Hacking Question (technically speaking) If I back up only, will I get banned?

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So I am deciding wether or not to get a Tx os and what not, Or Atmosphere if that has backup loading.
But, I only plan to use my dumps, so I don't have to carry all my carts around, and it's legal.
Since I am dumping my own games, and using my backups solely, I shouldn't get banned since they have only been used on my switch, right?

If you don't believe I plan to use it only for Backups, Pretend that I am.

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This has been answered a billion times. Please search more before creating a thread, or ask in a noob questions thread

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you'll do. If you modify your switch, even for "legit" use, you're breaking nintendo's TOS and therefore become eligible for a ban (if they detect you and care)

Last edited by lukhart,

Revard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think Nintendo goes through the effort to differentiate between the source of backups.
There should be a significant lesser risk if you plan to play your backup online, but there's no 100% safety.
I think your system could get already flagged for a ban because you used a backup loader or even CFW.

Last edited by Revard,

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This has been answered a billion times. Please search more before creating a thread, or ask in a noob questions thread

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you'll do. If you modify your switch, even for "legit" use, you're breaking nintendo's TOS and therefore becomes eligible for a ban (if they detect you and care)
oops, I thought I searched, But I guess not ahaha

Reactions: lukhart

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Only one of those actually pertained to my question... and even that was barely

Read op again, I'm talking about my private dumps, not re downloading E-shop games, Not "changing headers", not nintendo doing mass bans, not any of that.

Edit: did you guys even read the damn first post
All of them have something in common we dont know. Just wait

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Only one of those actually pertained to my question... and even that was barely

Read op again, I'm talking about my private dumps, not re downloading E-shop games, Not "changing headers", not nintendo doing mass bans, not any of that.

The situations or use don't matter. If you hack and go online, you're at a risk. Sure, doing some things could be more riskier than others, but you still take a chance on getting a ban regardless. And at this point no one knows 100% what is safe or not, the scene is in it's early stages. The bans we've heard are about using CDN and cheating, but Ninty could be watching in silence waiting for some big banwave.

TD;DR: if you want to be 100% safe, don't hack, or hack and never go online until we know more.

Last edited by lukhart,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo bans people based on whether or not they violate their terms of service. While making a backup is legal, they still reserve the right to ban you. Loading the backups definitely involves some sort of modification to the console that they would also believe is ban-worthy. Basically, yes you can get banned for even dumping your own games.

Reactions: Trappie

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo bans people based on whether or not they violate their terms of service. While making a backup is legal, they still reserve the right to ban you. Loading the backups definitely involves some sort of modification to the console that they would also believe is ban-worthy. Basically, yes you can get banned for even dumping your own games.
That really depends on the Country you stay in. Here in Scotland TOS are illegal and you can legally modify your console and play backups of games you own. Here Sony and Microsoft just received huge fines for refusing to repair consoles that had been modified. Several people took them to court and won because like i said TOS are illegal here.

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Did you even searched before crating another damn thread? I found those in 30 seconds (you can search by your self, there are dozens of threads created every day asking the same thing). Injecting a damn header (of your own games) is the same as using your private dumps. Not only one thread answered to your question, all of them say that we dont know if nintendo will ban us, even the faq of Team Xecuter says that. If you really care about being banned just wait until someone reports something, in my opinion using your private header is safe
but we dont know how will Nintendo will react

Doneo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you'll do. If you modify your switch, even for "legit" use, you're breaking nintendo's TOS and therefore become eligible for a ban (if they detect you and care)

They are without doubt going to go the Microsoft and Sony route; ban upon connection/detection. Even if syscall patches and stealth techniques are worked out it will always be a cat and mouse game until Nintendo decides to abandon the console. Its not even piracy that is the main issue, its the online service being compromised. The press would hurt their first true foray into an online ecosystem to much. You've got to remember how much Nintendo likes to control their narrative; E3 proved that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...