endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on installing homebrew sometime soon, but a new update just dropped. Hope to see some clarification on what this new update means as far as patching exploits.
The update patched some ubrelease browser exploits. So what this means to the general crowd is probably a release of these exploits for firmwares 5.5 and under. Best to stay non-updated for now.

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on installing homebrew sometime soon, but a new update just dropped. Hope to see some clarification on what this new update means as far as patching exploits.
WebKit userland was patched. From what I can tell devs intend to release nothing.

Sylen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The update patched some ubrelease browser exploits. So what this means to the general crowd is probably a release of these exploits for firmwares 5.5 and under. Best to stay non-updated for now.

WebKit userland was patched. From what I can tell devs intend to release nothing.

Thanks, all I really want to use homebrew for is to run some wii and gamecube games that are hard to find. I still want to play Splatoon and mk8 online though, so would it really affect me if I get the update?

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, all I really want to use homebrew for is to run some wii and gamecube games that are hard to find. I still want to play Splatoon and mk8 online though, so would it really affect me if I get the update?
Well the WebKit exploit is used to launch the higher level kernel updates, so losing the web exploit also locks you put of any of the publicly known releases coming for 5.4 or 5.5

Edit: you can use vwii hacking if all you want is USB loading for Wii/gc games.

Last edited by LoganK93,

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So far the devs haven't said much either way. There's really no reason to keep the browser userland exploit for 5.4+5.5 a secret now that is has been patched (the 5.5+ kexploit is another matter and it would make sense to keep it a secret for now).

I for one look forward to all those 5.4 console waiters out there (like me) becoming the next 5.3.2 version in terms of current Wii U homebrew. ;)

Last edited by Ichii Giki,

Mr.Plow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry for being new to the scene, but who are these devs?
I just want to check the info from the source, since this forum is a bit of a mess with people contradicting eachother all the time. I just want the name of a handful of people i know i can trust.

Cordre69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I changed my router's password and didn't update my Wii-U. I figured that'd be enough for it not to be able to auto update. Somehow it is either possessed or someone in the house updated the password because I seem to be on 5.5.1 now. If this delays me getting the hacks this month I will be very sad.

Last edited by Cordre69,
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I changed my router's password and didn't update my Wii-U. I figured that'd be enough for it not to be able to auto update. Somehow it is either possessed or someone in the house updated the password because I seem to be on 5.5.1 now. If this delays me getting the hacks this month I will be very sad.

We have to wait it out. Hykem's exploit should work up to 5.5.0, but a few minor Browser exploits were patched in 5.5.1. What I want answered is this: the Web Browser flaws were patched, but was the bug Hykem used also patched?

edit: Replaced "WebKit" with "Browser", they're different terms, to my surprise.

edit 2: The only flaws patched seem to be the Browser ones. Here's clarification from Smea, a hacker involved in the exploits. https://mobile.twitter.com/smealum/status/686701368594178050

Last edited by lonemoonHD,

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As an added bonus, I present to you an observation of what exactly was improved in 5.5.1. (aside from an enhanced user experience, lol)

priority edit a.k.a tl;dr: It seems as if Nintendo had lain its focus on exterminating Browser issues this time around, as there are quite a few at the time of writing. Nothing had been done about the flaws in the OS, so Hykem's exploit would likely work on this version, too.

Features:
Firmware Spoofing*
Title Installation*
RAM Modification*
File Replacement*

Specifics:
Web Browser

important: Only the "key entry points" (Browser) for the mentioned features were patched, meaning that there will likely have to be another way of access to them if you've updated.

Also another rumour has risen in the midst of the update; the change of the update servers themselves. While this, in fact, is just a rumour for the time being, I'd like it if anyone could give their thoughts on this in a future reply.

* Where I got this from: https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanrocks462/status/686987322496270336 and https://mobile.twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/687044338946211840

Last edited by lonemoonHD,
Reactions: 2manyGames2play

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I've entered the TubeHax DNS on my Wii U but can still access youtube... anything else I need to do? Checking for updates manually says I'm up to date (since I'm already on 5.5.0.

Any help? Now 5.5.1 is released I don't even wanna turn it on to test it. :(

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Any help? Now 5.5.1 is released I don't even wanna turn it on to test it. :(
If you blocked auto-updates on your Wii U, you shouldn't be seeing the update automatically on your console if you power it on. You can still choose to postpone the update by a little bit. Also, if you're still able to access YouTube, please modify your Wii U's internet settings more carefully and reboot the console. You should then be seeing an X on the Download Manager icon and be unable to access YouTube.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
If you blocked auto-updates on your Wii U, you shouldn't be seeing the update automatically on your console if you power it on. You can still choose to postpone the update by a little bit. Also, if you're still able to access YouTube, please modify your Wii U's internet settings more carefully and reboot the console. You should then be seeing an X on the Download Manager icon and be unable to access YouTube.

Thanks for the info! so If I'm on 5.4 was there a browser exploit release that I can use? or should I just wait for Hykem's?

FoxMcloud5655

GBATemp Developer
Trophies
Website
foxmcloud.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info! so If I'm on 5.4 was there a browser exploit release that I can use? or should I just wait for Hykem's?
Yes... The newest one supports both 5.4 and 5.5. I'm working on getting the files hosted for everyone who wants to use them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto