Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Custom Firmware is the answer to Nintendo's ability to brick a 3DS if you put a flashcart in it. Do you think it's possible?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need more COWBELL!

MoreCowbell.jpg

black_cowbell_close.jpg

...that's better.
yay.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
WiiBricker said:
A CFW? lol, you know that FlashMe was then a bad bad choice and that it was completly replaced by flash carts?
It wasn't a "bad bad choice," it was simply made redundant by Slot1 flashcards. But for a while, it was a good alternative to a Passme device. The only downside was that you needed a Passme device in order to install the CFW in the first place, but the first Passmes were huge, cumbersome and ate away at the battery life, and were mostly used to install the FlashMe and then collect dust.

With the 3DS, it all depends on what the CFW will do, but if it enables homebrew, or lets you run, ahem, backups from the SD card, it would be very welcome and probably preferrable to a flashcard.

But all that is still in the future. The 3DS isn't even properly out yet
nyanya.gif
Maybe in a couple years.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
A CFW? lol, you know that FlashMe was then a bad bad choice and that it was completly replaced by flash carts?I have a flashcard and I use FlashMe.
I think the Health and Safety screen bypass alone is worth it.

QUOTE(WiiBricker @ Mar 9 2011, 06:20 PM) It was a bad choice because of the brick risk.
It's a 'bad choice' to let impatient children do many things...
I've FlashMe'd and UnFlashMe'd my DS' more than a few times. and had no problems.
So long as you dont "ZOMG R U DUN YET?!?!?!" or dick around, using FlashMe isn't hard. The tool is simple enough to make, and the actual process isn't hard as long as you can read and follow instructions.

Materials needed:
  • 1 Tooth Pick
  • 1" square of Aluminum foil
  • Scotch/cello tape
  • Scissors or a razor
Making the tool:[*]Cut the 'cone' part of the toothpick off and make sure it's flat with no splinters.[*]Place the aluminum foil on top of the tooth pick and fold two opposite corners down.[*]Gently twist the aluminum foil so it wraps around the tooth pick.[*]Put a layer or two of the clear tape around the foil, even with the top of the toothpick.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Materials needed:
  • 1 Tooth Pick
  • Scotch/cello tape
  • Scissors or a razor
Making the tool:[*]Cut the 'cone' part of the toothpick off and make sure it's flat with no splinters.[*]Place the aluminum foil on top of the tooth pick and fold two opposite corners down.[*]Gently twist the aluminum foil so it wraps around the tooth pick.[*]Put a layer or two of the clear tape around the foil, even with the top of the toothpick.
What do you do with this tool when done?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
_Chaz_ said:
twiztidsinz said:
Materials needed:
  • 1 Tooth Pick
  • Scotch/cello tape
  • Scissors or a razor
What do you do with this tool when done?

Use it as a nifty Glaive for your lego men.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once an exploit is found in the 3DS software (which will happen... eventually) a CFW won't be far off. And I'm pretty sure anyone would prefer a CFW over purchasing a flashcart once all the major bricking bugs are sorted out.

Of course, that's if it's even physically possible to run a 3DS game off of the SD card unless something is hardwired to read only from the game slot. Then it would be just for taking care of AP protection and homebrew using the available hardware through the SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-