Restoring Original Firmware

starburst

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This Switch came originally with firmware version 4.0.1. I made a backup of it before using custom firmware, Atmosphere has been used since day one, and the system has been updated through ChoiDujour and AutoRCM (the original firmware remains at 4.0.1 and has not been booted into after Atmosphere was first used.)

The currently installed custom firmware is 7.0.1. Yes, this means that this console has not been used in years, and every custom-firmware component is also a couple of years old.

I would like to restore its original firmware, so that it can be used "legally", for maintaining custom firmware and installing ROM's would be cumbersome for non-technical users.
(At least years ago installing games into custom firmware was cumbersome for me too, and one of the reasons why it remained in the shelf.)

Some questions:

1. From what I have read, I think that I can restore my original backup using Hekate. Am I right?

2. What about AutoRCM? Does restoring my original backup disables AutoRCM? Should I disable it before the backup restoration?

3. Since this console has never, ever used WiFi, I want to believe that it is impossible that it could be banned.
What is the easiest way to test it? Trying to buy a game from the Nintendo Store?

Thank you for your help.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
2. What about AutoRCM? Does restoring my original backup disables AutoRCM? Should I disable it before the backup restoration?
You need to restore it in order to boot into the OFW automatically.
AutoRCM intentionally corrupts the boot sequence so it automatically starts waiting for a payload to be injected.
Afaik it is not part of the backup you once made.

3. Since this console has never, ever used WiFi, I want to believe that it is impossible that it could be banned.
What is the easiest way to test it? Trying to buy a game from the Nintendo Store?
Go into the eShop install a trial game that uses online gaming.
If all goes well, you should be able to play the game online without any problems.
If the game won't install or you can't play online, then you're usually banned already.

starburst

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry for the late update. It was a busy week at the office.
Thank you both on your replies.

What is your fuse count?, check Hekate.
Hekate says 5 /64. I have no idea what that means.

Also, according to the last game saves, I last played it in mid-late 2019. I could not believe that it had been stored for four whole years!

The situation has changed a bit: a friend is interested in purchasing this console for his little brother, and they would like to keep using it with custom firmware. Assuming that it is relatively easy for them to maintain it, without depending on me to install every game or so.
I would probably still need to restore my original firmware, but I would then setup emuNAND.

In general, how has the scene evolved in the last four years? Any important quality-of-life improvements?

For example, is it now possible to (actually) turn off the console and start it directly into CFW without manually injecting the payload?

Is it easier to install ROMs downloaded from the internet?
Back then I downloaded the games on my computer, divided them into smaller parts, then copied them into the SD card, united the parts and then installed them with GoldLeaf. There might have been some some decryption involved (cannot remember.)

I read that it is now possible to use Bluetooth controls within CFW without relying on 8bitdo adapters.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late update. It was a busy week at the office.
Thank you both on your replies.

Hekate says 5 /64. I have no idea what that means.

Also, according to the last game saves, I last played it in mid-late 2019. I could not believe that it had been stored for four whole years!

The situation has changed a bit: a friend is interested in purchasing this console for his little brother, and they would like to keep using it with custom firmware. Assuming that it is relatively easy for them to maintain it, without depending on me to install every game or so.
I would probably still need to restore my original firmware, but I would then setup emuNAND.

In general, how has the scene evolved in the last four years? Any important quality-of-life improvements?

For example, is it now possible to (actually) turn off the console and start it directly into CFW without manually injecting the payload?

Is it easier to install ROMs downloaded from the internet?
Back then I downloaded the games on my computer, divided them into smaller parts, then copied them into the SD card, united the parts and then installed them with GoldLeaf. There might have been some some decryption involved (cannot remember.)

I read that it is now possible to use Bluetooth controls within CFW without relying on 8bitdo adapters.

What is says next to Burnt fuses (ODM 7/6) ? it has a number that is your burnt fuse count. Firmware 7.0.1 expect 9 burnt fuse.

starburst

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
What is says next to Burnt fuses (ODM 7/6) ? it has a number that is your burnt fuse count. Firmware 7.0.1 expect 9 burnt fuse.
It says nothing next to 5 /64.
In that same screen states that the SKU is 83 - Retail, that the Sdram ID is 0 and the Secure key is shown.
The original firmware version is 4.0.1, and 5 /64 seems to be coherent with that.

Note that Hekate is at version 4.10.1, which was the latest in 2019 but probably very outdated now, and it might show less information than what you expect these days.

Regarding the restoration of the original firmware.

- If I restore my original firmware (4.0.1) and delete CFW traces, the fuse count should remain the same for I never updated it and nothing would point to a newer firmware version. Right?

- What are the advantages of preserving my original firmware at 4.0.1 today?
Originally, there was hope for a more convenient hacking method, but it has been four years and this does not seem to have changed.

- Could I update it to the latest retail version (17) and then set up emuNAND and configure CFW?
I guess that then only the latest NAND backup would be valid, for fuses would be checked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto