Discussion Will there Ever be Online Ban Invincibility?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by coon-strudel, Jun 14, 2018.

1. coon-strudel
    OP

coon-strudel That one weird Furry Artist

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    On the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, we have it where even if using CFW and playing backups online, Nintendo doesn't seem to recognize the difference between that and playing officially.
    The only cases I can think of, is if we're using cheats, or brazenly doing something that is clearly not supposed to be done in a game.
    I mean, we even have it where we can use stage and character mods with Smash 4 and go online completely fine. (Has to be a specific mod though)

So then, I don't think it was ever really specified if you can go online with the SX Pro, or even Atmosphere and not get spotted using the CFW. I'm guessing TX never tested it?
    I'd just like to know the odds of someone actually getting caught.

Switch development is moving along extremely fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to think of a solution or loophole. We could just wait to see, or get updates about it, but I was just curious if anyone knows.

Also, what is the problem? Nintendo recognizing that the FW isn't official, or that the game isn't?

Thanks! :)

2. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The "problem" is unknown. We don't know how or if Nintendo will detect unofficial software. All we know for sure is that its very possible to detect in a variety of ways. The best bet would be to stay offline if you use any hax at all. Chances are slim we will ever be 100% safe online with a hacked device. Honestly it's silly to ever believe you are. Simply put it a game of cat and mouse and we the mice are waiting to see what the big bad cat Nintendo does.

coon-strudel likes this.
  3. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Nobody knows yet. Cant we wait until we actually have a game loader to start making these threads?

There's probably 20+ speculation threads a day right now. Just wait and we'll find out soon enough.

For now it's all 100% pure speculation

4. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Just take your ban like a man, cry and go and buy a second switch. Jesus... you are never safe. Ever! Hacked consoles should be kept offline. That's what most of us did with Xbox 360 and PS3s.

SocraticBliss and Yepi69 like this.
  5. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    I believe the correct answer is: Eventually.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

coon-strudel likes this.
  6. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The correct answer is never. We will never be 100% safe online.

Centergaming and coon-strudel like this.
  7. Cubuss

Cubuss GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    Yes there is already,

Don't use homebrew
    Don't use cfw
    Don't use backup-loaders,
    Don't modify code on ur switch and or games,
    Don't do anything Nintendo Doesnt want you to do,
    Don't Violate Nintendos Terms And Condition

And you wont be banned :)

Minox likes this.
  8. SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Here's an absolutely craaaazy idea: don't play pirated games online.
    Simple. I mean preferably not at all, but I can't stop you.

Indigo Marz likes this.
  9. coon-strudel
    OP

coon-strudel That one weird Furry Artist

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    But some of them don't have to be offline.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Why would I be here then? lol

The early bird catches the hacked worm?
    Edit: Plus with SX Pro on the horizon, I just thought now would be an appropriate time.

I mean, if the chances of ban are slim, and someone made the tools for it to be decently avoidable, I don't see why one wouldn't give it a try.

Perhaps I worded my question wrong. Does anyone think we'll reach a point where getting detected isn't 100% possible, but there is a good chance you won't be? That's pretty much all I'm asking. Maybe a bigger question would be if TX has figured out how fast or efficiently Nintendo spots and bans you.

Never 100% safe, yes, but I worded my question badly. of course nobody is ever untouchable.

Last edited by coon-strudel, Jun 14, 2018
  10. Can

Can Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Some people don't have the money to buy a second switch, not everyone can afford two.

coon-strudel likes this.
  11. Jungle_Jon

Jungle_Jon GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2015
    Played online nearly ever day with LT 3.0 and then xkey 360.
    If you never go online, then you effectively have a banded console anyway so have nothing to loose .

coon-strudel likes this.
  12. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    I'm going to play the devil's advocate here, but a backup isn't always a pirated game. But I know we are on GBAtemp so it is probably true for 100% of the users here...

iRawriLaugh and coon-strudel like this.
  13. SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Am I the only one here that uses the term "backup" legitimately?
    When I say "backup" I am referring to dumps I made of games I legitimately purchased.

jimmyj likes this.
  14. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    about 3.14 meters . Soon TM.

15. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    It's unlikely we will ever reach a point where you are "unlikely" to get banned. I mean for one thing g we don't know how they check or even what they are checking for. Furthermore if we find a way to prevent them sniffing us out in one way there are plenty more ways to detect unauthorized software. It will be a never ending battle the entire life of the device. Once they stop maintaining the network bans will stop but until then it's a game of cat and mouse. We bassically have to wait for them to make there move and respond accordingly.

This means they must make a choice. Online play or Homebrew/free games

16. jimmyj

jimmyj Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    yes.

17. SocraticBliss

SocraticBliss GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2017
    United States
    I hope they ban everyone who even attempts to use cheats online that impact the game for the legit players... if you are spiteful enough to ruin the game for others, then you deserve to get banned, simple.

18. NO_ob

NO_ob GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    pirated games might be fine onine if you inject a header from another game into the xci before installing it. It worked fine on 3ds

19. tides

tides GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    on the 3ds, it isn't a ban bypass but you have to reinstall the entire emunand. this is because the emunand is recognized as a separate nand. if you are willing to format your 3ds every few days....then yea, i guess you will enjoy the bypass

20. IPLbug

IPLbug Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    Under Your bed stealing your data
    I think the only sensible way to verify this would be to run a sandbox environment of the switch with a burner account. That being said I think no such environment has be published, the emulators of the switch could be posible to use as a test method but none of the 2 out have internet connectivity as to my knowledge as of yet. I'll recomend just avoiding online all together for a month after the CFW is released to see how Nintendo decides to start detecting modded consoles.
    I would as a code writer be almost sure they will query the console ones connected online to there network about if files with xxxx name is on the sd as a fast search and destroy function. They already do check your sd or internal storage for DLC content when online play is used any way so it be trivial to just add this flag check in my view. I've personally purchased a secondary sd for homebrew for this exact reason