there's next to nothing left to do anyways
- Pokemon (seriously, I mean, look at X and Y as the most recent example)
- Anything with level style gameplay (ie: stages that progress in a linear manner - some minor deviation does not count as breaking linearity when it still follows the same general path to the end goal)

And the list could go on. No system is free of its games possessing a linear play style, and you know what, none of them are bad games simply because they possess a linear play style.

As for Uncharted, I feel like the only people who QQ about it playing too much like a movie never actually played the series. Having played every Uncharted game made to date to completion, I can safely say that they possess decent difficulty, puzzles that may not be the most difficult but still can take some thinking, and some nice collectables that make it a good idea to explore the entire environment, not necessarily sticking to the beaten path. It is a solid series that in no way suffers from the linearity. For anyone that thinks the game isn't difficult enough, either you never got to the fire djinni near the end of Uncharted 3 (oh god I've never hated an enemy more), or you never tried the games on their highest difficulty, where a few stray bullets means you will die, without a doubt.

D

Dork

>Doesn't like linearity in games.
>Likes Final Fantasy XIII

Dark S. pls.
Yeah I don't get it either.

And the list could go on. No system is free of its games possessing a linear play style, and you know what, none of them are bad games simply because they possess a linear play style.

Linearity is just a very broad term anyway, and every game has their own level of "linearity". It's just best to describe with detail what makes a game fun or boring than use broad terms that can be interpreted in many different ways.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably mean Yoshi's Wooly World. That game... has its charm, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it "impressive". ;)

I thought the art style was quite impressive, but I am more impressed by actual artistry than simply cranking up the number of polygons, increasing the number of physics calculations, and implementing higher resolution textures.

I mentioned it because that, and Hyrule Warriors, were two of the only games I saw that looked like they were showing actual gameplay footage rather just a tech demo.

I wish more companies would show us actual gameplay footage.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I thought the art style was quite impressive, but I am more impressed by actual artistry than simply cranking up the number of polygons, increasing the number of physics calculations, and implementing higher resolution textures.

I mentioned it because that, and Hyrule Warriors, were two of the only games I saw that looked like they were showing actual gameplay footage rather just a tech demo.

I wish more companies would show us actual gameplay footage.
It's artistry of sorts, I suppose. I understand the sentiment as far as gameplay footage is concerned, however remember that trailers are supposed to dazzle - gameplay footage is available from pre-release reviews. A trailer is supposed to look "good" first and foremost, but I too like it when trailers also contain some gameplay.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Waiting for actual gameplay footage, rendering 1/10th of the things at face distance and in still shots/slow moving camera is nowhere near as demanding as what you usually see in the game.

Plus, ND has quite a history in pulling that sort of scammy shit with trailers. Brace for obvious disappointment.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plus, ND has quite a history in pulling that sort of scammy shit with trailers. Brace for obvious disappointment.

So, have you played The Last of Us or Uncharted?

I do like how once something impressive comes from Sony there's people going "b-but naught dog sucks!" or "i-it's a ruse!" Grow up kids, you're just mad that their IPs have been shitstomping Nintendo's dated ones for 15 years.

Reactions: GameWinner

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I do like how once something impressive comes from Sony there's people going "b-but naught dog sucks!" or "i-it's a ruse!" Grow up kids, you're just mad that their IPs have been shitstomping Nintendo's dated ones for 15 years.
I have, but I don't see how that has anything to do with scammy visuals in trailers. As that is information you can get from the internet pretty easily.
It seems like you've taken it upon yourself to quote every single criticism post about and reply with your fanboyism, while assuming others are nintendo fanboys, pretty ironically.

There are people out there who dislike ND. I know this might sound crazy for someone who dissects every single criticism post thinking he will change others' opinions. but it's true. There are also people out there who know ND have previously released scammy trailers not representative of the final game's graphics because that actually happened. Which is evidence that works really well in a thread about a new trailer from the same company.

Now all that's left for you to do is assume that Zelda/Pokemon/Mario are my favourite games and call it a day.

jmanup85

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I find it funny that you assume he's a die hard Nintendo fanboy and what-not. If someone doesn't like ND's games then they don't like them. Wait for him to at least prove you right with a fanboy-ish comment before you start spewing this non sense.

On topic though: It looks good, but it's just not enough to get me a ps4, actually as it stands no game is to me. That would've been MGS5 but it's coming to ps3 so I don't really see the point of upgrading.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, this thread.

I know, it's shocking, nobody shat themselves on stage this E3 (give or take an Aisha Tyler), but you don't have to compensate on their behalf.

ON TOPIC: Man, Nathan's got some purty hair.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why can't we all just ge along? ;O;

Uncharted 4 looks frigging amazing. If the engine can produce in real time what we saw in the trailer, I'm hitting a pre-order. I don't care shit what any other console could do, but so far the PS4 can clearly outweigh my WiiU in terms of graphics.

ps. Inb4 "I don't have WiiU" games. I have a LE MK8 bundle sitting next to my WiiU :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: $6 for 2 pounds though shits expensive