Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

Phantombrainm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think he wants his games that have multiple languages to fully work in these languages instead of just the UI, if I'm not mistaken.

You're right, Aeter. If you put a European game into an Italian GBA its in Italian language. If you put it into a German one its in German Language and so on... There is no option to change it. Its controlled by the BIOS of the respective country as I know. English ist just the fallback if the cartridge does not have the country and translations.

But if Nebuleon does not know how its controlled its a bad news because im unfortunatly not a programmer and can't help.

But I can translate the GUI into German if there are any translations left. Just PM me.

regards,
PhantombrainM

syrusch

Trophies
Website
www.stut.ch
XP
Country
Swaziland
False, if you put an europeene game on any gba for the first time and before the first ^save, you can choose the language to play the game if the game has Multi language.

If you put Zelda minish cap, you can adjust the language cos this game is Multi5. Some game are Multi2 - english only - etc...

The bios is not involved in the language setting.

Phantombrainm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
False, if you put an europeene game on any gba for the first time and before the first ^save, you can choose the language to play the game if the game has Multi language.

If you put Zelda minish cap, you can adjust the language cos this game is Multi5. Some game are Multi2 - english only - etc...

The bios is not involved in the language setting.

Hm, i did not own Zelda. Maybe its game specific to select the language in some games and its saving it.

I don't know if i am allowed to post links but have a look over to no$gba emulator. The only way to change language in european games is to select different BIOS file.

regards
PhantombrainM

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA beta version 3 is now available.
* 32 MiB .zip ROMs extract correctly again. They extract outside of the GAMES directory because having a $tmp.gba file in there is unsightly.
* Fix a bug whereby, after loading a saved state, there is a desynchronisation between the PSG channels and the Direct Sound channels. This has broken saved states again!
* The saved state deletion menu now deletes the correct number of saved states, either one or all, for the currently selected row.
* A new Basic Initialisation Error screen has made its way into this version. If it appears, it will refer you to the README.md file.

Reactions: Geren

lichao8872

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
* 32 MiB .zip ROMs extract correctly again. They extract outside of the GAMES directory because having a $tmp.gba file in there is unsightly.
* Fix a bug whereby, after loading a saved state, there is a desynchronisation between the PSG channels and the Direct Sound channels. This has broken saved states again!
* The saved state deletion menu now deletes the correct number of saved states, either one or all, for the currently selected row.
* A new Basic Initialisation Error screen has made its way into this version. If it appears, it will refer you to the README.md file.
The beta3 download url is error. :P

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why do we have to have the GBA Bios now? Is it to make the code more clean and efficient?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA beta 4 is released. It includes the following improvements.

* A "Return to main menu" hotkey, which works alongside touching the lower screen. This uses text in all 8 languages from CATSFC.
* Prevent the path from flashing at the top of a file selector when moving between files.
* The "Save a screenshot" and Language options work with touch. Touch handling code is also completely revamped.
* Hopefully stop some button press/release recognition lag in the menu. Please give feedback about this.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
  • Lack of button recognition happens much less often now, though rapid presses aren't recognized, that's fine with me.

• There's serious audio degradation at anything other than auto-frameskip. Even frameskip 3 and up on light games like Circle Of The Moon exhibit this. Not sure when this was introduced, I skipped messing with a version or two.

• When using the touch screen to enter one of the main menu options and then going back, the cursor stays at the last-highlighted entry, it doesn't jump to the menu that was touched to enter. *nitpick*

• Zelda: Minish Cap seems to have a serious issue now that wasn't in earlier versions. The file select/load screen doesn't work properly. The file selection boxes slide down off the screen, and the game doesn't appear to respond to input at that point (no sounds are made that would normally be used when moving the cursor/selection around).

• Tales Of Phantasia's intro scene (and presumably the overworld itself when reached) won't blend properly.
    Tales_of_Phantasia_0328221525.png

• Is PNG possible for screenshots?

mikeyisdead

Mikki is Alive
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im getting white screen
when loaded up
Mario Kart - Super Circuit
Mega Man Zero
Pokemon - Crystal Dust Version
all the same
D:

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll issue a beta 5 once I know all the changes that broke games. Thanks for your testing and your list of games that went bad.

Unfortunately, I merely enabled optimised code that was present but disabled in gpSP Kai. That means I can't do anything for game compatibility in the core until I understand the entire ARM-to-MIPS recompilation process. If I try any more changes in the core, I will break things more than I make them work, unlike my work in CATSFC.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Replying inline in bold.
  • Lack of button recognition happens much less often now, though rapid presses aren't recognized, that's fine with me.
    Neb: Good on the button recognition, and the rapid button press recognition is because there's a 200 millisecond delay before a button will be reported as pressed again.
  • There's serious audio degradation at anything other than auto-frameskip. Even frameskip 3 and up on light games like Circle Of The Moon exhibit this. Not sure when this was introduced, I skipped messing with a version or two.
    Neb: I've been trying to tweak the audio buffering and probably "broke" and "fixed" it many times for different configurations, but I always concentrate on auto frameskip. NDSGBA 1.21 and 1.30 both crapped out much worse than this on any other frameskip.
  • When using the touch screen to enter one of the main menu options and then going back, the cursor stays at the last-highlighted entry, it doesn't jump to the menu that was touched to enter. *nitpick*
    Neb: That's the touch handling code not activating the item first. I'll see what I can do about that.
  • Zelda: Minish Cap, Tales of Phantasia, insert incompatibilities here
    Neb: (Answered above with the beta 5 link)
  • Is PNG possible for screenshots?
    Neb: I doubt libpng and its complexity will fit in 256 KiB of code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ