Hacking the 3ds will update (better for hackers)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, imagine if the Sudoku exploit still worked, after a System Transfer.

Who would be brave enough to try it though? Hmm...

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, real quick. If I'm wanting to help in hacking the 3DS, what communities should I get involved with? (forums/irc channels) I know my PS3 sources but not so much the 3DS. : /

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
How will this make it easier for hackers? Nintendo will not let people see, let alone write to the places where the firmware lies. Think about it, would you really let just anyone mess around with files that control how charging and power works? How a game is executed from the system menu? How the firmware itself is loaded? Hell if it was like this think how easy it would be to overwrite the first part of the firmware which tells it how to launch and brick the system.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Slynk said:
Also, real quick. If I'm wanting to help in hacking the 3DS, what communities should I get involved with? (forums/irc channels) I know my PS3 sources but not so much the 3DS. : /
dslib.
#3dsdev on efnet

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sprogurt said:
How will this make it easier for hackers? Nintendo will not let people see, let alone write to the places where the firmware lies. Think about it, would you really let just anyone mess around with files that control how charging and power works? How a game is executed from the system menu? How the firmware itself is loaded? Hell if it was like this think how easy it would be to overwrite the first part of the firmware which tells it how to launch and brick the system.

You obviously don't understand how hacking a console works there bud. (I'd face palm here but ... this forum doesn't have one ; ; )

Let me ask you sir, how do you apply a software hack to a console that does not allow you to place files on the system? You can't (that's why the DS didn't have any software hacks). However, getting access to place files on the system opens up a whole new list of possible hacks. Ex: Image overflows, save file hacks, etc.

Hacking is a trial and error field. ^^

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
lol not realy if there is a exploit for the browser they have to fix it as soon as possible. If they don't fix it other can take the exploit and use them to brick the 3ds.

ADD: I think the 3ds has some sort of DEP and other thinks that make the system nearly (99,9%) unhackable but i don't know it.

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is unhackable. If nothing else, there's always a hardware hack possible.
wink.gif

Question is, are there enough dedicated people willing to do it?

Also, a quick google shows that even DEP can be bypassed. ^^

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Slynk said:
Nothing is unhackable. If nothing else, there's always a hardware hack possible.
wink.gif

Question is, are there enough dedicated people willing to do it?

Also, a quick google shows that even DEP can be bypassed. ^^

well DEP can be bypassed but not everywhere. If it is installed good an i think it is it can prevent from executing any code that is loaded as data. hw ok i don't know mutch about hw hacking protection. But there are also ways to prevent the system from getting hacked.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well lets just hope that if someone does discover an exploit or a hack that they keep it to themselves untill nintendo releases atleast the firmware updates that will allow us to get on the store, add a web browser,(flash enabled this time i hope) and the ability to record 3d videos,and maybe sdxc support,would be nice to wait till those things are relaesdbefor a hack is released ,this way nintendo wont know about it and patch it before we get those features in a new firmware, it suck to have to choose between a hacked lower firmware without those features or a newer firmware with those features but no homebrew
id rether it be a flashcard soution thogh, its better than a cfw solution, i would reather have to buy a new flashcard ,even if i means it will cost 100 dollars at first ,than have to go through the aggravation and cat and mouse games of having to play the cfw game lke we are currently doing on the ps3, i love my ds ite and dstwo cause i buy the card and im done,it emulates the cart so it will always work,cfw is always a pain in the ass

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a look at the psp. Future updates had plenty of openings/flaws so who knows what the may update will bring to the 3ds.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
Are you stupid? It never, EVER works this way.
EVER.

It does work out when Nintendo rushes to get new features out. New software means the possibility of new exploits undetected by Nintendo. Do you get what im saying? Im not saying this is always the case, but there is the possibility that Nintendo rushed to get a new product out without testing it throughly for exploits. Just a thought to keep in the back of your head.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
EVER.

Usually when someone has this type of mentality, its later that their proven wrong. Keep an open mind, who knows which firmware version it'll get hacked at. No point in arguing.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slynk said:
(that's why the DS didn't have any software hacks).

FlashMe says hi... Or do you mean using a software exploit to apply said hack?

On the other point... I don't think the update is more likely to introduce more vulnerabilities than it is to fix any. If any have been discovered they are not out in the wild. If they're not out in the wild it is unlikely that Nintendo is aware of them and thus able to fix them. OTOH they are going to introduce a bunch of new features w/ this update. Every one is a new place for a new vulnerability could exist.

The only thing I expect this update to do to curb any "hacking/piracy efforts" is that we'll need to flash our DS flash carts w/ a new boot strap and a new game to spoof so it will work on the 3DS (in DS mode obviously)... Unless you've got an EZ5i, they won't give up Tak for anything. :-)

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
chao1212 said:
EVER.
u srs?
Bannerbomb wasn't possible on wii menu 1.0
They updated their menu, and bannerbomb was possible.

Updates aren't sentient, they only fix things the developer knows about, or adds new things which could be misused.

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
Slynk said:
(that's why the DS didn't have any software hacks).

FlashMe says hi... Or do you mean using a software exploit to apply said hack?

Yes, I meant there were no pure softmods that did not require the use of newly developed hardware to deploy the exploit. ^^

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
TehSkull said:
Lol, imagine if the Sudoku exploit still worked, after a System Transfer.

Who would be brave enough to try it though? Hmm...
I would. Doubt it'll work, though, due to the way transfers are done.
Do you actually have the SudokuHax on your DSi? If you do, I'll fly to your house and hug you myself if you test it on the 3DS.

dragonhan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
chao1212 said:
EVER.
u srs?
Bannerbomb wasn't possible on wii menu 1.0
They updated their menu, and bannerbomb was possible.

Updates aren't sentient, they only fix things the developer knows about, or adds new things which could be misused.
thats exactly my point

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This discussion is weird... stop speculating and wait, we won't know what will (or won't) be released with the update. Two things ARE certain to be unlocked: System Transfer and the Internet Browser. Personally that's what I'm waiting for... and perhaps they'll add new firmware that blocks flashcarts. Personally I don't want them too, but there would be those that debate that point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ