Homebrew [Testers needed] Injecting apps to H&S on a GW downgraded NAND

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
If you got CakeHax working it would be bootable from MSET and o3ds browser and it doesn't look like it's too hard to put into a project that already uses Brahma2... just a suggestion
I would love to see that actually, but I'm done with minipasta and am working on other things now. It is open source if someone else wants to make that improvement.

Last edited by zoogie,

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone else researching that GW problem, see the post I quoted above. In the first screenshot, old Decrypt9 (wrongly) chose the old (pre-downgrade) app. There is no error message there, because there is no fragmentation unless GW or rxTools introduce it. In the second screenshot, new Decrypt9 correctly chose the new (after-downgrade) app, but it couldn't process it due to fragmentation.

For me, I guess I can safely say my fix does what it should. I could code routines to write to fragmented files now, but I have my doubts that this is a good idea (will help only in a very small number of cases, and will complicate things for all others / introduce error potential). So, better not. I guess I'll just change the error message to something more fitting.

@ghost789, there is one more thing that you could do (if you are interested in getting this to work): Upgrade your FW to 9.2. You could do so, for example, using a gamecart that has the upgrade on it. There is now next to no reason to stay on 4.x (that I know of, at least). After the upgrade, injection should work again.

Hey d0k3,

I've been stuck in a rut for a little while now, but once I found this thread you solved a lot of my questions.

I have an old 3dsxl on 4.2. I downgraded before using the Gateway thing on my ds flashcart and using the sd card. That was before the best option was to be on 9.2 and I had stopped halfway through before. Basically where I'm at is getting the fragmentation error on the Health&Safety Dump. I saw the comment about dumping the CTRNAND.bin that sounds like it would solve my issue.

Right now I'm stuck at the defrag and chkdsk part on my CTRNAND.bin. I mount the drive with these settings:
Capture2.PNG

Then I analyzed and defragged it with Defraggler with 0% fragmentation after:
Capture3.PNG

You also said to run a chkdsk on the drive to be safe. I ran chkdsk in administrator mode and got this:
Capture.PNG

I'm confused if its dangerous to run the chkdsk f: /F to fix the issues and then "convert the lost chains to files".(I'm not sure what the lost chain thing means)

If the defrag worked correctly shouldn't chkdsk say no errors? Have you run into this before?

Hopefully you have any info that could help me here. I'm wondering if fixing the issues with chkdsk and converting the lost chains to files would be a fine CTRNAND.bin that I could inject without bricking.

Thanks for taking your time to read all this, it would mean a ton to get this project finished! :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-3_5-56-54.png
    upload_2016-4-3_5-56-54.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 179

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey d0k3,

I've been stuck in a rut for a little while now, but once I found this thread you solved a lot of my questions.

I have an old 3dsxl on 4.2. I downgraded before using the Gateway thing on my ds flashcart and using the sd card. That was before the best option was to be on 9.2 and I had stopped halfway through before. Basically where I'm at is getting the fragmentation error on the Health&Safety Dump. I saw the comment about dumping the CTRNAND.bin that sounds like it would solve my issue.

Right now I'm stuck at the defrag and chkdsk part on my CTRNAND.bin. I mount the drive with these settings:
View attachment 44501
Then I analyzed and defragged it with Defraggler with 0% fragmentation after:
View attachment 44502
You also said to run a chkdsk on the drive to be safe. I ran chkdsk in administrator mode and got this:
View attachment 44503

I'm confused if its dangerous to run the chkdsk f: /F to fix the issues and then "convert the lost chains to files".(I'm not sure what the lost chain thing means)

If the defrag worked correctly shouldn't chkdsk say no errors? Have you run into this before?

Hopefully you have any info that could help me here. I'm wondering if fixing the issues with chkdsk and converting the lost chains to files would be a fine CTRNAND.bin that I could inject without bricking.

Thanks for taking your time to read all this, it would mean a ton to get this project finished! :)
I wouldn't inject that back, that smells fishy... Try chkdsk on the untouched CTRNAND (before defragmentation), then let me know th results. A 'lost chain' means some part of a file is no more linked to a file, in essence meaning some of your files may be corrupted.

Reactions: AerGolem55

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap, that's not good. Ok I'll run the chkdsk on a fresh dumped CTRNAND from my 3ds when I get back to my pc and post the results.

If the untouched one comes back with issues what could that mean? It's ok to inject? Or something worse, haha.

Thanks again for taking the time to help, means a lot.

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran the chkdsk on the untouched CTRNAND without fragmenting it and it came back with the same exact cmd screen as in my last post. It still says convert the lost chains to files (Y/N)

Should I delete my last post, or combine them? I would have just edited it but I don't know if it would alert you.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I ran the chkdsk on the untouched CTRNAND without fragmenting it and it came back with the same exact cmd screen as in my last post. It still says convert the lost chains to files (Y/N).
Okay... I'll tell you your options then. [1] assume it is nothing bad, inject defragmented image back (in theory, Defraggler can't make the current state worse, so everything will be as before). [2] Give FBI injection up. Take note that the rxTools method of injecting FBI is even more dangerous in your current state. And thank GW for this messup, too.

In any case, it might be better to resume from a pre-GW-downgrade backup.

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have so many files all over the place I'm not even sure where to begin with the pre GW backups.

Is there any form of a backup I can do before I inject the defragged image back in just to be safe? Or if it fails is just bricked for good?

I'm nervous about rolling the dice on bricking it but in the end, like you said, the defragged CTRNAND shouldn't be any more dangerous than it was before the defrag.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have so many files all over the place I'm not even sure where to begin with the pre GW backups.

Is there any form of a backup I can do before I inject the defragged image back in just to be safe? Or if it fails is just bricked for good?

I'm nervous about rolling the dice on bricking it but in the end, like you said, the defragged CTRNAND shouldn't be any more dangerous than it was before the defrag.
I have one thing that you can try... You can try that defragged CTRNAND out on EmuNAND. That means cloning your current SysNAND to EmuNAND, do the defrag and inject there, see if it runs. If it does, it is pretty safe to have this on SysNAND. Other than this, a standard SysNAND backup at least allows you to go back with a hardmod. In the worst case, that is.

EDIT: With stuff like this, I also always have to add that one way or the other, you proceed at your own risk. That risk should be pretty low of you do as I told you, though.

Last edited by d0k3,

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running it in EmuNAND sounds like an amazing idea! Do you mind writing me a quick guide on cloning the sysNAND to the EmuNAND?

Or directing me to a tutorial that fits my situation. I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

And I understand what you mean about the risk. I'm really confident in your knowledge, and if I should screw something up I wouldn't blame you! Haha!

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Running it in EmuNAND sounds like an amazing idea! Do you mind writing me a quick guide on cloning the sysNAND to the EmuNAND?

Or directing me to a tutorial that fits my situation. I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

And I understand what you mean about the risk. I'm really confident in your knowledge, and if I should screw something up I wouldn't blame you! Haha!
EmuNAND9 does that. Just use a secondery SD card to run the complete setup, and that will also clone your SysNAND to EmuNAND. Then, setup CFW anew and continue from there.

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I ran the EmuNAND9 complete setup onto another sd card. After it rebooted it created that "Nintendo 3DS" folder on the sd card and it has an EmuNAND9 folder with nothing in it. I'm sure you're sick of me bothering you, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks again!

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok I ran the EmuNAND9 complete setup onto another sd card. After it rebooted it created that "Nintendo 3DS" folder on the sd card and it has an EmuNAND9 folder with nothing in it. I'm sure you're sick of me bothering you, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks again!
Well, there is a copy of your SysNAND in that EmuNAND now. You can now inject the defragged CTRNAND into this and try if it still runs. If it does, you can make the leap of faith, meaning: inject the defragged CTRNAND into SysNAND, then continue with what you wanted to do initially.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok so leave those folders the way they where and continue with the updater?
With the updater? No, do this, using Decrypt9WIP. For testing purposes, if it runs on EmuNAND there are good chances it will on SysNAND, too. For setting up a CFW you are on your own.
You can now inject the defragged CTRNAND into this and try if it still runs. If it does, you can make the leap of faith, meaning: inject the defragged CTRNAND into SysNAND, then continue with what you wanted to do initially.

AerGolem55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see, sorry! As you can tell most of the time I'm doing this is at 2-4 in the morning in my area. Thanks to my newborn who is having health issues and needs to be watched at night I have a lot of sleepless free time. Tired + a lot of thinking = brain farts.

One other question: should I dump the CTRNAND again onto this new sd card and defrag it? Or should I transfer the one from before?

Last edited by AerGolem55,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rolleyes: