The E3 Uncharted 4 Trailer Runs in Real-Time

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto

During E3 Sony showcased a trailer for the upcoming new installment in the Uncharted series - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. Many viewers found it disappointing, as it appeared to be pre-rendered footage which naturally does not represent the game in any shape or form. Here's the scoop: according to Corrinne Yu, one of the game's developers... it's not.

When asked whether the footage was pre-rendered or running in-engine in real-time on Twitter, Corrinne responded:
    Well... If that's indeed the case, this is a prime example of what is yet to come from current generation systems.

Corrinne Yu is a former Halo 4 principal engine programmer, she joined Naughty Dog last year and is currently working on Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us for the PS4.

EDIT: Naughty Dog also confirms that the trailer is indeed in-engine and runs in real-time... in 1080p resolution at 60 FPS, which are their target resolution and framerate for the game. Their site offers a 1080p at 60FPS version of the trailer, so if you'd like to get as close as possible to how the game will look like, check it out.

:arrow: Source #1 (Twitter)
    :arrow: Source #2 (Twitter)
    :arrow: Source #3 (Twitter)
    :arrow: Source #4 (Twitter)
    :arrow: Source #5 (Naughty Dog)

2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    PS4 MASTER RACE FOREVER AND ALWAYS.

I don't really care either way though, it's fucking Uncharted and I will love it either way. I'd love to rest my head on Sully's nest of chest hairs.

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Uncharted was great on the PS3. Uncharted 2 was great on the PS3. Uncharted 3 wasn't as fun but was still a good time on the PS3. Uncharted: Golden Abyss was one hell of a good time on the Vita, shrinking Uncharted down to a portable size in a fun way.

With that said, Uncharted 4 is sure to be fun, and that's all that matters. I don't care if it's the prettiest game in town or not.

4. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If this is indeed true and those are the visuals the game will be boasting, I think it just goes to show what can be done on a standardized and optimized system with simplified API's, meaning "a console". You still hear people saying that current gen systems are not a significant improvement over last gen ones or that they're downright underpowered, mostly due to all the multiplatform releases that have to work on last gen systems so by extension they're tying the hands of the developers from the get-go. It would be great if we got to the point where this one game crosses the threshold between the old and the new and shows that it's about damn time to upgrade because happy days are comin'. :yayps3:

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    When did Laura Croft get a sex change? hehehehe

6. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    YAWN!

Uncharted is just another bang bang shooter with bells on and graphics mean nothing. Nathan Drake will never be as innovative as Mario and Link and I prefer to play my games not watch movies kay thanks.

finkmac, Qtis, GHANMI and 6 others like this.
  7. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    I would expect no less from the Uncharted series as it's always been a Visual Gangbang on the old peepers B-)

Cant wait

8. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    So, uhm, guise... 1080p@60FPS, at least for now. Dis gon b gud, ladies and gentlemen. :yay:

9. Dork

Dork Newbie

If that turns out to be in-game visuals in the final game, that would be fantastic.

As for Uncharted itself, I was never too fond of it. I played the first one and I thought it was too linear for my tastes. Can I expect anything different out of 2 & 3?

10. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They're gradually getting better in my opinion, you should give them another go. From what I understand, 2 gets the most praise. Co-op is especially a lot of fun if you have a split-screen buddy to play with.

11. Dork

Dork Newbie

I'd really like to play them, but
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Foxi4 likes this.
  12. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I would be more impressed if the footage had actually shown anything.

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

In the mid-90s. Before that, she was known by many as "Leisure Suit" Larry Croft.

She tries not to talk about.

Foxi4 and Psionic Roshambo like this.
  14. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    >Doesn't like linearity in games.
    >Likes Final Fantasy XIII

Dark S. pls.

15. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    That is one beautiful engine. The setting kinda gives off a Tomb Raider feeling. :)

16. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Generic shooter with good graphics.

Yup, gon b gud.

17. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Simple question off the top of my head... have you ever played a single Uncharted game in your life?

18. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Simple question off the top of my head... have you ever played a single real game in your life? Was the PS3 your first console? Or was it the Xbox 360?

Dirty console peasant thinks Uncharted is good.

What's next, CoD?

And yes, played and finished Uncharted 1 through 3. Enough to not get hyped by this.

NahuelDS likes this.
  19. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No need to resort to insults, it's a genuine question (which you deliberately avoided, so I'll take that as a "no") EDIT: Seems like you have responded now.

Chances are that I was playing video games back when you were a twinkle in your father's eye, but that's besides the point. You can call Uncharted anything but a "generic shooter" unless your definition of "generic shooter" includes puzzles, treasure hunting, hand-to-hand combat, stealth elements etc. - shooting is prominent in the games, but it's just one of their many elements. The genre you're looking for is "third-person action adventure". Going by your logic, Legend of Zelda games are Hack 'n Slash games because you slash things with a sword. I guess a game's not a real game unless it has the Nintendo logo on it, duly noted, Nintenatkoden. :)

20. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i hope the new team members nail the feeling of uncharted 3, without the repetitive bullshit from uncharted 3, and the poor AI from the last of us.

-another world